cmake on MinGW64; which generator

Christopher Webster
Greetings,
  I am trying to figure out which generator to use on MinGW64 on Windows10, the 2-3 I have tried fail.
cmake version is 3.14.5

If I try "Unix Makefiles" I get:

$ cmake -S coin -B coin_build -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\Tools\Packages\Coin3D
System is unknown to cmake, create:
Platform/MINGW64_NT-10.0-17763 to use this system, please send your
config file to [hidden email] so it can be added to cmake

If I try "MinGW Makefiles" I get:

$ cmake -S coin -B coin_build -G "MinGW Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\Tools\Packages\Coin3D
CMake Error: Could not create named generator MinGW Makefiles

Generators
* Unix Makefiles               = Generates standard UNIX makefiles.
  Ninja                        = Generates build.ninja files.
  CodeBlocks - Ninja           = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
  CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles  = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
  CodeLite - Ninja             = Generates CodeLite project files.
  CodeLite - Unix Makefiles    = Generates CodeLite project files.
  Sublime Text 2 - Ninja       = Generates Sublime Text 2 project files.
  Sublime Text 2 - Unix Makefiles
                               = Generates Sublime Text 2 project files.
  Kate - Ninja                 = Generates Kate project files.
  Kate - Unix Makefiles        = Generates Kate project files.
  Eclipse CDT4 - Ninja         = Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
  Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles= Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files

Thanks for any guidance.

Chris

Re: cmake on MinGW64; which generator

Cristian Adam
Hi,

You are most probably using MSys2, which means that you are using CMake from MSys2,
and they patch CMake for their platform. This also means that CMake upstream doesn't support it.

Here are the differences between upstream CMake 3.14.3 and MSys2 CMake 3.14.3. No idea why
the MSys2 people didn't try to upstream this into CMake.

In this case you should get support from MSys2 people, or switch to upstream CMake and standalone MinGW-w64.

Alternatively you can try using the Ninja generator.

The problem with standalone MinGW-w64 is that you will not have the number of libraries that MSys2 offers.
You can use a CMake package manager like Conan, or Hunter to obtain those libraries.

I know this because when I tried to compile Qt6::Base with MSys2 I was not able to compile, due to
various Msys2 problems. With upstream CMake, standalone MinGW-w64 and Hunter 3rd party libraries
everything worked just fine. At https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-75578  I described how I compiled Qt6::Base.

Cheers,
Cristian.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 3:49 PM Christopher Webster <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alan W. Irwin-2
On 2019-06-23 07:49-0600 Christopher Webster wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   I am trying to figure out which generator to use on MinGW64 on Windows10, the 2-3 I have tried fail.
>
> cmake version is 3.14.5
>

> If I try "Unix Makefiles" I get:
>
> $ cmake -S coin -B coin_build -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\Tools\Packages\Coin3D
> -- The C compiler identification is GNU 9.1.0
> -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 9.1.0
> System is unknown to cmake, create:
> Platform/MINGW64_NT-10.0-17763 to use this system, please send your
> config file to [hidden email] so it can be added to cmake
>

> If I try "MinGW Makefiles" I get:
>
> $ cmake -S coin -B coin_build -G "MinGW Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\Tools\Packages\Coin3D
> CMake Error: Could not create named generator MinGW Makefiles

There are a lot of different platforms that use the MinGW-w64 compiler so you should probably
describe the platform where you are attempting to use that compiler in more detail.  For example,
it sounds like you are simply taking a normal Window platform and downloading the
MinGW-w64 compiler for that platform, but what is the exact URL for that download?

I don't have any recent direct experience myself (I have no access to
Microsoft Windows and Wine Windows bugs are currently blocking access
to MSYS2), but PLplot developers I am aquainted with have recently had
a lot of success with the [MSYS2
platform](https://github.com/msys2/msys2/wiki) which is another exaple
of a platform that uses the MinGW-w64 compiler.  For that platform
they have found that "Unix Makefiles" and "MSYS Makefiles" generally
give good results.  They haven't yet tried "MinGW Makefiles" but from
my ancient (MSYS/Wine where MSYS is the predecessor of MSYS2)
experience for that generator you have to be sure that sh.exe is not
on your PATH (e.g., by renaming it) before it will work.  (I have
never quite been sure why that was a requirement, but my guess was the
"mingw" make version acts differently if it detects sh.exe.)  But
again from my ancient experience the rest of the Unix tools provided
by MSYS2 including bash.exe will likely work well with the "MinGW
Makefiles" generator.

I hope this (ancient direct and recent indirect) practical experience
with "Unix Makefiles", "MSYS Makefiles", "MinGW Makefiles", and
MinGW-w64 will be of some help to you.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project
__________________________

Linux-powered Science
__________________________

On 6/23/19 9:22 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> There are a lot of different platforms that use the MinGW-w64 compiler
> so you should probably
> describe the platform where you are attempting to use that compiler in
> more detail.  For example,
> it sounds like you are simply taking a normal Window platform and
> downloading the
> MinGW-w64 compiler for that platform, but what is the exact URL for
> that download?

As Cristian surmised we use msys2/mingw64; we download from
www.msys2.org (the x86_64 option).  Then install the mingw64 toolchain,
and use mingw64 shells:

pacman -Sy msys2-devel
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
pacman -Sy base-devel
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-check
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-qt5
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-qwt-qt5
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-doxygen
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-boost
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-git-lfs
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-gsl
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-netcdf
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-curl
pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-postgresql
pacman -Sy nano scons vim git procps

cmake was installed via:

pacman -Sy cmake

> I don't have any recent direct experience myself (I have no access to
> Microsoft Windows and Wine Windows bugs are currently blocking access
> to MSYS2), but PLplot developers I am aquainted with have recently had
> a lot of success with the [MSYS2
> platform](https://github.com/msys2/msys2/wiki) which is another exaple
> of a platform that uses the MinGW-w64 compiler.  For that platform
> they have found that "Unix Makefiles" and "MSYS Makefiles" generally
> give good results.  They haven't yet tried "MinGW Makefiles" but from
> my ancient (MSYS/Wine where MSYS is the predecessor of MSYS2)
> experience for that generator you have to be sure that sh.exe is not
> on your PATH (e.g., by renaming it) before it will work.  (I have
> never quite been sure why that was a requirement, but my guess was the
> "mingw" make version acts differently if it detects sh.exe.)  But
> again from my ancient experience the rest of the Unix tools provided
> by MSYS2 including bash.exe will likely work well with the "MinGW
> Makefiles" generator.
>
> I hope this (ancient direct and recent indirect) practical experience
> with "Unix Makefiles", "MSYS Makefiles", "MinGW Makefiles", and
> MinGW-w64 will be of some help to you.
>
> Alan
> __________________________
> Alan W. Irwin
>
> Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state
> implementation for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); the Time
> Ephemerides project (timeephem.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting
> software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project
> (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net);
> and the Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sf.net).
> __________________________
>
> Linux-powered Science
> __________________________

Re: cmake on MinGW64; which generator

Benjamin Eikel-2
Dear Christopher,

Am 23. Juni 2019 23:31:01 MESZ schrieb Christopher Webster <[hidden email]>:

>On 6/23/19 9:22 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>> There are a lot of different platforms that use the MinGW-w64
>compiler
>> so you should probably
>> describe the platform where you are attempting to use that compiler
>in
>> more detail.  For example,
>> it sounds like you are simply taking a normal Window platform and
>> downloading the
>> MinGW-w64 compiler for that platform, but what is the exact URL for
>> that download?
>
>As Cristian surmised we use msys2/mingw64; we download from
>www.msys2.org (the x86_64 option).  Then install the mingw64 toolchain,
>and use mingw64 shells:
>
>pacman -Sy msys2-devel
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
>pacman -Sy base-devel
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-check
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-qt5
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-qwt-qt5
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-doxygen
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-boost
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-git-lfs
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-gsl
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-netcdf
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-curl
>pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-postgresql
>pacman -Sy nano scons vim git procps
>
>cmake was installed via:
>
>pacman -Sy cmake

try to install and use mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake in the mingw64 shell. Additionally, see this answer and the corresponding thread:
https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2018-January/066869.html

Kind regards
Benjamin

>> I don't have any recent direct experience myself (I have no access to
>> Microsoft Windows and Wine Windows bugs are currently blocking access
>> to MSYS2), but PLplot developers I am aquainted with have recently
>had
>> a lot of success with the [MSYS2
>> platform](https://github.com/msys2/msys2/wiki) which is another
>exaple
>> of a platform that uses the MinGW-w64 compiler.  For that platform
>> they have found that "Unix Makefiles" and "MSYS Makefiles" generally
>> give good results.  They haven't yet tried "MinGW Makefiles" but from
>> my ancient (MSYS/Wine where MSYS is the predecessor of MSYS2)
>> experience for that generator you have to be sure that sh.exe is not
>> on your PATH (e.g., by renaming it) before it will work.  (I have
>> never quite been sure why that was a requirement, but my guess was
>the
>> "mingw" make version acts differently if it detects sh.exe.)  But
>> again from my ancient experience the rest of the Unix tools provided
>> by MSYS2 including bash.exe will likely work well with the "MinGW
>> Makefiles" generator.
>>
>> I hope this (ancient direct and recent indirect) practical experience
>> with "Unix Makefiles", "MSYS Makefiles", "MinGW Makefiles", and
>> MinGW-w64 will be of some help to you.
>>
>> Alan
>> __________________________
>> Alan W. Irwin
>>
>> Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state
>> implementation for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); the Time
>> Ephemerides project (timeephem.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting
>> software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project
>> (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net);
>> and the Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sf.net).
>> __________________________
>>
>> Linux-powered Science
>> __________________________
>

>--
>
>Powered by www.kitware.com
>
>Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at:
>http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>
>Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For
>more information on each offering, please visit:
>
>CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
>CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
>CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Re: cmake on MinGW64; which generator

Christopher Webster
Thank you Benjamin, that fixed it.  Now to figure out the cpack.d error.

Is there a way to search the archives?  I had looked through the last
several months of threads, but that is not practical for searching back
a over a year

Chris

On 6/23/19 11:46 PM, Benjamin Eikel wrote:

> Dear Christopher,
>
> Am 23. Juni 2019 23:31:01 MESZ schrieb Christopher Webster <[hidden email]>:
>> On 6/23/19 9:22 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>> There are a lot of different platforms that use the MinGW-w64
>> compiler
>>> so you should probably
>>> describe the platform where you are attempting to use that compiler
>> in
>>> more detail.  For example,
>>> it sounds like you are simply taking a normal Window platform and
>>> downloading the
>>> MinGW-w64 compiler for that platform, but what is the exact URL for
>>> that download?
>> As Cristian surmised we use msys2/mingw64; we download from
>> www.msys2.org (the x86_64 option).  Then install the mingw64 toolchain,
>> and use mingw64 shells:
>>
>> pacman -Sy msys2-devel
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
>> pacman -Sy base-devel
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-check
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-qt5
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-qwt-qt5
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-doxygen
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-boost
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-git-lfs
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-gsl
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-netcdf
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-curl
>> pacman -Sy mingw-w64-x86_64-postgresql
>> pacman -Sy nano scons vim git procps
>>
>> cmake was installed via:
>>
>> pacman -Sy cmake
>
> try to install and use mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake in the mingw64 shell. Additionally, see this answer and the corresponding thread:
> https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2018-January/066869.html
>
> Kind regards
> Benjamin

Re: cmake on MinGW64; which generator

Volker Enderlein
Am 24.06.2019 um 15:39 schrieb Christopher Webster:

Hi Christopher,

did you followed the instructions from
https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/wiki/BuildWithCMake
and cloned the repo, e.g. ran hg clone https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin
coin ?

As coin uses subrepositories the Download the compressed sources from
the Download section does not work. The subrepos won't be populated.

Cheers Volker

On 6/24/19 8:03 AM, Volker Enderlein wrote:

> Am 24.06.2019 um 15:39 schrieb Christopher Webster:
>
> Hi Christopher,
>
> did you followed the instructions from
> https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/wiki/BuildWithCMake
> and cloned the repo, e.g. ran hg clone
> https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin coin ?
>
> As coin uses subrepositories the Download the compressed sources from
> the Download section does not work. The subrepos won't be populated.

Hi Volker,

I am following the instructions at the wiki page you listed above and
used hg(1) to download.  Their example is for Visual Studio Generator.
I am wading through MinGW vs. MSYS for generator.  MinGW complains the
sh.exe is in my path and MSYS errors out with a cpack.d error.  Though I
suspect I want the MinGW.

I did get the Coin3D going on MacOS, and Quarter (though
Quarter.framework installed kind of funny, so working through that also).

Thanks,

Am 24.06.2019 um 16:42 schrieb Christopher Webster:

> On 6/24/19 8:03 AM, Volker Enderlein wrote:
>> Am 24.06.2019 um 15:39 schrieb Christopher Webster:
>>
>> Hi Christopher,
>>
>> did you followed the instructions from
>> https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/wiki/BuildWithCMake
>> and cloned the repo, e.g. ran hg clone
>> https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin coin ?
>>
>> As coin uses subrepositories the Download the compressed sources from
>> the Download section does not work. The subrepos won't be populated.
> Hi Volker,
>
> I am following the instructions at the wiki page you listed above and
> used hg(1) to download.  Their example is for Visual Studio Generator.
> I am wading through MinGW vs. MSYS for generator.  MinGW complains the
> sh.exe is in my path and MSYS errors out with a cpack.d error.  Though I
> suspect I want the MinGW.
>
> I did get the Coin3D going on MacOS, and Quarter (though
> Quarter.framework installed kind of funny, so working through that also).
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Hi Chris,

you might also open an issue on the Coin issue tracker for that cpack.d
problem (or for your entire build issue).

As the framework option on macOS is not very well tested I would
recommend to use the plain ole dylib approach. That is known to work for
Coin, SoQt, SoXt and Quarter. Recently the default setting to build a
framework on macOS has been changed for Coin3D as it is still being
considered experimental. You may check the last few commit messages.

Cheers, Volker

On 2019-06-24 07:39-0600 Christopher Webster wrote:

> Thank you Benjamin, that [install and use mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake in the mingw64 shell] fixed it.

I was happy to hear that Benjamin solved this first issue for you.

Just to follow up on what he said, I confirm the good PLplot results
for the MSYS2 platform that I referred to in my previous post also
used the "mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake" native package rather than the
non-native (linked to msys2.dll) "cmake" package.

You (and others reading this thread) should consult the patches at
<https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-cmake>
to see the various ways that the "mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake" package
differs from vanilla cmake for Windows from Kitware.  I agree with
another poster's comments that if indeed some or all of those fixes
are really necessary for the MSYS2 platform that ideally they should
be adopted by the upstream CMake developers.  So I hope those
developers are (i) reading this thread and (ii) willing to follow up
by looking at those patches.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project

Linux-powered Science

Re: cmake on MinGW64; which generator

Ray Donnelly
The problem is the time required to upstream such work. Unfortunately I do not have that time.