Quantcast

"cl" is not able to compile -VS2010 C1060: compiler out of heap space

"cl" is not able to compile -VS2010 C1060: compiler out of heap space

Nelis
Hi

CMake 2.8.6, newly installed VS2010, previously VS2005 (dir renamed for now), XPSP3, swap space 5GB.

Running configure freshly after the cache is deleted, on two different CMakeLists project files.

CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52 (MESSAGE):
  The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test program.
  Run Build Command:C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com
  CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec
  Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Version 10.0.40219.1.
  1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
  1> testCCompiler.c
  1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space
  ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped   ==========
  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:16 (PROJECT)

The same little cmake test program compiles inside VS2010 IDE.

The CMakeLists project file works on other PCs, but not mine.

Could it be as a result of stuff from previous VS versions lying around?
- cleaned out all environmental variables
- renamed VS2005 directory to false name, so that paths to VS2005 won't work.

Any idea where I can start to search for the solution?

regards

nelis

Re: "cl" is not able to compile -VS2010 C1060: compiler out of heap space

John Drescher-2
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Nelis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> CMake 2.8.6, newly installed VS2010, previously VS2005 (dir renamed for
> now), XPSP3, swap space 5GB.
>
> Running configure freshly after the cache is deleted, on two different
> CMakeLists project files.
>
> CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
> 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52 (MESSAGE):
>  The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test program.
>  Run Build Command:C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com
>  CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec
>  Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Version 10.0.40219.1.
>  1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec, Configuration: Debug
> Win32 ------
>  1> testCCompiler.c
>  1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space
>  ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped
> ==========
>  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>  CMakeLists.txt:16 (PROJECT)
>
> The same little cmake test program compiles inside VS2010 IDE.
>
> The CMakeLists project file works on other PCs, but not mine.
>
> Could it be as a result of stuff from previous VS versions lying around?
> - cleaned out all environmental variables
> - renamed VS2005 directory to false name, so that paths to VS2005 won't
> work.

I have 5 versions of Visual Studio installed on my 64 bit windows 7
box at work and CMake-2.6.1 still works with the versions of VS I
tested (2008,2010) Did you rename VS2005 before or after you had this
problem?

> Any idea where I can start to search for the solution?
>
> regards
>
> nelis

John M. Drescher

Re: "cl" is not able to compile -VS2010 C1060: compiler out of heap space

Nelis
Hi John

>I have 5 versions of Visual Studio installed on my 64 bit windows 7
>box at work and CMake-2.6.1 still works with the versions of VS I
>tested (2008,2010) Did you rename VS2005 before or after you had this
>problem?

Renamed VS2005 after finding the heap problem on building CMake project sln files,
but outcome still the same before and after renaming.

Working through the few CMake files after CMaking, I find no 'incorrect' path.

Immediately after deleting cache, on configure, I find this:
1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> testCCompiler.c
1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space

when I configure again, but with cache intact, I find different warnings, same error:
1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>cl : Command line warning D9035: option 'GZ' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
1>cl : Command line warning D9036: use 'RTC1' instead of 'GZ'
1> testCCompiler.c
1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space

could it be attributable to VS2010 picking up some setting from VS2005 on install?

thanks

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Nelis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John
>
>>I have 5 versions of Visual Studio installed on my 64 bit windows 7
>>box at work and CMake-2.6.1 still works with the versions of VS I
>>tested (2008,2010) Did you rename VS2005 before or after you had this
>>problem?
>
> Renamed VS2005 after finding the heap problem on building CMake project sln
> files,
> but outcome still the same before and after renaming.
>
> Working through the few CMake files after CMaking, I find no 'incorrect'
> path.
>
> Immediately after deleting cache, on configure, I find this:
> 1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec, Configuration: Debug
> Win32 ------
> 1> testCCompiler.c
> 1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space
>
> when I configure again, but with cache intact, I find different warnings,
> same error:
> 1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec, Configuration: Debug
> Win32 ------
> 1>cl : Command line warning D9035: option 'GZ' has been deprecated and will
> be removed in a future release
> 1>cl : Command line warning D9036: use 'RTC1' instead of 'GZ'
> 1> testCCompiler.c
> 1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space
>
> could it be attributable to VS2010 picking up some setting from VS2005 on
> install?

Have you installed the VS2010 SP1 yet? If not please do so. There are
a few serious compiler bugs that I have seen. Although I have not seen
this one in my testing.

John

Re: "cl" is not able to compile -VS2010 C1060: compiler out of heap space

Nelis
Hi John

Yes installed SP1 immediately after the base system. No other updates though.
Strange behaviour that the clean cache compile should differ from the filled cache compile.
BTW, thanks for your time.

rgds

nelis

To unsubscribe from "cl" is not able to compile -VS2010 C1060: compiler out of heap space, click here.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Nelis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Yes installed SP1 immediately after the base system. No other updates
> though.
> Strange behaviour that the clean cache compile should differ from the filled
> cache compile.
> BTW, thanks for your time.

What generator are you selecting?

John

Re: "cl" is not able to compile -VS2010 C1060: compiler out of heap space

Nelis
Hi John

It is quite a few days later now, and I dropped all attempts to solve this problem - when I get the time I will install everything afresh on my notebook.

as workarounds I am working on my desktop during the day and on a Virtualbox Windws on my notevook install at night.

thanks for your time last week!

regards

nelis