ccmake is not getting installed

Pradeep Jha
Hello,

I am trying to install the latest version of
cmake on my centos linux machine.

[root@83 lib64]# uname -a
Linux 83.shin.fluid.cse.nagoya-u.ac.jp 2.6.18-164.el5 #1
SMP Thu Sep 3 03:28:30 EDT 2009 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

When I run the bootsrap command, it executes it successfully
but gives me the following message at the end:

"Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built."

I need the ccmake command. I checked and I have the libncurses
lib file in the /usr/lib and /usr/lib64  folders:

---------------------------------------
[root@83 lib]# ls libncurses*
libncurses.a    libncurses_g.a  libncurses.so.5
libncurses++w.a  libncursesw_g.a  libncursesw.so.5
libncurses++.a  libncurses.so   libncurses.so.5.5
libncursesw.a    libncursesw.so   libncursesw.so.5.5

[root@83 lib64]# ls libncurses*
libncurses.a    libncurses_g.a  libncurses.so.5
 libncurses++w.a  libncursesw_g.a  libncursesw.so.5
libncurses++.a  libncurses.so   libncurses.so.5.5
libncursesw.a    libncursesw.so   libncursesw.so.5.5

I checked for updates for all the ncurses packages and
my yum is telling me it is already up-to-date. (I
have shown the output at the end of this email).

Please help me. I am not sure where to go about from
here. I need ccmake to run to install a software
which depends on it.

Thanks
Pradeep

[root@83 lib64]# yum install ncurses
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
 * addons: ftp.iij.ad.jp
 * base: ftp.iij.ad.jp
 * extras: ftp.iij.ad.jp
 * updates: ftp.iij.ad.jp
Setting up Install Process
Package ncurses-5.5-24.20060715.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package ncurses-5.5-24.20060715.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
[root@83 lib64]# yum install ncurses-devel
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
 * addons: ftp.iij.ad.jp
 * base: ftp.iij.ad.jp
 * extras: ftp.iij.ad.jp
 * updates: ftp.iij.ad.jp
Setting up Install Process
Package ncurses-devel-5.5-24.20060715.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package ncurses-devel-5.5-24.20060715.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Re: ccmake is not getting installed

Kornel Benko

Am Montag, 28. Januar 2013 um 09:15:58, schrieb Pradeep Jha <[hidden email]>

> When I run the bootsrap command, it executes it successfully

> but gives me the following message at the end:

> "Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built."

To compile, you need the devel-version of libncurses package.

On your OS it may have slightly different name.

Kornel

Re: ccmake is not getting installed

Eric Noulard
2013/1/28 Kornel Benko <[hidden email]>:

> Am Montag, 28. Januar 2013 um 09:15:58, schrieb Pradeep Jha
> <[hidden email]>
>

>> When I run the bootsrap command, it executes it successfully
>
>> but gives me the following message at the end:
>

>> "Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built."
>

> To compile, you need the devel-version of libncurses package.
>
> On your OS it may have slightly different name.

On redhat-like distro (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, ...) it's usually called
<packageName>-devel,
yo could try

yum install ncurses-devel

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org

Eric Noulard <eric.noulard@...> writes:

> 2013/1/28 Kornel Benko <kornel@...>:
> > Am Montag, 28. Januar 2013 um 09:15:58, schrieb Pradeep Jha
> > <pradeep.kumar.jha@...>
> >

> >> When I run the bootsrap command, it executes it successfully
> >
> >> but gives me the following message at the end:
> >

> >> "Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built."
> >

> > To compile, you need the devel-version of libncurses package.
> >
> > On your OS it may have slightly different name.
>
> On redhat-like distro (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, ...) it's usually called
> <packageName>-devel,
> yo could try
>
> yum install ncurses-devel

Hello,

thank you for your replies.

I  mentioned in previous email that I tried this command already
and this is what I am getting as output:

[root@83 ~]# yum install ncurses-devel
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
* addons: ftp.iij.ad.jp
* base: ftp.iij.ad.jp
* extras: ftp.iij.ad.jp
* updates: ftp.iij.ad.jp
Setting up Install Process
Package ncurses-devel-5.5-24.20060715.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package ncurses-devel-5.5-24.20060715.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

It says that the ncurses is already installed on the system.
Any other leads?

Regards,
Pradeep

2013/1/28 Pradeep Jha <[hidden email]>:
> Hello,
>
> thank you for your replies.
>
> I  mentioned in previous email that I tried this command already and this is what I am getting as output:
> [root@83 ~]# yum install ncurses-devel

[...]

Sorry I overlooked that one.

May be you can bootstrap without ncurses and then wiht the resulting 'cmake'
rebuild cmake including ccmake.

May be only the bootstrap script is unable to find ncurses?
By the way what do you mean by "the latest version of cmake" ?
Is it 2.8.10.2 or git master?

Why do you bootstrap?
Did you try using prebuilt cmake
(from http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
 or from other repo (http://repoforge.org/ see in
http://pkgs.repoforge.org/cmake/)
in order to rebuild your own?

By the way why do you want to bootstrap CMake ?
Is the version shipped with CentOS too old ?
Do you use CentOS 5 or CentOS 6 ?
--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org

Re: ccmake is not getting installed

Pradeep Jha
Hello,

I installed cmake without ncurses. It is version 2.8.10.2 and CentOS 5.4
[root@83 cmake-2.8.10.2]# cmake --version
cmake version 2.8.10.2
[root@83 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
I did actually download my cmake from the link that you sent me (http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html).

But now that I have installed cmake, how do I rebuild it including ccmake? And I have no idea why I am using bootstrap. I was just following the instructions. Is there any other way around?

Thanks for the replies,
Pradeep

2013/1/29 Pradeep Jha <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I installed cmake without ncurses. It is version 2.8.10.2 and CentOS 5.4
> [root@83 cmake-2.8.10.2]# cmake --version
> cmake version 2.8.10.2
> [root@83 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
> I did actually download my cmake from the link that you sent me
> (http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html).
>
> But now that I have installed cmake, how do I rebuild it including ccmake?
> And I have no idea why I am using bootstrap. I was just following the
> instructions. Is there any other way around?

Yes.
Once you have a working CMake you can build cmake with the already built cmake.

This is what "bootstrap" is supposed to do automatically, but since it fails
you can try "by hand".

1) untar the cmake source you have
    tar zxvf  cmake-2.8.10.2.tar.gz

2) create a build directory and configure cmake source

    mkdir build
    cd  build
    /path/to/already/working/cmake ../cmake-2.8.10.2

if ncurses is not found try to specify the location of your ncurses lib:

   /path/to/already/working/cmake
-DCURSES_NCURSES_LIBRARY=/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5 ../cmake-2.8.10.2

If this fails again, try

 /path/to/already/working/cmake --trace --debug-output
../cmake-2.8.10.2 &> cmake-run.out

and send us the cmake-run.out file.

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org

Re: ccmake is not getting installed

Pradeep Jha
Hello,

I have attached the cmake-run.out file with this email. Also the output for all the commands that you suggested is attached below.

Thanks
[root@83 build]# /usr/local/bin/cmake ./../cmake-2.8.10.2
Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built.
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/pradeep/softwares/cmake-2.8.10.2
[root@83 build]# locate libncurses.so.5
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.5
/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5
/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5.5
[root@83 build]# /usr/local/bin/cmake -DCURSES_NCURSES_LIBRARY=/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5 ../cmake-2.8.10.2
Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built.
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/pradeep/softwares/cmake-2.8.10.2

2013/1/29 Eric Noulard <[hidden email]>
-DCURSES_NCURSES_LIBRARY=/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5 ../cmake-2.8.10.2

cmake-run.out (11K) Download Attachment

Re: ccmake is not getting installed

Bill Hoffman
On 1/29/2013 4:06 AM, Pradeep Jha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have attached the cmake-run.out file with this email. Also the output
> for all the commands that you suggested is attached below.

You are missing the header files for curses, not the libraries.  You
need the headers to compile against the libraries.

You need to find curses.h or ncurses.h on the machine, cmake looks here:

  find_file(CURSES_HAVE_CURSES_H curses.h )
   find_path(CURSES_CURSES_H_PATH curses.h )
  find_file(CURSES_HAVE_NCURSES_H         ncurses.h)
   find_file(CURSES_HAVE_NCURSES_NCURSES_H ncurses/ncurses.h)
   find_file(CURSES_HAVE_NCURSES_CURSES_H  ncurses/curses.h)
   find_file(CURSES_HAVE_CURSES_H          curses.h)

Usually means you did not install the dev package.

-Bill

> Thanks
> [root@83 build]# /usr/local/bin/cmake ./../cmake-2.8.10.2
> Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built.
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /home/pradeep/softwares/cmake-2.8.10.2
> [root@83 build]# locate libncurses.so.5
> /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5
> /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.5
> /usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5
> /usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5.5
> [root@83 build]# /usr/local/bin/cmake
> -DCURSES_NCURSES_LIBRARY=/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5 ../cmake-2.8.10.2
> Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built.
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /home/pradeep/softwares/cmake-2.8.10.2
>

> 2013/1/29 Eric Noulard <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     -DCURSES_NCURSES_LIBRARY=/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5 ../cmake-2.8.10.2

Bill Hoffman
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
[hidden email]
http://www.kitware.com
518 881-4905 (Direct)
518 371-3971 x105
Fax (518) 371-4573

Re: ccmake is not getting installed

Pradeep Jha-2
Hello,

I do have the ncurses.h file

[root@83 cmake-2.8.10.2]# locate ncurses.h
/usr/include/ncurses.h
/usr/include/ncurses/ncurses.h
/usr/include/ncursesw/ncurses.h

But how do I make the compiler notice it?

2013/1/30 Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]>
[...]

Fax <a href="tel:%28518%29%20371-4573" value="+15183714573" target="_blank">(518) 371-4573

On 1/29/2013 10:29 AM, Pradeep Jha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I do have the ncurses.h file

Can you run cmake like this and send me the log.  (off the list it will
be big.)

cmake -DCMAKE_FIND_DEBUG_MODE=TRUE --trace

--
Bill Hoffman
Kitware, Inc.

Re: ccmake is not getting installed

Michael Jackson
On Jan 29, 2013, at 10:38 AM, Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/29/2013 10:29 AM, Pradeep Jha wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I do have the ncurses.h file
>>

> Can you run cmake like this and send me the log.  (off the list it will be big.)
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_FIND_DEBUG_MODE=TRUE --trace
>
> --
> Bill Hoffman
This one always gets me on Linux. one usually has to do something like "apt-get install curses-dev" or something like that in order to get the ncurses headers installed. A google search will get you the exact command for your linux distribution. Then I usually have to completely delete the cmake source & build and just start over. Your Mileage may vary.
--
Mike Jackson <www.bluequartz.net>

On 1/29/2013 8:56 PM, Pradeep Jha wrote:
> I printed both CURSES_NCURSES_LIBRARY  AND NOT  CURSES_CURSES_LIBRARY
> and they were respectively "/usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5" and
> "/usr/lib64/libcurses.so" and so  the variable CURSES_USE_NCURSES was
> set to False. I didnt know what to do so I forced the last variable to
> true after this statement. This seems to have installed the latest
> version of ccmake.

OK, so it found curses on your machine and ncurse, but you do not have
the curses.h header file so it failed.  I think this is fixed in more
recent versions of cmake.  So, you could have bootstrapped maybe or just
gone into the cache and set the curses header file path.

I added the cmake mailing list back into the cc.

--
Bill Hoffman
Kitware, Inc.