further configuration of generated projects outside of CMake?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Hex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

further configuration of generated projects outside of CMake?

Hex
hi everyone,

There are many generators supported in CMake. A CMake build system
allows me to generate the preferred build environment for everyone,
visual studio, eclipse, ninja you name it.

The problem I see with this is that projects are generated output files,
and even if that gives everyone the starting point in the way he/she is
used to, they will probably want to further customize their project
preferences. But every build folder, every library that is added to the
project sources later on in CMake must be reflected in those projects as
well. This means any customizations done outside of CMake is lost.

I cannot see how to overcome this limitation. What is the workflow for
generated projects here?


Another question, I didn't know there is a generator for sublime text 2:

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/generator/Sublime%20Text%202.html

Is the source code for generators available? I think it would be fun
adding some improvements.

best regards!

--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
https://cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: further configuration of generated projects outside of CMake?

Zan Lynx
On March 11, 2019 6:03:24 PM MDT, hex <[hidden email]> wrote:

>hi everyone,
>
>There are many generators supported in CMake. A CMake build system
>allows me to generate the preferred build environment for everyone,
>visual studio, eclipse, ninja you name it.
>
>The problem I see with this is that projects are generated output
>files,
>and even if that gives everyone the starting point in the way he/she is
>
>used to, they will probably want to further customize their project
>preferences. But every build folder, every library that is added to the
>
>project sources later on in CMake must be reflected in those projects
>as
>well. This means any customizations done outside of CMake is lost.
>

You don't ship the generated files with the source. Everyone runs cmake for themselves.

And if you did ship some, like a Makefile, you would not customize that any more than you'd customize it from an autoconf project.
--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil
--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
https://cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Hex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: further configuration of generated projects outside of CMake?

Hex
In reply to this post by Hex

Oh, I see now. The generator only adds the project files and the rest of
the build output remains exactly the same with or without a generator.
So I only use the generator once. Folders and libraries are not added in
Eclipse GUI but rather in CMake project as you'd normally do. The
project is already configured for the standard build targets normally used.

If I had a new build target at some point, like `make doxygen` I'd
probably edit the project manually and add it.

On 12/03/19 03:00, Zan Lynx wrote:

> On March 11, 2019 6:03:24 PM MDT, hex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi everyone,
>>
>> There are many generators supported in CMake. A CMake build system
>> allows me to generate the preferred build environment for everyone,
>> visual studio, eclipse, ninja you name it.
>>
>> The problem I see with this is that projects are generated output
>> files,
>> and even if that gives everyone the starting point in the way he/she is
>>
>> used to, they will probably want to further customize their project
>> preferences. But every build folder, every library that is added to the
>>
>> project sources later on in CMake must be reflected in those projects
>> as
>> well. This means any customizations done outside of CMake is lost.
>>
> You don't ship the generated files with the source. Everyone runs
> cmake for themselves.
>
> And if you did ship some, like a Makefile, you would not customize
> that any more than you'd customize it from an autoconf project.
--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
https://cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Hex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: further configuration of generated projects outside of CMake?

Hex
I see now the generators are part of CMake sources on gitlab...

that answers my questions.

thank you, Zan Lynx.

>
>> On March 11, 2019 6:03:24 PM MDT, hex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>> Another question, I didn't know there is a generator for sublime text 2:
>>
>> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/generator/Sublime%20Text%202.html
>>
>> Is the source code for generators available? I think it would be fun
>> adding some improvements.
>>
>> best regards!
--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
https://cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake