where are the output files?

Glenn Hughes
Ok, this is something that I thought was going to be easy, but I
really can't figure it out...
I've written a python script to smash my private frameworks into my
built application, but, I need to know exactly where the frameworks
and the app have been built.
I know I can control the top-level binary directory for each target
when I do my ADD_SUBDIRECTORY, and I know each target's name, since I
specify that, but I can't figure out how to find the current build
configuration...

For example, here's the information I need:
/Users/me/Proj/build/App/Debug/MyApp.app/
/Users/me/Proj/build/Framework/Debug/MyFramework.framework/

The only part of this path that isn't under my control is the "Debug" part...

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of paths floating around in the
CMake universe. I've printed a bunch of them out, but none of them
seem to be what I'm after.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: where are the output files?

Michael Jackson
Some projects have CMake code in the top most CMakeLists.txt file such
as the following:

# ---------- Setup output Directories -------------------------
SET (CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin)

# --------- Setup the executable output Directory -------------
SET (CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin )

# --------- Setup the static Lib output Directory -------------
SET (CMAKE_ARCHIVE_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin )

So what this would do for your project would be to put all the final
built products in /Users/me/Proj/build/Bin/Debug/   (at least for an
Xcode project).

You may also want to look at the actual CMake Source code in the
"Tests" directory. There is an example on how to write the CMake code
to generate an OS X Framework.

There is also <http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/BundleUtilitiesExample> that
explains how to use the "BundleUtilities" functions that will take
care of using the 'install_name_tool' to correctly set the
install_name of the framework and copy it into the Application Bundle.
There is a downloadable Qt based project to use as an example.

  Hope some of that helps.

Mike Jackson

On Dec 8, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Glenn Hughes wrote:

> Ok, this is something that I thought was going to be easy, but I
> really can't figure it out...
> I've written a python script to smash my private frameworks into my
> built application, but, I need to know exactly where the frameworks
> and the app have been built.
> I know I can control the top-level binary directory for each target
> when I do my ADD_SUBDIRECTORY, and I know each target's name, since I
> specify that, but I can't figure out how to find the current build
> configuration...
>
> For example, here's the information I need:
> /Users/me/Proj/build/App/Debug/MyApp.app/
> /Users/me/Proj/build/Framework/Debug/MyFramework.framework/
>
> The only part of this path that isn't under my control is the
> "Debug" part...
>
> I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of paths floating around in the
> CMake universe. I've printed a bunch of them out, but none of them
> seem to be what I'm after.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Re: where are the output files?

Glenn Hughes
For a Xcode specific solution to this see my specFramework
Installation Directory / Framework copying thread.