Unknown origin of compiler flag on Cray

Will Dicharry
Hi All,

I am experiencing a strange problem on Cray XT machines running CNL
compute nodes with the PGI compiler.

It appears that something is adding the flags "-Bstatic -Bdynamic" (in
that order) to the link line.  It looks like the Linux.cmake platform
module sets the the variable CMAKE_${type}_DYNAMIC_C_FLAGS to -Bdynamic.
   But that's the only reference to the flags that I can find anywhere
in the project.

The cache does not contain the flags, my list files do not contain the
flags, and as far as I can tell, none of the modules I am using add the
flags (the only modules I call are a custom exodus find module, a custom
netcdf find module, and the HDF5 find module I submitted earlier this
week).  Also, all of the libraries built by my projects and the
libraries found by cmake with find_package are static.

The flags are causing problems because we use the Cray provided wrapper
compilers, which add a few additional libraries to the link line, and
the ordering of the flags causes the linker to use the dynamic version
of some libraries, which is unsupported by the CNL compute nodes.

Has anyone seen something like this before, or does anyone have any
suggestions on where else I should look to find the culprit?

Thanks,
--Will

--
Will Dicharry
Software Developer

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Unknown origin of compiler flag on Cray

Alexander Neundorf-3
On Thursday 27 August 2009, Will Dicharry wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am experiencing a strange problem on Cray XT machines running CNL
> compute nodes with the PGI compiler.
>
> It appears that something is adding the flags "-Bstatic -Bdynamic" (in
> that order) to the link line.  It looks like the Linux.cmake platform
> module sets the the variable CMAKE_${type}_DYNAMIC_C_FLAGS to -Bdynamic.
>    But that's the only reference to the flags that I can find anywhere
> in the project.

Linux.cmake also adds the Bstatic (at least with CVS head).
I didn't try, can you just change these variables ?

> The cache does not contain the flags, my list files do not contain the
> flags, and as far as I can tell, none of the modules I am using add the
> flags (the only modules I call are a custom exodus find module, a custom
> netcdf find module, and the HDF5 find module I submitted earlier this
> week).  Also, all of the libraries built by my projects and the
> libraries found by cmake with find_package are static.
>
> The flags are causing problems because we use the Cray provided wrapper
> compilers, which add a few additional libraries to the link line, and

I think you don't have to use these compiler wrappers, it should work if you
use the plain compiler (worked for me).

Alex