install multiple versions of CMake on your system

Hex

install multiple versions of CMake on your system

Hex
hello,

I'd like to install CMake under /usr/local/cmake/3.15/bin/ or similar.

Is it possible to add the version number to a build option, like
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

or do I need to modify CMake sources?

thank you

Re: install multiple versions of CMake on your system

Michael Ellery
If you are using the shell archive from cmake.org, it supports a —prefix and —exclude-subdir option, e.g.:

cd /tmp
CM_INSTALLER=cmake-3.14.0-Linux-x86_64.sh
CM_VER_DIR=/opt/local/cmake/3.14
wget https://cmake.org/files/v3.14/$CM_INSTALLER
chmod a+x $CM_INSTALLER
mkdir -p $CM_VER_DIR
./$CM_INSTALLER --prefix=$CM_VER_DIR --exclude-subdir
rm /tmp/$CM_INSTALLER

…or if you use the tar archive, you can similarly unpack it anywhere you like.

If you are building from source, I would assume CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX would be the way to go.

-Mike