externalproject sanity check

Clinton Stimpson
Hi,

So I have this project that is built using cmake, but as a subdirectory, I
have source for another project that doesn't use cmake to build (it has its
own visual studio plugins for building and must be an in-source build).

Is the CMake 2.8 feature of ExternalProject suitable for this setup?
We've tried using it, but it insists on specifying a way to download the
source even though we've set SOURCE_DIR.  And it sometimes deletes the source
files in that subdirectory, so it appears to have its own "clean" instead of
letting me specify one.

If not, I guess I'll have to fall back to having a custom target.

Thanks,
Clint

Re: externalproject sanity check

David Cole
ExternalProject should be suitable... in addition to specifying the SOURCE_DIR, also specify:
DOWNLOAD_COMMAND ""
BUILD_IN_SOURCE 1

In general, with ExternalProject_Add, if there is a build step that you are trying to suppress, set its corresponding _COMMAND to the empty string... Setting the command overrides any built in default behavior, and setting it to the empty string means "do nothing" for that step.

I'm not sure what would be doing the clean that you're talking about... Could you provide an example call to ExternalProject_Add that demonstrates this problem...?

Thanks,
David