"Interface not registered" error in Visual Studio after running cmake

"Interface not registered" error in Visual Studio after running cmake

Mark Jones-3
When I ran cmake for the first time it registered itself with Visual Studio 2005.  Now that it has done so, if I try to right click on any of my macros (including those that existed prior to running cmake) and choose Edit to edit the macros, a dialog comes up that says "Error", "Interface not registered" and the VB editor never opens with my macro source code.  Has anyone seen this and is there a way to repair my installation of VS without completely reinstalling it?

Mark

Re: "Interface not registered" error in Visual Studio after running cmake

David Cole
All CMake does is create a directory and copy a file to your user macros folder and add some registry keys to tell Visual Studio that macros are there.

The folder is something like:
{YOUR_MY_DOCUMENTS_FOLDER}\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\VSMacros80\CMakeMacros

And the reg keys are at something like:
Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\{VERSION_NUMBER}\\vsmacros\\OtherProjects7
    (one of the subkeys of that key is the one that CMake added... probably the one with the highest number -- just look at its Path reg value to see which one points to the CMake macros file...)

You can just delete the macros and the reg keys to see if that fixes it.

I'm doubtful that CMake is the cause of these woes, though. I've never heard this sort of report before -- are you up to date with respect to VS service packs and updates?

HTH,
David

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Mark Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I ran cmake for the first time it registered itself with Visual Studio 2005.  Now that it has done so, if I try to right click on any of my macros (including those that existed prior to running cmake) and choose Edit to edit the macros, a dialog comes up that says "Error", "Interface not registered" and the VB editor never opens with my macro source code.  Has anyone seen this and is there a way to repair my installation of VS without completely reinstalling it?

Mark

Re: "Interface not registered" error in Visual Studio after running cmake

Mark Jones-3
Hi David,

I am up to date on my service packs.  It is possible that something else other than cmake is at fault here as I can not say with 100% certainty that I could edit macros immediately before the cmake install (it has been weeks since I last edited a macro), but I wanted to check with the list in case others have run into this.

Mark