newbee on cmake/installing problem

ZOE KAPETAKI
Hi,

I am trying to build Sundials (the version is 2.4) so I have to install CMake first. I am trying to install it on unix and I have downloaded and untared CMake-2.8.0.tar and CMake-2.8.0.tar.gz. I am using this page for instructions:
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/install.html but when I type ./bootstrap I get the message ./bootstrap: bad interpreter : Permission denied. What do you think I am doing wrong? (I tried the FAQs as well but unfortunately, they are too advanced for me :( )

Thanks,

Zoe

Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!

Re: newbee on cmake/installing problem

Michael Wild
Just to be very clear and to avoid misunderstandings, I'm going to walk you through the steps of installing CMake. Comments will be prefixed by a # sign.

# create a download directory
mkdir -p ~/Downloads

# change directory to the downloads location
cd ~/Downloads

# do the actual download (or place the .tar.gz file in ~/Downloads)
wget http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz

# unpack it
tar xzf cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz

# create a build directory and cd there
mkdir cmake-2.8.0-build
cd cmake-2.8.0-build

# bootstrap cmake (replace the prefix directory)
sh ../cmake-2.8.0/bootstrap --prefix=$HOME/software

# build and install cmake
make
make install

# make it available (if $PREFIX/bin not in PATH and using bash shell)
echo "export PATH=$HOME/software/bin:$PATH" >> ~/bashrc
. ~/.bashrc

I hope this helps

Michael

On 10. Dec, 2009, at 12:20 , ZOE KAPETAKI wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build Sundials (the version is 2.4) so I have to install CMake first. I am trying to install it on unix and I
> have downloaded and untared CMake-2.8.0.tar and CMake-2.8.0.tar.gz. I am
> using this page for instructions:
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/install.html
> but when I type ./bootstrap I get the message ./bootstrap: bad
> interpreter : Permission denied. What do you think I am doing wrong? (I tried the FAQs as well but unfortunately, they are too advanced for me :( )
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zoe

> Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
> Βαρεθήκατε τα ενοχλητικά μηνύματα (spam); Το Yahoo! Mail
> διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών
> μηνυμάτων http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr

Re: newbee on cmake/installing problem

Alan W. Irwin
On 2009-12-10 11:20-0000 ZOE KAPETAKI wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build Sundials (the version is 2.4) so I have to install
> CMake first. I am trying to install it on unix and I have downloaded and
> untared CMake-2.8.0.tar and CMake-2.8.0.tar.gz. I am using this page for
> instructions:
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/install.html but when I type ./bootstrap I
> get the message ./bootstrap: bad interpreter : Permission denied. What do
> you think I am doing wrong? (I tried the FAQs as well but unfortunately,
> they are too advanced for me :( )

I believe you have a permissions problem that doesn't have much to do with
CMake.  For example, there are a fair number of non-CMake hits if you google
for the exact phrase "bad interpreter : Permission denied".  The most
helpful of those that I found was
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=27138.

If that discussion doesn't help, then here are some further questions.

What Unix are you using?

What are the results of each of the following commands?

ls -l bootstrap
ls -l /bin/sh
df -h bootstrap
mount

The first one tells you about the permissions on the bootstrap script. The
second helps to identify your shell. The third is a quick way to identify
the partition where the bootstrap script resides.  That last should be just
as written with no options which simply outputs information about how each
of your partitions is mounted. If the partition where bootstrap is located
is mounted "noexec" you have found your answer.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).