project() with ASM fails with MSVC 19

Robert Dailey-2
Using CMake 3.9, I do this:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.9)
project(libpng VERSION 1.6.33 LANGUAGES ASM C)

I get the following error:

-- The ASM compiler identification is unknown
-- Didn't find assembler
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.11.25507.1
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:16 (project):
No CMAKE_ASM_COMPILER could be found.

Why doesn't this work?

Re: project() with ASM fails with MSVC 19

Robert Dailey-2
Also, I am using the "Visual Studio 15 2017" generator with no other
options (generating through cmake-gui on Windows)

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using CMake 3.9, I do this:
>
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.9)
> project(libpng VERSION 1.6.33 LANGUAGES ASM C)
>
> I get the following error:
>
> -- The ASM compiler identification is unknown
> -- Didn't find assembler
> -- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.11.25507.1
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:16 (project):
> No CMAKE_ASM_COMPILER could be found.
>

> Why doesn't this work?

Re: project() with ASM fails with MSVC 19

Robert Maynard
Have you tried setting the project call of project(libpng VERSION
1.6.33 LANGUAGES ASM_MASM C)

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, I am using the "Visual Studio 15 2017" generator with no other
> options (generating through cmake-gui on Windows)
>
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Using CMake 3.9, I do this:
>>
>> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.9)
>> project(libpng VERSION 1.6.33 LANGUAGES ASM C)
>>
>> I get the following error:
>>
>> -- The ASM compiler identification is unknown
>> -- Didn't find assembler
>> -- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.11.25507.1
>> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:16 (project):
>> No CMAKE_ASM_COMPILER could be found.
>>

>> Why doesn't this work?

Re: project() with ASM fails with MSVC 19

Robert Dailey-2
I haven't; the bigger issue here is that the way we specify ASM
changes depending on platform. But prior to the project() call, you
can't really use CMake to its fullest since project() serves as
practically an "initialize CMake" function. So there's a catch 22
situation here.

My expectation was that you specify the LANGUAGE, i.e. "ASM" and the
platform cmake scripts within CMake's module directory would deduce
"Ok I'm on Windows, so I know it's really MASM".

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Robert Maynard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried setting the project call of project(libpng VERSION
> 1.6.33 LANGUAGES ASM_MASM C)
>
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Also, I am using the "Visual Studio 15 2017" generator with no other
>> options (generating through cmake-gui on Windows)
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Using CMake 3.9, I do this:
>>>
>>> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.9)
>>> project(libpng VERSION 1.6.33 LANGUAGES ASM C)
>>>
>>> I get the following error:
>>>
>>> -- The ASM compiler identification is unknown
>>> -- Didn't find assembler
>>> -- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.11.25507.1
>>> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:16 (project):
>>> No CMAKE_ASM_COMPILER could be found.
>>>

>>> Why doesn't this work?
>> --
>>
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

Re: project() with ASM fails with MSVC 19

Petr Kmoch
Hi Robert.

You might try leaving ASM out of project() and using enable_language() after your call to project() (potentially in conditional branches). It can only (reliably) be used from the toplevel CMakeList, but that sounds like it could be good enough for you.

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/command/enable_language.html

Petr