Ubuntu package versioning

<Alexander G. Riccio>
I'm not sure who maintains the Ubuntu cmake package, but I *just* installed it, and cmake --version reported 3.5.1... a little bit out of date.

Sincerely,
Alexander Riccio

Re: Ubuntu package versioning

Alan W. Irwin
On 2017-12-18 19:14-0500 <Alexander G. Riccio> wrote:

> I'm not sure who maintains the Ubuntu cmake package, but I *just* installed
> it, and cmake --version reported 3.5.1... a little bit out of date.

If you look at
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=cmake&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all>
the various Ubuntu distribution versions called xenial, zesty, artful, and
bionic provide respectively CMake versions 3.5.1, 3.7.2, 3.9.1, and
3.9.5.  And similar situations occur for all other Linux distros.

So if you upgrade to a later Ubuntu version you will automatically get
access to a later CMake version. But such upgrades are non-trivial so a
compromise that allows you to delay doing such an upgrade for a while
would be to build and use a newer version of CMake yourself.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science
__________________________

Re: Ubuntu package versioning

Raymond Wan-2
Hi Alexander,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Alan W. Irwin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-12-18 19:14-0500 <Alexander G. Riccio> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure who maintains the Ubuntu cmake package, but I *just*
>> installed
>> it, and cmake --version reported 3.5.1... a little bit out of date.
>

> If you look at
> <https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=cmake&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all>
> the various Ubuntu distribution versions called xenial, zesty, artful, and
> bionic provide respectively CMake versions 3.5.1, 3.7.2, 3.9.1, and
> 3.9.5.  And similar situations occur for all other Linux distros.
>
> So if you upgrade to a later Ubuntu version you will automatically get
> access to a later CMake version. But such upgrades are non-trivial so a
> compromise that allows you to delay doing such an upgrade for a while
> would be to build and use a newer version of CMake yourself.

In addition to what Alan said, another alternative to compiling it
yourself is to install Anaconda into your home directory and then to
install cmake from that.  For example, you can see here what is
available to you:  https://anaconda.org/search?q=cmake

Ray

Re: Ubuntu package versioning

<Alexander G. Riccio>
Uggh, it's an LTS thing? Yeah, well then it's my fault entirely. Maybe I shouldn't've gone for the LTS install.

And yeah, I've already installed the most recent version.