whole archive linkage

Adam Boseley
Hi All,

I have a library that must be linked with -Wl,--whole-archive -lyourlib

The library contains a static which registers itself in its constructor. This problem is described here
http://stackoverflow.com/a/842770

Is there a target property I can set on this library so consumers of the library automatically get whole archive linkage when including this library.

Regards,
Adam

Re: whole archive linkage

braden
On Sat, 2015-01-24 at 13:41 +1000, Adam wrote:

> The library contains a static which registers itself in its
> constructor. This problem is described here
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/842770

As something of an aside to your question, I don't know that I accept
that as a sane use case.  C++ doesn't guarantee that (in that example) m
will be constructed before h.  If m is not constructed first,
construction of h calls operator[] on an uninitialized object.

--
Braden McDaniel <[hidden email]>

Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>

Re: whole archive linkage

Adam Boseley
On Sat, 2015-01-24 at 01:43 -0500, Braden McDaniel wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-01-24 at 13:41 +1000, Adam wrote:
>
> > The library contains a static which registers itself in its
> > constructor. This problem is described here
> > http://stackoverflow.com/a/842770
>
> As something of an aside to your question, I don't know that I accept
> that as a sane use case.  C++ doesn't guarantee that (in that example) m
> will be constructed before h.  If m is not constructed first,
> construction of h calls operator[] on an uninitialized object.

I agree.  The actually legacy library I'm using has wrapped the global
map 'm' inside a singleton which I believe resolves the static ordering
issue.

I currently have to specify something like the following for every
application that wants to use this library

target_link_libraries(
   Application
   -Wl,--whole-archive -llegacyLib -Wl,--no-whole-archive
   libA
   libB )

I was hoping there might have been a better way to do this with target
properties of legacyLib.

~Adam

Re: whole archive linkage

Stephen Kelly-2
Adam wrote:

> I was hoping there might have been a better way to do this with target
> properties of legacyLib.

There is with cmake 3.1:

 set(isExe $<STREQUAL:$<TARGET_PROPERTY:TYPE>,EXECUTABLE>)
 target_sources(legacyLib INTERFACE
  "$<${isExe}:${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/use_symbol.cpp>")

LegacyLib provides a simple source file which gets compiled into executables
linking to it, and the source file invokes the singleton or whatever.

This kind of use-case was the primary motivation for target_sources.

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/7082

Thanks,

Steve.