include restbed in my project

Christofer Jennings
Hi All,

How do you use a 3rd party dependency like restbed in a cmake build?

Total nube here. First dive into CMake and haven't done C++ for a long long time. So forgive my ignorance :) This could just as easily be an "I forgot C++" as an "I don't know CMake"...

I'm trying to use restbed. I've got it to compile and self test with `cmake, `make install`, and `make test` as directed on the site: https://github.com/Corvusoft/restbed#build
It makes a `distribution` folder with `include` and `library` sub-folders. The `library` has .a and .so or .dylib files. The `include` folder just has headers, and a `restbed` file with #includes in it.

I'm using the example on the same page as starting point: https://github.com/Corvusoft/restbed#example

... I could list out my failed attempts but I don't think it'd help. Basically find_package doesn't find it, and other things I've tried don't work. I'm digging around online but so far nothing seems to fit--which makes me think it's something really really simple that I just don't understand.

Thanks!
-Chris

Re: include restbed in my project

J Decker
for such things I often include the sources in my tree and just 'add_subdirectory( "extra/restbed" )'
it's cleaner to do a external project rule...
which can download/checkout sources and then build those and the output is findable by other projects just by referencing the targets.

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Christofer Jennings <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I haven't figured out how to use add_subdirectories like you suggested but I was able to get it working based on this  https://github.com/josesj/rest-json-cpp-boilerplate

It uses find_package and etc. ... maybe a little overkill, I don't know. But at least I got off the ground. :)

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 12:09 PM J Decker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

So I have all these third party libraries I keep a copy of...

So libressl for example, has cmakelists.txt

add_subdirectory( src/contrib/libressl/${LIBRESSL_VERSION} )

which I aliased a bit for upgrade/migration/regression...

I also link optionally to bullet...

IF( EXISTS ${BULLET_SOURCE}/CMakeLists.txt )
   # setup a bunch of options...
add_subdirectory( ${BULLET_SOURCE} bullet )

In the second case, bullet is outside my source tree, (next to it with other top level projects), so I have to specify a name to be used in the CMAKE_BINARY_DIR  (bullet) to use for temporary space to build...

and then just link like any other included target

target_link_libaraies( myThing bullet ssl tls crypto )

it's really not that hard, and if you don't understand add_subdirectory.... well... I can't imagine such a world it's so good for breaking up things into related funcational groups...