Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Brian Davis-2

Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Without even regenerating or re configuring (even though that has no effect either) when "Open Project" is selected 2017 is opened and not 2013... errr what am I targeting again?  Happened after 2017 install.  How does CMake Decide which app to call.... err I got a sneaky suspicion as to how.... in a not so goodly way.

Sure wishI could get CMake to open VS2013 with the environment vars I ahve set when it was called... guess  I'll have to settle for the new and improved VS2017 I can't use on the project.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Scott Aron Bloom-2

It doesn’t for me..  I would check your path…  its probably just calling devenv, and not an explicit path

Scott

Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Without even regenerating or re configuring (even though that has no effect either) when "Open Project" is selected 2017 is opened and not 2013... errr what am I targeting again?  Happened after 2017 install.  How does CMake Decide which app to call.... err I got a sneaky suspicion as to how.... in a not so goodly way.

Sure wishI could get CMake to open VS2013 with the environment vars I ahve set when it was called... guess  I'll have to settle for the new and improved VS2017 I can't use on the project.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Hendrik Sattler

Am 15. August 2018 00:20:37 MESZ schrieb Brian Davis <[hidden email]>:

>Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing
>2017... sigh.
>
>Without even regenerating or re configuring (even though that has no
>effect
>either) when "Open Project" is selected 2017 is opened and not 2013...
>errr
>what am I targeting again?  Happened after 2017 install.  How does
>CMake
>Decide which app to call.... err I got a sneaky suspicion as to how....
>in
>a not so goodly way.
>
>Sure wishI could get CMake to open VS2013 with the environment vars I
>ahve
>set when it was called... guess  I'll have to settle for the new and
>improved VS2017 I can't use on the project.

Or probably uses the Qt function to open the project file with the same program that is configured in Explorer. So change it there. There is a Visual Studio version selector but VS2017 can also open some older versions and use their toolkits.

HS

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

J Decker
Visual studio 2017 is able to keep old project types and build them as is... so it is using the 2013 tools even though loaded in the 2017 IDE.
I noticed this because the command line build tools are 2015, so if I configure a project for node; it gets built as 2015, and the visual studio project when loaded in 2017 shows (Visual Studio 2015) after the project in solution explorer...

And/or you should be able to set the platform toolset

(in the project property dialog, General) Platform toolset : Visual Studio 2015 (v140)
I've seen it with other IDE projects; I don't have that system available though (back to v110_xp)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 3:20 PM Brian Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Without even regenerating or re configuring (even though that has no effect either) when "Open Project" is selected 2017 is opened and not 2013... errr what am I targeting again?  Happened after 2017 install.  How does CMake Decide which app to call.... err I got a sneaky suspicion as to how.... in a not so goodly way.

Sure wishI could get CMake to open VS2013 with the environment vars I ahve set when it was called... guess  I'll have to settle for the new and improved VS2017 I can't use on the project.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Brian Davis-2

It also cannot find CUDA likely as CUDA was not installed after 2017.  I would like it to load 2013 after being told to generate Visual Studio 2013 project files.  Is this difficult to ask fo Kitware?  I am sure there are certainly some shenanigans like path or VS2017 hooking calls to 2013 tools or the like all of which I am sure make sens to a cubite in the bowels of the MS machine.  VS loaded 2017 and vs 2013  proj files then promptly had problems searching files, compiling stale targets and the like.  So while VS2017 make "hook" 2013 tools it certainly can't do any thing useful with them IME.  Is there a Meta buld tool (goop generator) that will build goop for a target goop reader then call said target goop reader (of correct specified version) to read goop and compile my code?  sigh.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Ruben Di Battista
What about switching to Linux? It generally does what you tell it to do. :)

(Just wanted to release a bit the tension here… Dunno how effective it is...)
_
-.     .´  |∞∞∞∞
  ',  ;    |∞∞∞∞∞∞
    ˜˜     |∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞ RdB
    ,.,    |∞∞∞∞∞∞
  .'   '.  |∞∞∞∞
-'       `’

https://rdb.is

On 15 agosto 2018 a 01:27:07, Brian Davis ([hidden email]) scritto:

[...]

Robert Maynard
> cannot find CUDA likely as CUDA was not installed after 2017

The CUDA language support requires the CUDA MSBUILD extensions, which
will require you to run the CUDA installer again ( it only installs
the msbuild extensions for versions that are currently installed ).

>  I would like it to load 2013 after being told to generate Visual Studio 2013 project files.

 As Hendrik stated CMake defers to the windows shell/explorer for
opening solution files.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 7:27 PM Brian Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It also cannot find CUDA likely as CUDA was not installed after 2017.  I would like it to load 2013 after being told to generate Visual Studio 2013 project files.  Is this difficult to ask fo Kitware?  I am sure there are certainly some shenanigans like path or VS2017 hooking calls to 2013 tools or the like all of which I am sure make sens to a cubite in the bowels of the MS machine.  VS loaded 2017 and vs 2013  proj files then promptly had problems searching files, compiling stale targets and the like.  So while VS2017 make "hook" 2013 tools it certainly can't do any thing useful with them IME.  Is there a Meta buld tool (goop generator) that will build goop for a target goop reader then call said target goop reader (of correct specified version) to read goop and compile my code?  sigh.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Brian Davis-2
Yes I know all about the bit about having to reinstall CUDA (been using it since the 2.0 days) for 2017 (using VS since 2005).... if only I could get CMake to call VS2013... ya know the version that already has cuda 8.0 installed and configured and the extensions from C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v8.0\extras\visual_studio_integration\MSBuildExtensions that get installed

Can CMake defer to what the user ultimately wants? .. say the correct version of VS.  I mean that is what I thought I specified.

I had thought when I upgraded to 3.8/3.9 or whatever at the time that ... Oh great they now have an open project button... .maybe that will allow me to not have to generate .bat scripts to load VS (mind you my .bat script generation in CMake could actually tell me which correct version to load so these kinds of things are possible) with the env vars I set and set them in CMake and have CMake load VS (again correct version) with said env.  It worked like a charm... well for a while anyway as it does with anything in the tech world.  I certainly feel like I have upgraded.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> cannot find CUDA likely as CUDA was not installed after 2017

The CUDA language support requires the CUDA MSBUILD extensions, which
will require you to run the CUDA installer again ( it only installs
the msbuild extensions for versions that are currently installed ).

>  I would like it to load 2013 after being told to generate Visual Studio 2013 project files.

 As Hendrik stated CMake defers to the windows shell/explorer for
opening solution files.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 7:27 PM Brian Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It also cannot find CUDA likely as CUDA was not installed after 2017.  I would like it to load 2013 after being told to generate Visual Studio 2013 project files.  Is this difficult to ask fo Kitware?  I am sure there are certainly some shenanigans like path or VS2017 hooking calls to 2013 tools or the like all of which I am sure make sens to a cubite in the bowels of the MS machine.  VS loaded 2017 and vs 2013  proj files then promptly had problems searching files, compiling stale targets and the like.  So while VS2017 make "hook" 2013 tools it certainly can't do any thing useful with them IME.  Is there a Meta buld tool (goop generator) that will build goop for a target goop reader then call said target goop reader (of correct specified version) to read goop and compile my code?  sigh.

Brian J. Davis

Am 15. August 2018 17:45:46 MESZ schrieb Brian Davis <[hidden email]>:
>Can CMake defer to what the user ultimately wants? .. say the correct
>version of VS.  I mean that is what I thought I specified.

Do you actually read the answers?
You can configure that in the Windows explorer like it you wanted to open the .sln file from there. Visual Studio install the right tool.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Brian Davis-2
So here's some more odd bits.  Due to CMake (originally I only wanted to upgrade VS)  I have now entered the version upgrade cascade and upgraded to cuda 9.0 (yes the one with 4 patches, but the only one that works TensorFlow on windows due to cuDNN.dll... sigh)  in hopes to get VS2017 to work (hey why not right) and while I am at it why not upgrade CMake to 3.12.1 (latest) surely that will work like a charm.   So lets go through the config chart:

using CMake 3.12.1 (delete cache each time / start from scratch)

Configure -> VS 2013 -> cuda=9.0 in (optional toolset to use (argument to -T)) ->Generate -> Open Project

I get:

The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.31101.0

The CUDA compiler identification is NVIDIA 9.0.176

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

Detecting CXX compile features

Detecting CXX compile features - done

Check for working CUDA compiler: C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit/CUDA/v9.0/bin/nvcc.exe

Check for working CUDA compiler: C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit/CUDA/v9.0/bin/nvcc.exe -- works

Detecting CUDA compiler ABI info

Detecting CUDA compiler ABI info - done

Found OpenGL: opengl32

FUORO4D_UTILITY_LIB_DEBUG = C:/projects/4DRTProto/4DRTProto/build/x64/Debug/Libraries/4DFUtilities.lib

and starts VS 2017 (now mind you *some* of those projects are loaded with include_external_msproject (yeah I am guessing people may start to see the problem here so loading the correct version of VS may well be important.) and as such will be mixed mode cuda 8/9 surly to be a hoot in the future if that path were continued.

so it successfully generates and loads something I cannot use at least without resorting back to my .bat scripts with env vars set to load VS2013

So hey lets switch back to 8.0

Configure -> VS 2013 -> cuda=8.0 in (optional toolset to use (argument to -T)) ->Generate -> Open Project

The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.31101.0

The CUDA compiler identification is NVIDIA 8.0.60

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

Detecting CXX compile features

Detecting CXX compile features - done

Check for working CUDA compiler: C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit/CUDA/v8.0/bin/nvcc.exe

Check for working CUDA compiler: C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit/CUDA/v8.0/bin/nvcc.exe -- works

Detecting CUDA compiler ABI info

Detecting CUDA compiler ABI info - done

Found OpenGL: opengl32

FUORO4D_UTILITY_LIB_DEBUG = C:/projects/4DRTProto/4DRTProto/build/x64/Debug/Libraries/4DFUtilities.lib

Configuring done

VS2017 loads again and complains about one or more project files were not loaded correctly.  No surprise there.

Configure -> VS 2017 -> cuda=8.0 in (optional toolset to use (argument to -T)) ->Generate -> Open Project

Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.17134.0 to target Windows 10.0.16299.

The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.14.26433.0

The CUDA compiler identification is unknown

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.14.26428/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.14.26428/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe -- works

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

Detecting CXX compile features

Detecting CXX compile features - done

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:14 (PROJECT):
No CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER could be found.

Hmm that ain't never going to work.  I installed 9.0 after VS2017 install however.

Configure -> VS 2017 -> cuda=9.0 in (optional toolset to use (argument to -T)) ->Generate -> Open Project

Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.17134.0 to target Windows 10.0.16299.

The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.14.26433.0

The CUDA compiler identification is unknown

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.14.26428/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.14.26428/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe -- works

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

Detecting CXX compile features

Detecting CXX compile features - done

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:14 (PROJECT):
No CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER could be found.

Ditto for that attempt

Configure -> VS 2017 -> leave blank in desperate hope CMake will figure it out  in (optional toolset to use (argument to -T)) ->Generate -> Open Project

Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.17134.0 to target Windows 10.0.16299.

The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.14.26433.0

The CUDA compiler identification is unknown

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.14.26428/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.14.26428/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe -- works

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

Detecting CXX compile features

Detecting CXX compile features - done

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:14 (PROJECT):
No CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER could be found.

Ditto for that attempt

Aces! This sure is awesome.

--
Brian J. Davis

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Robert Maynard
The MSVC / CUDA support recently has been very challenging to keep track of. In general CUDA will only support a single patch release of MSVC, and given how MSVC 2017 doesn't easily allow rollbacks and has a pretty aggressive update policy ( compared to older MSVC versions ) causes lots of pain. This in general has been a community wide MSVC+CUDA issue.

CUDA 9.2 only supports VS 2017 15.0 and 15.6

When using MSVC 2017 and CUDA you will need to specify an explicit host side compiler with -T version=15.## including the minor version ( https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/release/3.12.html#id3 ).

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
The MSVC / CUDA support recently has been very challenging to keep track of. In general CUDA will only support a single patch release of MSVC, and given how MSVC 2017 doesn't easily allow rollbacks and has a pretty aggressive update policy ( compared to older MSVC versions ) causes lots of pain. This in general has been a community wide MSVC+CUDA issue.

CUDA 9.2 only supports VS 2017 15.0 and 15.6

When using MSVC 2017 and CUDA you will need to specify an explicit host side compiler with -T version=15.## including the minor version ( https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/release/3.12.html#id3 ).

sigh... of course (though be careful with the term does not and cannot and zero support - I am a thinkin I could get CMake to support CUDA 8 in VS2017 - if I realy wanted to - I mean it's not realy VS/MSVC doing the compiling is it?-rhetorical).  This is making the case for what I had to do in the 2.8 days (well also again when NVIDIA could not decide on where to put their.... stuff in the file system and CMake was always one version or so behind) and roll my own CMake cuda support... yes this happened... and it could again.  Time to look back into my old svn tree.  sweet... kickin it with svn again the good old days.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 9:18 AM Brian Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
The MSVC / CUDA support recently has been very challenging to keep track of. In general CUDA will only support a single patch release of MSVC, and given how MSVC 2017 doesn't easily allow rollbacks and has a pretty aggressive update policy ( compared to older MSVC versions ) causes lots of pain. This in general has been a community wide MSVC+CUDA issue.

CUDA 9.2 only supports VS 2017 15.0 and 15.6

When using MSVC 2017 and CUDA you will need to specify an explicit host side compiler with -T version=15.## including the minor version ( https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/release/3.12.html#id3 ).

Can't that be set by passing the toolset with a -T ? like -T "v120_xp"    or -T "v120"

This is an article about side-by-side toolsets https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/11/15/side-by-side-minor-version-msvc-toolsets-in-visual-studio-2017/  but it looks like it only goes back to 2015...

(and sorry to ramble a bit)
Slightly off topic; but I ran into a feature of the new optimizer that shuffles commands.... I had a critical section lock that it ended up clearing the locking bit, before releasing the other value; can defiantly see lots of code breaking from that; firefox wants to only build with 15.6 but community is only 15.5 or 15.8 preview...  (I fixed the codea dding 'volatile , and referencing the other value with a computation that resulted with 0 instead.)

Sometimes code is in a certain order for specific reasons :) Sometims, it can be shuffled ....   (a=1;b=2;) ~~ (b=2;a=1) (same result different order)

sigh... of course (though be careful with the term does not and cannot and zero support - I am a thinkin I could get CMake to support CUDA 8 in VS2017 - if I realy wanted to - I mean it's not realy VS/MSVC doing the compiling is it?-rhetorical).  This is making the case for what I had to do in the 2.8 days (well also again when NVIDIA could not decide on where to put their.... stuff in the file system and CMake was always one version or so behind) and roll my own CMake cuda support... yes this happened... and it could again.  Time to look back into my old svn tree.  sweet... kickin it with svn again the good old days.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Robert Maynard
> Can't that be set by passing the toolset with a -T

That is what I was trying to say with my last sentence. You will need
to use CMake 3.12 to have support for specifying the minor toolset
version though.

> [...]

>>> CUDA 9.0 and 9.1 only supports VS 2017 15.0 (https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/archive/9.0/cuda-installation-guide-microsoft-windows/index.html, https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/archive/9.1/cuda-installation-guide-microsoft-windows/index.html)
>>> CUDA 9.2 only supports VS 2017 15.0 and 15.6
>>>
>>> When using MSVC 2017 and CUDA you will need to specify an explicit host side compiler with -T version=15.## including the minor version ( https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/release/3.12.html#id3 ).
>>

> Can't that be set by passing the toolset with a -T ? like -T "v120_xp"    or -T "v120"
>
> This is an article about side-by-side toolsets https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/11/15/side-by-side-minor-version-msvc-toolsets-in-visual-studio-2017/  but it looks like it only goes back to 2015...

Between https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/11/15/side-by-side-minor-version-msvc-toolsets-in-visual-studio-2017/ , https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/archive/8.0/cuda-installation-guide-microsoft-windows/index.html and https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/release/3.12.html#id3  I am wondering if MS, NVIDIA, and CMake can get together and make a super secret decoder ring set (1 CMake, 1 MS, and 1 NVIDIA - imagine the street cred I would have on the internet superhighway if I had that kind of bling) Bluetooth enabled so as to activate the MS's stated "escape hatch" (their words not mine) I am working to install in my bit mine so as I can get quick egress to that when needed.  Also MS might consider Bluetooth enabled accessory (shock collar)  when decoder ring is put into versions they rather not support as would alleviate the necessity to review the "VS servicing guidelines".  Then if when the decoder rings are set to all the correct versions and with their powers combined I could compile an application.  Great reads all.

So how do I get this to work?

PROJECT(PROJECT_NAME CXX CUDA )

and then for 2017 and CUDA 9.0 at the toolset -T line in GUI:

cuda=9.0 v141 ???

My -Bv in test app outputs:

1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\bin\HostX86\x86\CL.exe:        Version 19.14.26433.0
1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\bin\HostX86\x86\c1.dll:        Version 19.14.26433.0
1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\bin\HostX86\x86\c1xx.dll:      Version 19.14.26433.0
1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\bin\HostX86\x86\c2.dll:        Version 19.14.26433.0
1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\bin\HostX86\x86\link.exe:      Version 14.14.26433.0
1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\bin\HostX86\x86\mspdb140.dll:  Version 14.14.26433.0
1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428\bin\HostX86\x86\1033\clui.dll: Version 19.14.26433.0

which if I interpret correctly (sadly with out my decoder rings) is not in https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/11/15/side-by-side-minor-version-msvc-toolsets-in-visual-studio-2017/

as last entry is:

VS2017, version 15.5     v141 in VS; version 14.12     1912

Also from above

When using MSVC 2017 and CUDA you will need to specify an explicit host side compiler with -T version=15.## including the minor version ( https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/release/3.12.html#id3 ).

would that be:

version=19.14

so putting it all together at -T line:

cuda=9.0 v141 version=19.14

?

Can we just skip to the future where we are defining compile settings in genetic code sequences?

GCUACGGAGCUUCA

This is becoming a real monster anyway we may all want to just skip ahead to the punchline.

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Brian Davis-2

With CUDA 8.0 and 9.0 installed and Visual Stuido 2013 (and god only knows what versions of 2017 updated up grades with whatever tools versions)

CMake -> Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64 -> Optional toolset to use (arguments to -T -> cuda=8.0

The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.31101.0

The CUDA compiler identification is NVIDIA 8.0.60

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

Detecting CXX compile features

Detecting CXX compile features - done

Check for working CUDA compiler: C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit/CUDA/v8.0/bin/nvcc.exe

Check for working CUDA compiler: C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit/CUDA/v8.0/bin/nvcc.exe -- works

Detecting CUDA compiler ABI info

Detecting CUDA compiler ABI info - done

Found OpenGL: opengl32

So, ok finds CUDA 8.0 nvcc

CMake -> Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64 -> Optional toolset to use (arguments to -T -> cuda=8.0

Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.17134.0 to target Windows 10.0.16299.

The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.15.26726.0

The CUDA compiler identification is unknown

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.15.26726/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe

Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.15.26726/bin/Hostx86/x64/cl.exe -- works

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

Detecting CXX compile features

Detecting CXX compile features - done

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:14 (PROJECT):
No CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER could be found.

Though I am pretty sure it's there

Directory of c:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v9.0\bin

08/15/2018 06:47 PM <DIR> .
08/15/2018 06:47 PM <DIR> ..
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 163,840 bin2c.exe
08/15/2018 06:46 PM <DIR> crt
07/10/2018 04:50 PM 60,549,120 cublas64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 347,136 cuda-memcheck.exe
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 3,930,112 cudafe++.exe
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 4,226,048 cudafe.exe
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 299,520 cudart32_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 373,760 cudart64_90.dll
08/15/2018 10:07 AM 288,159,744 cudnn64_7.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 131,197,952 cufft64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 199,680 cufftw64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 3,575,808 cuinj32_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 4,495,360 cuinj64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 1,411,072 cuobjdump.exe
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 48,057,344 curand64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 75,222,016 cusolver64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 54,782,464 cusparse64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 246,784 fatbinary.exe
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 1,274,880 gpu-library-advisor.exe
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 205,824 nppc64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 9,744,384 nppial64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 3,953,664 nppicc64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 1,035,264 nppicom64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 7,291,392 nppidei64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 55,641,088 nppif64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 26,491,904 nppig64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 4,767,232 nppim64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 14,943,232 nppist64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 179,200 nppisu64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 2,629,120 nppitc64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 9,024,512 npps64_90.dll
07/10/2018 04:49 PM 241,664 nvblas64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 325,632 nvcc.exe
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 328 nvcc.profile
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 16,261,120 nvdisasm.exe
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 15,747,584 nvgraph64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 7,202,304 nvlink.exe
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 4,005,376 nvprof.exe
09/02/2017 08:45 AM 181,248 nvprune.exe
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 3,182,592 nvrtc-builtins64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 17,302,016 nvrtc64_90.dll
09/02/2017 08:46 AM 53 nvvp.bat
05/16/2018 04:16 PM 7,082,496 ptxas.exe
42 File(s) 885,951,869 bytes
3 Dir(s) 675,381,178,368 bytes free

Dare I ask/look to see how CMake finds nvcc these days?

Dare I ask the question: Is CMake compatible/does it work with Visual Studio and CUDA anymore? Have we entered the days where CMake is always x^N versions behind VS and CUDA?

Is there a test case in CMake I can run to check to see if it works with my VS Version (2017 15.1, 15.2, 15.3, 15.4, 15.5 (from MS web link above) +++ granted I am now running after update 15.8.1) and CUDA 8.0, 9.0, 9,1.

Is there a CMake compatibility chart some where I can plug in my versions on a x/y table to see if it sunk my battle ship?

Re: Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Robert Maynard
In news CUDA 10 release notes include the statement:

- Starting with CUDA 10.0, nvcc supports all versions of Visual Studio 2017 (past and upcoming updates)

So the problems of matching VS versions and CUDA versions should be behind us.

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 11:56 AM Brian Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

J. Caleb Wherry
The Visual C++ team sheds a little more light on this:

Glad they listened to the community and worked with NVIDIA to make this work.

We’ve been holding off migrating from VS2015 to VS2017 because of the pain points with CUDA so I’m glad it’s (hopefully) behind us.

-Caleb