cmake --find-package deprecated?

Jeandet Alexis
Hi all,

Reading the documentation I can see:
"
Note

This mode is not well-supported due to some technical limitations. It is kept for compatibility but should not be used in new projects.
"

Does this means that:
1) We will always support this but it's limited.
2) We will be supported for a long time, but you shouldn't use it.
3) We plan to remove this soon, don't use this!

In fact this mode would really be useful outside of CMake, to use libraries/stuff which doesn't provide pc files but only CMake packages.
Even if this has limitations, it's better than nothing.

Best regards,
Alexis.

Re: cmake --find-package deprecated?

Alexander Neundorf
On 2018 M04 3, Tue 16:01:58 CEST jeandet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Reading the documentation I can see:
> 0package#find-package-tool-mode id="-x-evo-selection-start-marker">
> "
> Note
>
> This mode is not well-supported due to some technical limitations. It
> is kept for compatibility but should not be used in new projects.
> "
>
> Does this means that:
>   1) We will always support this but it's limited.
>   2) We will be supported for a long time, but you shouldn't use it.
>   3) We plan to remove this soon, don't use this!

I think it's in 2).

> In fact this mode would really be useful outside of CMake, to use
> libraries/stuff which doesn't provide pc files but only CMake packages.
> Even if this has limitations, it's better than nothing.

Yes, that was my motivation a few years back.
There is even a cmake.m4 which adds a cmake_find_package macro for configure.

Since then, there was close to no feedback.
I also can't remember any volunteer contributions for this feature.
Currently it has more limitations than it had 7 or 8 years ago or so.

The idea was to run cmake in script mode, and basically just execute the
requested FindFoo.cmake script, which basically searches a set of directories
and returns the results.
With imported targets, their link interfaces and e.g. generator expressions
things got more complicated.

I'd be happy if somebody picks up the work and makes this feature work
properly.

Alex