make goes into stamp dir rather than using source dir?

make goes into stamp dir rather than using source dir?

Carlton banks
I am currently using externalproject_add to add portaudio, but for some reason am I not able to run the configure script,
it does not use the correct directory, for some reason..

INCLUDE(ExternalProject)
ExternalProject_Add(project_portaudio
    GIT_REPOSITORY      https://git.assembla.com/portaudio.git
    PREFIX              lib/portaudio
    CONFIGURE_COMMAND   ${SOURCE_DIR}/configure
    BUILD_IN_SOURCE     1
    BUILD_COMMAND       make
    INSTALL_COMMAND     sudo make install
)
ExternalProject_Get_Property(project_portaudio BINARY_DIR)
ExternalProject_Get_Property(project_portaudio SOURCE_DIR)
As It can be seen here.. the configure step should be in the ${SOURCE_DIR} and not the ${stamp_dir}
make
[ 11%] Built target record
[ 22%] Built target spectogram
[ 33%] Built target database
[ 44%] Built target match
[ 55%] Built target cmakeDemo
[ 61%] Performing update step for 'project_portaudio'
Current branch master is up to date.
[ 66%] Performing configure step for 'project_portaudio'
/bin/sh: /configure: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [src/include/record/lib/portaudio/src/project_portaudio-stamp/project_portaudio-configure] Error 127
make[1]: *** [src/include/record/CMakeFiles/project_portaudio.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Why is it looking in the stamp dir, and not the source dir?