file(DOWNLOAD ...) SSL support

Michael Wild
Hi all

Are there any plans to enable SSL-support in the CMake-included CURL
library?

Michael

Re: file(DOWNLOAD ...) SSL support

Bill Hoffman
Michael Wild wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Are there any plans to enable SSL-support in the CMake-included CURL
> library?

The CMake binaries will never ship with ssl (due to export control
issues).  However, you can build CMake yourself and turn on the build
option to use SSL with the CURL.  I might be able to start shipping curl
as a dll that could be replaced with an ssl version without having to
rebuild CMake.  I did test this, it worked.

-Bill

On 30. Nov, 2009, at 16:33 , Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Michael Wild wrote:
>> Hi all
>> Are there any plans to enable SSL-support in the CMake-included
>> CURL library?
>
> The CMake binaries will never ship with ssl (due to export control
> issues).  However, you can build CMake yourself and turn on the
> build option to use SSL with the CURL.  I might be able to start
> shipping curl as a dll that could be replaced with an ssl version
> without having to rebuild CMake.  I did test this, it worked.
>

> -Bill

That's not a real solution for me, since I intend to distribute my
source code and people won't be happy if their download fails. And
replacing the DLL/so/dylib isn't an option either, because this
requires too much manual intervention.

That means I'm probably stuck with searching for wget/curl, using them
if present, and if they fail (or are not present), tell the user to
download the file with his browser and put it in a specific directory.

I wonder how e.g. Microsoft, Apple or Mozilla deal with these
ridiculous export control regulations?

Michael Wild wrote:

> That's not a real solution for me, since I intend to distribute my
> source code and people won't be happy if their download fails. And
> replacing the DLL/so/dylib isn't an option either, because this requires
> too much manual intervention.
>
> That means I'm probably stuck with searching for wget/curl, using them
> if present, and if they fail (or are not present), tell the user to
> download the file with his browser and put it in a specific directory.
>
> I wonder how e.g. Microsoft, Apple or Mozilla deal with these ridiculous
> export control regulations?

They make you agree to licenses before using the software... However, I
did find this:

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_Crypto_FAQ

However, I will have to get legal advise before moving on with this in
CMake.  It could take some time... :(

-Bill

On 30. Nov, 2009, at 17:52 , Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Michael Wild wrote:
>
>> That's not a real solution for me, since I intend to distribute my
>> source code and people won't be happy if their download fails. And
>> replacing the DLL/so/dylib isn't an option either, because this
>> requires too much manual intervention.
>> That means I'm probably stuck with searching for wget/curl, using
>> them if present, and if they fail (or are not present), tell the
>> user to download the file with his browser and put it in a specific
>> directory.
>> I wonder how e.g. Microsoft, Apple or Mozilla deal with these
>> ridiculous export control regulations?
> They make you agree to licenses before using the software...
> However, I did find this:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Mozilla_Crypto_FAQ
>
> However, I will have to get legal advise before moving on with this
> in CMake.  It could take some time... :(
>
> -Bill

Thanks for the info.

Michael