[blog article] It's Time To Do CMake Right

[blog article] It's Time To Do CMake Right

Cristian Adam
Hi,

I thought the audience here would appreciate this:

It did quite a stir on /r/cpp too:

Cheers,
Cristian.

Re: [blog article] It's Time To Do CMake Right

Kai Wolf
Nice,

​I've found a smaller issue though. I've just submitted a PR on GitHub.
The reddit discussion is also interesting. A common theme in the typical "CMake is bad" discussions is not the lack of documentation​, but a good tutorial on how to *actually accomplish things* using CMake in a correct and scalabale manner.
As a shameless self-plug: I am currently writing a book[1] on exact this topic and really hope, I'll be able to release it by summer 2018 :-(

Greetings,

Kai

Nice,

​I've found a smaller issue though. I've just submitted a PR on GitHub.
The reddit discussion is also interesting. A common theme in the typical "CMake is bad" discussions is not the lack of documentation​, but a good tutorial on how to *actually accomplish things* using CMake in a correct and scalabale manner.
As a shameless self-plug: I am currently writing a book[1] on exact this topic and really hope, I'll be able to release it by summer 2018 :-(

Greetings,

Kai

I thought the audience here would appreciate this:

It did quite a stir on /r/cpp too:

Cheers,
Cristian.

Re: [blog article] It's Time To Do CMake Right

Boudewijn Rempt
On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 14:59:10 CET Kai Wolf wrote:
>  Nice,
>
> ​I've found a smaller issue though. I've just submitted a PR on GitHub.
> The reddit discussion is also interesting. A common theme in the typical
> "CMake is bad" discussions is not the lack of documentation​, but a good
> tutorial on how to *actually accomplish things* using CMake in a correct
> and scalable manner.

I've used cmake since 2006, and I am completely in a fog when it comes to how
I should update my project (which has a couple of hundred cmakelists.txt
files, thirty external cmake projects and oodles of libraries and plugins) to
something more modern...

> As a shameless self-plug: I am currently writing a book[1] on exact this
> topic and really hope, I'll be able to release it by summer 2018 :-(

Well, put me down for three copies!

--
Boudewijn Rempt | https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org

Re: [blog article] It's Time To Do CMake Right

Kai Wolf
​Well, sounds like a reasonably sized C++ project :-)

On a more serious note: Are you aware of so called Superbuilds? This is a term that is used quite often in the context of large CMake based dependency builds. Speaking from personal experience, I've found that Superbuild projects do scale quite well and managing a large set of (external) thirdparty dependencies is usually not as bad as it might look.

Greetings,

On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 14:59:10 CET Kai Wolf wrote:
>  Nice,
>
> ​I've found a smaller issue though. I've just submitted a PR on GitHub.
> The reddit discussion is also interesting. A common theme in the typical
> "CMake is bad" discussions is not the lack of documentation​, but a good
> tutorial on how to *actually accomplish things* using CMake in a correct
> and scalable manner.

I've used cmake since 2006, and I am completely in a fog when it comes to how
I should update my project (which has a couple of hundred cmakelists.txt
files, thirty external cmake projects and oodles of libraries and plugins) to
something more modern...

> As a shameless self-plug: I am currently writing a book[1] on exact this
> topic and really hope, I'll be able to release it by summer 2018 :-(

Well, put me down for three copies!

--
Boudewijn Rempt | https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org

Re: [blog article] It's Time To Do CMake Right

Eric Eide
Kai Wolf <[hidden email]> writes:

> As a shameless self-plug: I am currently writing a book[1] on exact this
> topic and really hope, I'll be able to release it by summer 2018 :-(
> [1] http://effective-cmake.com/

This is great to hear!

Eric Eide <[hidden email]>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX

Re: [blog article] It's Time To Do CMake Right

Steven Stallion
Indeed. Our CMake build here is spread across >500 list files with
around 1G of source code. I've often wondered how it compared to other
large C and assembly projects. To wit, several of the practices in the
article we've followed as well. It's great to hear that someone is
working on a book - I've considered doing the same!