--config Parameter position relevant?

Dennis Luehring
build environment:

Win7 x64
VStudio 2017 Community Edition 15.8.4 (latest)
CMake 3.12.1 (x86)
git 2.19.0 (latest, x64)
Python 2.7.2 (x86)

directory structure:

D:/projects/fun/jit_tests/clang_from_src/
   llvm <-- git clone https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm
     tools
       clang <-- git clone https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang
   llvm_build

build instructions:

cd llvm-build
cmake -Thost=x64 -G "Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64"
-DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=host ..\llvm_project\llvm

cmake --config Release --build .

ends after a few seconds without errors with this message last

Build files have been written to:
D:/projects/fun/jit_tests/clang_from_src/llvm-build

cmake --build . --config Release

do work and the build is running - is it intended that the position of
the --config parameter is that relevant?

Re: --config Parameter position relevant?

Eric Noulard

Le mer. 19 sept. 2018 à 13:43, Dennis Luehring <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

I guess it is because --config is a sub-option of the --build option whose expected syntax is:
cmake --build <dir> [options] [-- [native-options]]

In the other case the expected syntax is different:
cmake [options] <path-to-existing-build>

See the different expected syntaxes of the cmake command line here:

That said the "non working" case should probably at least warn about ignored/unused options on the command line.
However, I suspect that maintaining backward compatible command line behavior while providing meaningful
error messages may not be easy.

CMake developers may give more precise answer on that "guess".

--
Eric

Am 19.09.2018 um 13:59 schrieb Eric Noulard:
> I guess it is because --config is a sub-option of the --build option whose
> expected syntax is:
> cmake --build <dir> [options] [-- [native-options]]

that makes it clear - thx