Using CMake to compile non-standard languages

Using CMake to compile non-standard languages

Jakob van Bethlehem
Dear all,

Currently I'm trying to make a case to convert the pure makefile-based build environment at my company into cmake. This is a rather extensive build environment, which takes care of many things automatically through a whole set of internally created tools. I still believe we can do better with CMake, but I need to make a strong case.

The main problem is that we have (very old) code in an obsure languange called 'Ratfor'. How can I tell CMake how to compile files written in that language?

Sincerely,
Jakob van Bethlehem

Re: Using CMake to compile non-standard languages

Konstantin Tokarev

16.01.2018, 13:39, "Jakob van Bethlehem" <[hidden email]>:
> Dear all,
>
> Currently I'm trying to make a case to convert the pure makefile-based build environment at my company into cmake. This is a rather extensive build environment, which takes care of many things automatically through a whole set of internally created tools. I still believe we can do better with CMake, but I need to make a strong case.
>
> The main problem is that we have (very old) code in an obsure languange called 'Ratfor'. How can I tell CMake how to compile files written in that language?

1. Create variable with list of source files
2. Iterate through it in cycle and use add_custom_command for each file, defining compilation rule

Note that unlike Make, CMake doesn't have any counterpart of suffix or template user-defined rules, so you have to use cycles.

> Sincerely,
> Jakob van Bethlehem
>
> ,--

Konstantin