What is the difference between STATIC and INTERNAL cache variables?

What is the difference between STATIC and INTERNAL cache variables?

Timothy Wrona
According to the documentation:

It looks like STATIC cache variables are supposed to be visible from the CMake GUI, but not modifiable. But when I open a project that has some STATIC variables in the CMake GUI it looks like you can't even see them at all (similar to INTERNAL cache variables).

In fact, other than being declared "STATIC" in the "CMakeCache.txt" file I can't see any real difference between these variables and INTERNAL variables.

Is there any difference between STATIC and INTERNAL cache variables in practice?

Thanks,
Tim