Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

HarpyWar
CMake could not find Visual Studio 2017 and stops with error:
--
The CXX compiler identification is unknown

Initially Visual Studio Community was installed in path:
E:\Microsoft
But actually part of files are also located in default installation path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community

The files tree from both these directories
https://forums.pvpgn.pro/misc.php?action=pan_download&item=17&download=1

Output from vswhere.exe shows that Visual Studio is installed on disk C:\
(https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere)

Visual Studio Locator, version 1.0.58

instanceId: 3a7dda28
installDate: 23.11.2016
installationName: VisualStudio/15.0.0+26228.9
installationPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community
installationVersion: 15.0.26228.9
displayName: Visual Studio Community 2017
 учащихся, разработчиков решений с открытым кодом и индивидуальных разработчиков

enginePath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\a
pp\ServiceHub\Services\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service
channelId: VisualStudio.15.Release
channelPath: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\_Channe
ls\4CB340F5\catalog.json
channelUri: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/channel

Re: Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

Robert Maynard
Hi,

Which version of CMake are you using?

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 5:01 AM, HarpyWar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> CMake could not find Visual Studio 2017 and stops with error:
> -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
>

> Initially Visual Studio Community was installed in path:
> E:\Microsoft
> But actually part of files are also located in default installation path:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community
>
> The files tree from both these directories
> https://forums.pvpgn.pro/misc.php?action=pan_download&item=17&download=1
>

> Output from vswhere.exe shows that Visual Studio is installed on disk C:\
> (https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere)
>
> Visual Studio Locator, version 1.0.58
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> instanceId: 3a7dda28
> installDate: 23.11.2016
> installationName: VisualStudio/15.0.0+26228.9
> installationPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community
> installationVersion: 15.0.26228.9
> displayName: Visual Studio Community 2017
> для
>  учащихся, разработчиков решений с открытым кодом и индивидуальных
> разработчиков
>
> enginePath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\Installer\resources\a
> pp\ServiceHub\Services\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service
> channelId: VisualStudio.15.Release
> channelPath:
> C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\_Channe
> ls\4CB340F5\catalog.json
> channelUri: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/channel

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

HarpyWar
The latest version cmake-3.8.0-rc3-win32-x86.zip

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Which version of CMake are you using?

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 5:01 AM, HarpyWar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> CMake could not find Visual Studio 2017 and stops with error:
> -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
>

> Initially Visual Studio Community was installed in path:
> E:\Microsoft
> But actually part of files are also located in default installation path:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community
>
> The files tree from both these directories
> https://forums.pvpgn.pro/misc.php?action=pan_download&item=17&download=1
>

> Output from vswhere.exe shows that Visual Studio is installed on disk C:\
> (https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere)
>
> Visual Studio Locator, version 1.0.58
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> instanceId: 3a7dda28
> installDate: 23.11.2016
> installationName: VisualStudio/15.0.0+26228.9
> installationPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community
> installationVersion: 15.0.26228.9
> displayName: Visual Studio Community 2017
> для
>  учащихся, разработчиков решений с открытым кодом и индивидуальных
> разработчиков
>
> enginePath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\Installer\resources\a
> pp\ServiceHub\Services\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service
> channelId: VisualStudio.15.Release
> channelPath:
> C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\_Channe
> ls\4CB340F5\catalog.json
> channelUri: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/channel

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

Robert Maynard
I just installed the Visual Studio Community 2017 edition into my D
drive and verified that both the 32bit and 64bit compiler was found
correctly.

The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.10.25017.0
The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.10.25017.0
Check for working C compiler:
D:/Work/VisualStudo2017/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.10.25017/bin/HostX86/x64/cl.exe
Check for working C compiler:
D:/Work/VisualStudo2017/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.10.25017/bin/HostX86/x64/cl.exe
-- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler:
D:/Work/VisualStudo2017/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.10.25017/bin/HostX86/x64/cl.exe
Check for working CXX compiler:
D:/Work/VisualStudo2017/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.10.25017/bin/HostX86/x64/cl.exe
-- works

So the real question is how did your compiler end up in the C drive
and not the alternative drive like mine. Do you run the visual studio
installer multiple times?

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM, HarpyWar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The latest version cmake-3.8.0-rc3-win32-x86.zip
>
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Robert Maynard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Which version of CMake are you using?
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 5:01 AM, HarpyWar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > CMake could not find Visual Studio 2017 and stops with error:
>> > -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
>> >

>> > Initially Visual Studio Community was installed in path:
>> > E:\Microsoft
>> > But actually part of files are also located in default installation
>> > path:
>> >
>> > C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community
>> >
>> > The files tree from both these directories
>> > https://forums.pvpgn.pro/misc.php?action=pan_download&item=17&download=1
>> >

>> > Output from vswhere.exe shows that Visual Studio is installed on disk
>> > C:\
>> > (https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere)
>> >
>> > Visual Studio Locator, version 1.0.58
>> > Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>> >
>> > instanceId: 3a7dda28
>> > installDate: 23.11.2016
>> > installationName: VisualStudio/15.0.0+26228.9
>> > installationPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
>> > Studio\2017\Community
>> > installationVersion: 15.0.26228.9
>> > displayName: Visual Studio Community 2017
>> > разработки
>> > для
>> >  учащихся, разработчиков решений с открытым кодом и индивидуальных
>> > разработчиков
>> >
>> > enginePath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
>> > Studio\Installer\resources\a
>> > pp\ServiceHub\Services\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service
>> > channelId: VisualStudio.15.Release
>> > channelPath:
>> > C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\_Channe
>> > ls\4CB340F5\catalog.json
>> > channelUri: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/channel
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com
>> >
>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at:
>> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>> >
>> > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more
>> > information on each offering, please visit:
>> >
>> > CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
>> > CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
>> > CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Re: Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

Nils Gladitz-2
On 03/26/2017 11:01 AM, HarpyWar wrote:

> Output from vswhere.exe shows that Visual Studio is installed on disk C:\
> (https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere)

Perhaps also try:

     vswhere -requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.x86.x64
-requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK

I think those are the default components CMake might expect when looking
for compatible installations.

Nils

Re: Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

Brad King
On 03/27/2017 09:35 AM, Robert Maynard wrote:
> So the real question is how did your compiler end up in the C drive
> and not the alternative drive like mine. Do you run the visual studio
> installer multiple times?

Did you have any of the VS 15 preview versions installed previously?

For reference, VS 2017 does not have any registry entries.  Instead
the VS installer tool provides a COM interface that applications must
use to ask for the location(s) of VS installations.  We do this in
cmVSSetupHelper [1].

-Brad

[1] https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/v3.8.0-rc3/Source/cmVSSetupHelper.cxx

Re: Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

HarpyWar
I did some tests on different Windows versions in virtual machines.
On a fresh Windows 10 (and installed Visual Studio 2017 Community) cmake works fine and a compiler is found.
But on earlier versions: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 - cmake always fails with error
"The CXX compiler identification is unknown"

So, the problem is not in different installation path, but in wrong method to find a compiler in earlier Windows.

Nils Gladitz, the command, which you proposed, return nothing, even on a machine where a compiler found:

On 03/28/2017 03:17 PM, HarpyWar wrote:

Nils Gladitz, the command, which you proposed, return nothing, even on a machine where a compiler found:
vswhere -requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.x86.x64 -requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK

For me it lists my "Visual Studio Community 2017" installation (on Windows 10).

If CMake works nonetheless perhaps you've got "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows81SDK" instead of "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Compone
nt.Windows10SDK" (which I think CMake falls back on).

And on the systems where it doesn't work perhaps you've got neither?

Nils

Re: Visual Studio 2017 could not be found if installed in non-default location

HarpyWar
"Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows81SDK" could not not be found anywhere.

A component "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.14393" exists on Windows 10 x64 (just found about it here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-community)

This component also exists on a virtual machine with Windows 8.1 x86 where cmake can not find the compiler.

vswhere -requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.x86.x64 -requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.14393
Visual Studio Locator, version 1.0.58

instanceId: 874fee78
installDate: 3/28/2017
installationName: VisualStudio/15.0.0+26228.9
installationPath: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community
installationVersion: 15.0.26228.9
displayName: Visual Studio Community 2017
evelopers
enginePath: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\Ser
viceHub\Services\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service
channelId: VisualStudio.15.Release
channelPath: C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\_Chann

On 03/28/2017 03:57 PM, HarpyWar wrote:

"Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows81SDK" could not not be found anywhere.

A component "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.14393" exists on Windows 10 x64 (just found about it here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-community)

This component also exists on a virtual machine with Windows 8.1 x86 where cmake can not find the compiler.

vswhere -requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.x86.x64 -requires Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.14393
Visual Studio Locator, version 1.0.58

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/master/Source/cmVSSetupHelper.cxx#L115 also seems to expect / accept those version suffixes.

Beyond that I can't think of anything other than debugging into cmVSSetupHelper.cxx.

Nils