order of includes seems wrong (or please help me understand)

order of includes seems wrong (or please help me understand)

Mario Emmenlauer

Dear CMake users and developers,

I've just discovered a build problem that comes from a wrong order of
includes. I would know the correct order, but I am unable to instruct
CMake to use the order I need.

Here is a toy example that I tested with cmake 3.12.0:

----
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.8)
project(MyLib VERSION 1.0.0)
find_package(XXX REQUIRED)
find_package(YYY REQUIRED)
add_library(${PROJECT_NAME} include/MyLib.hh src/MyLib.cc)
target_include_directories(${PROJECT_NAME}
    PRIVATE
        ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src
        ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
    PUBLIC
        $<BUILD_INTERFACE:${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include>
        $<INSTALL_INTERFACE:include>
        ${XXX_INCLUDE_DIRS} ${YYY_INCLUDE_DIRS})
target_link_libraries(MyLib PUBLIC ${XXX_LIBRARIES} ${YYY_LIBRARIES})
# here come more commands for build flags etc.

enable_testing()
add_executable(MyTest test/src/MyTest.cc test/src/MyTest.hh)
target_include_directories(MyTest PRIVATE
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/test/src
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
    ${GTEST_INCLUDE_DIRS})
target_link_libraries(MyTest PRIVATE MyLib ${GTEST_MAIN_LIBRARIES})
# here come more commands for build flags etc.
----

I configure cmake with -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=${MY_PREFIX_PATH}. When
I build the project, the order of includes for MyLib is fine. But
for MyTest, the following are the first two includes:
   -IMyTest_autogen/include
   -I${MY_PREFIX_PATH}/include

I think the second include should come much later, only *after*
${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include, but it comes before. Therefore,
if older headers exists in ${MY_PREFIX_PATH}/include, they will be
used instead of ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include!

I found that I can fix the problem by adding 'BEFORE' to all
target_include_directories(). However I'm puzzled why this helps.
Before anything I call target_include_directories(), and before other
includes I have ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src,
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} and ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include.
So what does 'BEFORE' mean in this case? Aren't these the first
includes any ways?

Thanks for any help, and Cheers,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de

Re: order of includes seems wrong (or please help me understand)

Mario Emmenlauer

Should I report this as a bug or am I just doing something wrong?
Help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

    Mario

On 26.07.2018 11:58, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:

> Dear CMake users and developers,
>
> I've just discovered a build problem that comes from a wrong order of
> includes. I would know the correct order, but I am unable to instruct
> CMake to use the order I need.
>
> Here is a toy example that I tested with cmake 3.12.0:
>

> ----
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.8)
> project(MyLib VERSION 1.0.0)
> find_package(XXX REQUIRED)
> find_package(YYY REQUIRED)
> add_library(${PROJECT_NAME} include/MyLib.hh src/MyLib.cc)
> target_include_directories(${PROJECT_NAME}
>     PRIVATE
>         ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src
>         ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
>     PUBLIC
>         $<BUILD_INTERFACE:${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include>
>         $<INSTALL_INTERFACE:include>
>         ${XXX_INCLUDE_DIRS} ${YYY_INCLUDE_DIRS})
> target_link_libraries(MyLib PUBLIC ${XXX_LIBRARIES} ${YYY_LIBRARIES})
> # here come more commands for build flags etc.
>
> enable_testing()
> add_executable(MyTest test/src/MyTest.cc test/src/MyTest.hh)
> target_include_directories(MyTest PRIVATE
>     ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include
>     ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/test/src
>     ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src
>     ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
>     ${GTEST_INCLUDE_DIRS})
> target_link_libraries(MyTest PRIVATE MyLib ${GTEST_MAIN_LIBRARIES})
> # here come more commands for build flags etc.
> ----
>

> I configure cmake with -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=${MY_PREFIX_PATH}. When
> I build the project, the order of includes for MyLib is fine. But
> for MyTest, the following are the first two includes:
>    -IMyTest_autogen/include
>    -I${MY_PREFIX_PATH}/include
>
> I think the second include should come much later, only *after*
> ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include, but it comes before. Therefore,
> if older headers exists in ${MY_PREFIX_PATH}/include, they will be
> used instead of ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include!
>
> I found that I can fix the problem by adding 'BEFORE' to all
> target_include_directories(). However I'm puzzled why this helps.
> Before anything I call target_include_directories(), and before other
> includes I have ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src,
> ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} and ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include.
> So what does 'BEFORE' mean in this case? Aren't these the first
> includes any ways?
>
> Thanks for any help, and Cheers,
>
>     Mario Emmenlauer

Viele Gruesse,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de
D-81669 München                          http://www.biodataanalysis.de/

Re: order of includes seems wrong (or please help me understand)

Robert Maynard
The BEFORE keyword places the includes before any other paths such as
ones from other target_include_directories statements or from
transitive propagation from targets you linked too.

As to why `CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH` is being added, I expect that some find
call is bring it in as an include directory.
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 5:43 PM Mario Emmenlauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > target_include_directories(). However I'm puzzled why this helps.
> > Before anything I call target_include_directories(), and before other
> > includes I have ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src,
> > ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} and ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include.
> > So what does 'BEFORE' mean in this case? Aren't these the first
> > includes any ways?
> >
> > Thanks for any help, and Cheers,
> >
> >     Mario Emmenlauer
>

> Viele Gruesse,
>
>     Mario Emmenlauer
>

> --
> BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
> Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de
> D-81669 München                          http://www.biodataanalysis.de/

Re: order of includes seems wrong (or please help me understand)

Dear Robert,

On 31.07.2018 15:04, Robert Maynard wrote:
> The BEFORE keyword places the includes before any other paths such as
> ones from other target_include_directories statements or from
> transitive propagation from targets you linked too.
>
> As to why `CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH` is being added, I expect that some find
> call is bring it in as an include directory.
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 5:43 PM Mario Emmenlauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would like to understand why `CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH` is in second position
of includes. I add ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include before. Are you
saying that find_package() is modifying the includes directly, like by
calling include_directories()? That would be pretty bad!

I am rather under the assumption that target_link_libraries() is changing
the order of includes.

All the best,

   Mario

> [...]
>>> includes I have ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/src,
>>> ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} and ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include.
>>> So what does 'BEFORE' mean in this case? Aren't these the first
>>> includes any ways?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help, and Cheers,
>>>
>>>     Mario Emmenlauer
>>

>> Viele Gruesse,
>>
>>     Mario Emmenlauer
>>

>> --
>> BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
>> Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de
>> D-81669 München                          http://www.biodataanalysis.de/
>> --
>>
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

Viele Gruesse,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de
D-81669 München                          http://www.biodataanalysis.de/

Re: order of includes seems wrong (or please help me understand)

Robert Maynard
While the find modules that CMake provide don't use
include_directories some externally written find module you are using
could.

You really need to provide a standalone reproduction of the problem,
as currently people can only speculate on what is occurring.