Visual Studio with CUDA does not work in 3.9

Visual Studio with CUDA does not work in 3.9

Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian

The absolute minimum example

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.9 FATAL_ERROR)

project(cuda-test LANGUAGES C CXX CUDA)

add_executable(cuda-test main.cu)

Fails to configure with the error:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (project):

  No CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER could be found.

Am I missing something, or is the support mentioned in the change list simply not true?

Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD

Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany

Tel +49 6151 155-606  |  Fax +49 6151 155-139

[hidden email] | www.igd.fraunhofer.de

Re: Visual Studio with CUDA does not work in 3.9

Robert Maynard
Hi,

Do you have the NVIDIA CUDA Visual Studio Integration tools installed?
This is needed for support when using the Visual Studio Generator(s).
Otherwise you can still use ninja or the nmake generators.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The absolute minimum example
>

> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.9 FATAL_ERROR)
>
> project(cuda-test LANGUAGES C CXX CUDA)
>
> add_executable(cuda-test main.cu)
>

> Fails to configure with the error:
>
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (project):
>
>   No CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER could be found.
>

> Am I missing something, or is the support mentioned in the change list
> simply not true?
>

> Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
>
> Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
>
> Tel +49 6151 155-606  |  Fax +49 6151 155-139
>
> [hidden email] | www.igd.fraunhofer.de

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: Visual Studio with CUDA does not work in 3.9

Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian
Hi Robert,

yes, according to the Windows installed program list, I have "NVIDIA CUDA Visual Studio Integration 8.0" installed. I can also create CUDA projects via "New project" and have an Nsight menu entry.

Regards
Johannes Mueller-Roemer

Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
Tel +49 6151 155-606  |  Fax +49 6151 155-139
[hidden email] | www.igd.fraunhofer.de

Do you have the NVIDIA CUDA Visual Studio Integration tools installed?
This is needed for support when using the Visual Studio Generator(s).
Otherwise you can still use ninja or the nmake generators.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The absolute minimum example
>

> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.9 FATAL_ERROR)
>
> project(cuda-test LANGUAGES C CXX CUDA)
>
> add_executable(cuda-test main.cu)
>

> Fails to configure with the error:
>
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (project):
>
>   No CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER could be found.
>

> Am I missing something, or is the support mentioned in the change list
> simply not true?
>

> Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
>
> Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
>
> Tel +49 6151 155-606  |  Fax +49 6151 155-139
>
> [hidden email] | www.igd.fraunhofer.de

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>
> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For
> more information on each offering, please visit:

Re: Visual Studio with CUDA does not work in 3.9

Robert Maynard
Hi

Unfortunately you are going to need to provide more information to
help track down the issue. We currently have machines that verify
2015/8.0 and 2013/7.5 properly work (
https://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=CMake&filtercount=1&showfilters=1&field1=buildname&compare1=63&value1=CUDA
)

Can you please provide run from the build directory cmake
--system-information <file> and send the results?

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> yes, according to the Windows installed program list, I have "NVIDIA CUDA Visual Studio Integration 8.0" installed. I can also create CUDA projects via "New project" and have an Nsight menu entry.
>
> Regards
> Johannes Mueller-Roemer
>
> Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
> Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
> Tel +49 6151 155-606  |  Fax +49 6151 155-139
> [hidden email] | www.igd.fraunhofer.de

If anyone else runs into this issue: I was able to solve it by re-installing the .NET 3.5 Framework which a recent Update had apparently removed (because I have previously built "native" CUDA VS projects on this machine without issues).

This solved the issue for me. If you have an error message like

error MSB4062: The "Nvda.Build.CudaTasks.SanitizePaths" task could not be loaded from the assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\BuildCustomizations\Nvda.Build.CudaTasks.v8.0.dll.
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build.Utilities.v3.5, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Confirm that the <UsingTask> declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements

in your cmake error log, you are running into the same issue.