boostrap error - borked cmConfigure.h [v2.8.12.1]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

boostrap error - borked cmConfigure.h [v2.8.12.1]

Szilárd Páll-3
Hi,

I'm trying to compile 2.8.12.1, but I keep bumping into an error:
[...]
/tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1/Bootstrap.cmk/cmConfigure.h:27:24: warning:
missing terminating " character [enabled by default]
"8define CMAKE_DATA_DIR "/share/cmake-2
[...]

This seems to be caused by a rather messed up-looking cmConfigure.h:
[...]
/* #undef CMAKE_NO_ANSI_STRING_STREAM */
/* #undef CMAKE_NO_ANSI_FOR_SCOPE */
#define CMAKE_ROOT_DIR "/home/pszilard/tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1"
#define CMAKE_DATA_DIR "/share/cmake-2^M.8^M"
#define CMAKE_BOOTSTRAP

Note that I've manually added the "^M" control characters which would
show up as newlines when pasted into the mail client.

I've tried running on both an Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 machine with
different compiler versions, but of course, no compiler swallowed this
broken include file.

Any ideas what's going on?

Cheers,
--
Szilárd
--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boostrap error - borked cmConfigure.h [v2.8.12.1]

Szilárd Páll-3
Found a workaround:
$ find /tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1 -type f | xargs dos2unix

This must be a bug, should I file a report?
--
Szilárd


On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Szilárd Páll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile 2.8.12.1, but I keep bumping into an error:
> [...]
> /tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1/Bootstrap.cmk/cmConfigure.h:27:24: warning:
> missing terminating " character [enabled by default]
> "8define CMAKE_DATA_DIR "/share/cmake-2
> [...]
>
> This seems to be caused by a rather messed up-looking cmConfigure.h:
> [...]
> /* #undef CMAKE_NO_ANSI_STRING_STREAM */
> /* #undef CMAKE_NO_ANSI_FOR_SCOPE */
> #define CMAKE_ROOT_DIR "/home/pszilard/tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1"
> #define CMAKE_DATA_DIR "/share/cmake-2^M.8^M"
> #define CMAKE_BOOTSTRAP
>
> Note that I've manually added the "^M" control characters which would
> show up as newlines when pasted into the mail client.
>
> I've tried running on both an Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 machine with
> different compiler versions, but of course, no compiler swallowed this
> broken include file.
>
> Any ideas what's going on?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Szilárd
--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boostrap error - borked cmConfigure.h [v2.8.12.1]

Nils Gladitz-2
On 01/10/2014 02:16 PM, Szilárd Páll wrote:
> Found a workaround:
> $ find /tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1 -type f | xargs dos2unix
>
> This must be a bug, should I file a report?
Did you use the "Windows Source" zip file instead of the "Unix/Linux
Source" tar.gz/tar.Z?

Nils
--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boostrap error - borked cmConfigure.h [v2.8.12.1]

Andreas Pakulat-2
In reply to this post by Szilárd Páll-3
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Szilárd Páll <[hidden email]> wrote:
Found a workaround:
$ find /tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1 -type f | xargs dos2unix

This must be a bug, should I file a report?

Did you use the .zip file of the CMake sources? That one is intended to be used for Windows and hence contains Windows lineendings. Thus its not surprising that you have to convert that to unix first, not all *nix tools can handle windows lineendings.

Alternatively you can use the *.tar.* download of the CMake sources.

Andreas
 

--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boostrap error - borked cmConfigure.h [v2.8.12.1]

Szilárd Páll-3
Indeed, I did (accidentally) download the .zip package. I was rather
annoyed that the bootstrap script did not have executable permission
set, but it did not ring a bell... Thanks guys!

Just for curiosity:
- what *nix tool does not support CR+LF?
- the cross-platform codes I work on use LF newlines but build without
problem on Windows (msvc, intel, gcc). Why does CMake need two
separate packages with different newlines?

Cheers,
--
Szilárd


On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andreas Pakulat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Szilárd Páll <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Found a workaround:
>> $ find /tmp/cmake-2.8.12.1 -type f | xargs dos2unix
>>
>> This must be a bug, should I file a report?
>
>
> Did you use the .zip file of the CMake sources? That one is intended to be
> used for Windows and hence contains Windows lineendings. Thus its not
> surprising that you have to convert that to unix first, not all *nix tools
> can handle windows lineendings.
>
> Alternatively you can use the *.tar.* download of the CMake sources.
>
> Andreas
>
--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boostrap error - borked cmConfigure.h [v2.8.12.1]

Andreas Pakulat-2
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Szilárd Páll <[hidden email]> wrote:
Indeed, I did (accidentally) download the .zip package. I was rather
annoyed that the bootstrap script did not have executable permission
set, but it did not ring a bell... Thanks guys!

Just for curiosity:
- what *nix tool does not support CR+LF?

As your error shows they got transported literally from an end of line into a c++ header. Which part in the build process would need to be fixed I don't know, I'd start searching where the cmake-2.8 value is supposed to come from and who generates the numbers.
 
- the cross-platform codes I work on use LF newlines but build without
problem on Windows (msvc, intel, gcc). Why does CMake need two
separate packages with different newlines?

The problem is not so much the compilers (though there could be older versions which choke on just lf), but some editors still require crlf for line breaks (try opening a unix-file with Windows' notepad).

Andreas

--

Powered by www.kitware.com

Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.cmake.org/mailman/listinfo/cmake