Unexpected recompilation with ctest compiled MSVC project

Unexpected recompilation with ctest compiled MSVC project

Simon Rit
Hello,
I'm happily using ctest to test my project:
http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=RTK
One feature that I like is that if a problem appears with one config, I can easily try to modify the sources and then run make in the nightly built directory, only the object that failed to compile and object files impacted by the changes will be (re-)compiled. This works perfectly under linux with makefiles.
However, the behavior is not the same under MSVC and since I am not used to this IDE, I'd like some explanation. When I have a problem with a compilation and I open the nightly configured MSVC project in the IDE, then everything is recompiled, including those files that compiled without any issue. Is this an expected behavior and, if yes, is there any way to recompile only what has failed, as I am used too under linux?
I hope this is clear (enough). Thanks,
Simon

Re: Unexpected recompilation with ctest compiled MSVC project

Kris Thielemans-2

Hi Simon

It definitely isn’t expected behaviour. MSVC should do exactly the same. It seems to point to a problem in your CMake files or elsewhere. Does the same thing happen if you just build immediately? Obviously, you shouldn’t do “rebuild” but just “build”.

I haven’t checked RTK. Sorry.

Kris

Re: Unexpected recompilation with ctest compiled MSVC project

Simon Rit
Hi,
If I do two consecutive builds with the same project, then it does not recompile the second time, no. It behaves as if something is different (a flag or something else) between the command line ctest build and the build in the gui.
Simon