Quantcast

Windows path too long

Robert Bielik-4
I have a problem with a VS 2015 project, where the build state path becomes too long:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error MSB3491 Could not write lines to file "processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.dir\Release\processo.92BD73FC.tlog\processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.lastbuildstate". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. processor_withAVeryVeryLongName C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets 312

The line in Microsoft.CppBuild.targets is:

<WriteLinesToFile Overwrite="true" File="$(LastBuildState)" Lines="$(ProjectStateLine);$(ProjectEvaluationFingerprint)"/>

I've set CMAKE_OBJECT_PATH_MAX to 240, but I don't think it will affect this...

Ideas ?

This is with CMake 3.5.2.

Regards
/Robert

Re: Windows path too long

CMake mailing list
I suppose the obvious "use shorter paths and names" is not possible or hard to enforce?

David

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 2:55 AM, Robert Bielik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a problem with a VS 2015 project, where the build state path becomes too long:
>
> Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
> Error    MSB3491    Could not write lines to file "processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.dir\Release\processo.92BD73FC.tlog\processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.lastbuildstate". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.    processor_withAVeryVeryLongName    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets    312
>
> The line in Microsoft.CppBuild.targets is:
>
> <WriteLinesToFile Overwrite="true" File="$(LastBuildState)" Lines="$(ProjectStateLine);$(ProjectEvaluationFingerprint)"/>
>
> I've set CMAKE_OBJECT_PATH_MAX to 240, but I don't think it will affect this...
>
> Ideas ?
>
> This is with CMake 3.5.2.
>
> Regards
> /Robert

Re: Windows path too long

mike lojkovic

Can you change to windows 10? If you are on 10, you can turn the restriction off. Otherwise, I believe there's complicated ways to shorten the path.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/311861

On Sep 7, 2016 8:07 AM, "David Cole via CMake" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suppose the obvious "use shorter paths and names" is not possible or hard to enforce?

David

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 2:55 AM, Robert Bielik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a problem with a VS 2015 project, where the build state path becomes too long:
>
> Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
> Error    MSB3491    Could not write lines to file "processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.dir\Release\processo.92BD73FC.tlog\processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.lastbuildstate". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.    processor_withAVeryVeryLongName    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets    312
>
> The line in Microsoft.CppBuild.targets is:
>
> <WriteLinesToFile Overwrite="true" File="$(LastBuildState)" Lines="$(ProjectStateLine);$(ProjectEvaluationFingerprint)"/>
>
> I've set CMAKE_OBJECT_PATH_MAX to 240, but I don't think it will affect this...
>
> Ideas ?
>
> This is with CMake 3.5.2.
>
> Regards
> /Robert

Re: Windows path too long

CMake mailing list

It’s a little more complicated than just saying Windows 10 and turning on a regkey. There are other changes that need to be enabled in order to get the whole scenario working. The main one being that MSBuild needs to be updated and manifested to be able to use paths longer than 260 characters. Even if the files were created properly, they couldn’t be read or written without the tool that was using them being updated.

Many pieces of the system have assumptions on the 260 character limit and they all need to be moved forward for this to work properly. This will be a staged migration.

Thanks

Can you change to windows 10? If you are on 10, you can turn the restriction off. Otherwise, I believe there's complicated ways to shorten the path.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/311861

On Sep 7, 2016 8:07 AM, "David Cole via CMake" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I suppose the obvious "use shorter paths and names" is not possible or hard to enforce?

David

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 2:55 AM, Robert Bielik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a problem with a VS 2015 project, where the build state path becomes too long:
>
> Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
> Error    MSB3491    Could not write lines to file "processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.dir\Release\processo.92BD73FC.tlog\processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.lastbuildstate". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.    processor_withAVeryVeryLongName    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets    312
>
> The line in Microsoft.CppBuild.targets is:
>
> <WriteLinesToFile Overwrite="true" File="$(LastBuildState)" Lines="$(ProjectStateLine);$(ProjectEvaluationFingerprint)"/>
>
> I've set CMAKE_OBJECT_PATH_MAX to 240, but I don't think it will affect this...
>
> Ideas ?
>
> This is with CMake 3.5.2.
>
> Regards
> /Robert

Re: Windows path too long

Robert Bielik-4

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I didn’t know that. Well... gonna have to take the plunge some day, might aswell be now... :)

Regards

/R

Can you change to windows 10? If you are on 10, you can turn the restriction off. Otherwise, I believe there's complicated ways to shorten the path.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/311861

On Sep 7, 2016 8:07 AM, "David Cole via CMake" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I suppose the obvious "use shorter paths and names" is not possible or hard to enforce?

David

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 2:55 AM, Robert Bielik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a problem with a VS 2015 project, where the build state path becomes too long:
>
> Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
> Error    MSB3491    Could not write lines to file "processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.dir\Release\processo.92BD73FC.tlog\processor_withAVeryVeryLongName.lastbuildstate". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.    processor_withAVeryVeryLongName    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets    312
>
> The line in Microsoft.CppBuild.targets is:
>
> <WriteLinesToFile Overwrite="true" File="$(LastBuildState)" Lines="$(ProjectStateLine);$(ProjectEvaluationFingerprint)"/>
>
> I've set CMAKE_OBJECT_PATH_MAX to 240, but I don't think it will affect this...
>
> Ideas ?
>
> This is with CMake 3.5.2.
>
> Regards
> /Robert

Re: Windows path too long

fostersanders

I had the same problem. I didn´t know what to do so I searched on the internet for some solutions.

And I read about [b]Long Path Tool[/b], which is a great tool in these type of cases. :o

It worked really well. Hope it works for you too   :p