how to detect architecture ?

Franck Houssen
Is there a way to detect architecture ?

Seems there is nothing simple since these old threads :

Is there a solution now ?

My need is quite simple: I have an executable who needs dlopen. To test it, I planned to write a bash script that would have done "./exe /path/to/lib.so" on linux (debian, ...) OR "./exe /path/to/lib.dylib" on osx. To replace correctly so/dylib in the bash script I need to know the architecture. Any idea how to do this ?

Franck

Re: how to detect architecture ?

Konstantin Tokarev

09.01.2018, 17:58, "Franck Houssen" <[hidden email]>:
> Is there a way to detect architecture ?
>
> Seems there is nothing simple since these old threads :
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11944060/how-to-detect-target-architecture-using-cmake/12024211#12024211
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16796629/cmake-create-architecture-aware-makefile
>
> Is there a solution now ?
>
> My need is quite simple: I have an executable who needs dlopen. To test it, I planned to write a bash script that would have done "./exe /path/to/lib.so" on linux (debian, ...) OR "./exe /path/to/lib.dylib" on osx. To replace correctly so/dylib in the bash script I need to know the architecture. Any idea how to do this ?

${CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX}

> Franck
> ,--

Konstantin

Re: how to detect architecture ?

J Decker

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 6:57 AM, Franck Houssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to detect architecture ?

Seems there is nothing simple since these old threads :

Is there a solution now ?

My need is quite simple: I have an executable who needs dlopen. To test it, I planned to write a bash script that would have done "./exe /path/to/lib.so" on linux (debian, ...) OR "./exe /path/to/lib.dylib" on osx. To replace correctly so/dylib in the bash script I need to know the architecture. Any idea how to do this ?

if( APPLE )
   install( PROGRAMS apple.script.sh DESTINATION script.sh )
elseif( UNIX )
   install( PROGRAMS linux.script.sh DESTINATION script.sh )
endif( )
# not sure what the correct tag in endif should be.

so you can just keep 2 scripts and install approrpiately

Franck

Re: how to detect architecture ?

Franck Houssen
Thanks !

> 09.01.2018, 17:58, "Franck Houssen" <[hidden email]>:
> > Is there a way to detect architecture ?
> >
> > Seems there is nothing simple since these old threads :
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11944060/how-to-detect-target-architecture-using-cmake/12024211#12024211
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16796629/cmake-create-architecture-aware-makefile
> >
> > Is there a solution now ?
> >
> > My need is quite simple: I have an executable who needs dlopen. To test it,
> > I planned to write a bash script that would have done "./exe
> > /path/to/lib.so" on linux (debian, ...) OR "./exe /path/to/lib.dylib" on
> > osx. To replace correctly so/dylib in the bash script I need to know the
> > architecture. Any idea how to do this ?
>
> ${CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX}

Oh man ! Didn't know this one : exactly what I was looking for

> > Franck
> > ,--
> >
> > Powered by www.kitware.com

> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
> >
> > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more
> > information on each offering, please visit:
> >
> > CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
> > CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
> > CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

> Regards,
> Konstantin

Re: how to detect architecture ?

Chuck Atkins
Hi Franck,

I'd suggest going a little more robust by using both CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_PREFIX and CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX to generate a function at configure time to resolve the correct filename.

For example, util.h.in:

#ifndef _UTIL_H_
#define _UTIL_H_

#include <stdio.h>

static inline
void get_library_filename(char* filename, const char* libname)
{
  sprintf(filename, "@CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_PREFIX@%s@CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX@", libname);
}

#endif /* _UTIL_H_ */

Then your CMakeLists.txt:

configure_file(
  ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/util.h.in
  ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/util.h
  @ONLY
)
add_executable(foo main.c ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/util.h)
target_include_directories(foo PRIVATE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR})

And finally main.c:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <util.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  char filename[256];

  get_library_filename(filename, "foo");

  printf("Library foo uses file %s\n", filename);

  return 0;
}

This will give you "libfoo.so" on Linux, "libfoo.dylib" on Apple, and "foo.dll" on Windows.

----------
Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.

Thanks !

19.01.2018, 21:22, "Chuck Atkins" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Franck,
>
> I'd suggest going a little more robust by using both CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_PREFIX and CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX to generate a function at configure time to resolve the correct filename.
>
> For example, util.h.in:
>
> #ifndef _UTIL_H_
> #define _UTIL_H_
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> static inline
> void get_library_filename(char* filename, const char* libname)
> {
>   sprintf(filename, "@CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_PREFIX@%s@CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX@", libname);
> }
>
> #endif /* _UTIL_H_ */
>
> Then your CMakeLists.txt:
>
> configure_file(
>   ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/util.h.in
>   ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/util.h
>   @ONLY
> )
> add_executable(foo main.c ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/util.h)
> target_include_directories(foo PRIVATE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR})
>
> And finally main.c:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <util.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
>   char filename[256];
>
>   get_library_filename(filename, "foo");
>
>   printf("Library foo uses file %s\n", filename);
>
>   return 0;
> }
>
> This will give you "libfoo.so" on Linux, "libfoo.dylib" on Apple, and "foo.dll" on Windows.

Note that Windows DLLs may also happen to have to lib prefix (e.g. CMake adds them
by default when building projects with MinGW).

> Chuck Atkins
> Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
> Kitware, Inc.
>
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Franck Houssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks !

Got it, thanks.
I'll do that even if Windows is not an OS I target (I guess tests will not run on Windows - run bash script like ./test.sh in which I redirect outputs with > and other stuffs the unix way).