Quantcast

Trouble with FindPNG module

Robert Dailey-2
I'm running CMake 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 14. I invoke the following:

find_package(PNG REQUIRED)

Which gives me the output in CMake:

Could NOT find PNG (missing: PNG_LIBRARY) (found version "1.2.50")

The CMakeCache.txt file has these variables set:

PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG-NOTFOUND
PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include

So it found the headers, but not the libs. Why did it not find the
libs? Note that my version of Ubuntu is 64-bit, and I've installed the
32-bit libs like so:

$ sudo apt-get install libpng12-dev:i386

Would the find module be confused because it is trying to find the
64-bit library? What's the issue?

Re: Trouble with FindPNG module

Robert Dailey-2
Sorry to bump; any info on this? I'm completely blocked :-(

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running CMake 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 14. I invoke the following:
>
> find_package(PNG REQUIRED)
>
> Which gives me the output in CMake:
>
> Could NOT find PNG (missing: PNG_LIBRARY) (found version "1.2.50")
>
> The CMakeCache.txt file has these variables set:
>
> PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG-NOTFOUND
> PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
> PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include
>
> So it found the headers, but not the libs. Why did it not find the
> libs? Note that my version of Ubuntu is 64-bit, and I've installed the
> 32-bit libs like so:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install libpng12-dev:i386
>
> Would the find module be confused because it is trying to find the
> 64-bit library? What's the issue?

Re: [cmake-developers] Trouble with FindPNG module

Ben Boeckel-2
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 09:54:18 -0500, Robert Dailey wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm running CMake 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 14. I invoke the following:
> >
> > find_package(PNG REQUIRED)
> >
> > Which gives me the output in CMake:
> >
> > Could NOT find PNG (missing: PNG_LIBRARY) (found version "1.2.50")
> >
> > The CMakeCache.txt file has these variables set:
> >
> > PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG-NOTFOUND
> > PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
> > PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include
> >
> > So it found the headers, but not the libs. Why did it not find the
> > libs? Note that my version of Ubuntu is 64-bit, and I've installed the
> > 32-bit libs like so:
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install libpng12-dev:i386

What compiler are you using (what does CMake say it is?)? Does an
`strace` of CMake configuring the project show anything interesting?
`cmake --trace-expand`?

--Ben

Re: Trouble with FindPNG module

Andrew Fuller-2

Where did the library get installed on your system?  What's the value of CMAKE_<LANG>_LIBRARY_ARCHITECTURE?

Since you're on a 64-bit system, I'd expect CMake to be looking for 64-bit libraries unless you've told it otherwise.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 09:54:18 -0500, Robert Dailey wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I'm running CMake 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 14. I invoke the following:
>> >
>> > find_package(PNG REQUIRED)
>> >
>> > Which gives me the output in CMake:
>> >
>> > Could NOT find PNG (missing: PNG_LIBRARY) (found version "1.2.50")
>> >
>> > The CMakeCache.txt file has these variables set:
>> >
>> > PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_DEBUG-NOTFOUND
>> > PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE:FILEPATH=PNG_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
>> > PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include
>> >
>> > So it found the headers, but not the libs. Why did it not find the
>> > libs? Note that my version of Ubuntu is 64-bit, and I've installed the
>> > 32-bit libs like so:
>> >
>> > $ sudo apt-get install libpng12-dev:i386
>
> What compiler are you using (what does CMake say it is?)? Does an
> `strace` of CMake configuring the project show anything interesting?
> `cmake --trace-expand`?

It's using Gcc 4.9 because I told it to via toolchain file:

-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc-4.9
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc-4.9 -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++-4.9
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++-4.9 -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done

Via the following toolchain file contents:

set( CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Linux )
set( CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION 1 )
set( CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR "i686" )
set( CMAKE_C_COMPILER gcc-4.9 )
set( CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER g++-4.9 )
set( CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -m32" )
set( CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_C_FLAGS} -m32" )

I'm not sure how to use strace. I tried following instructions I found
on the [CMake Performance Tips][1] page, but this isn't working. My
generate command has a lot of options, so I use a helper shell script
to generate. strace seems to not work well when using a shell script.
Trace also doesn't show much useful. Could you give exact command line
I can run to get the info you need?

Where possible, I install everything via apt-get for the 4.9
toolchain. For libpng this was not an option as far as I could tell,
so I'm not sure what implications that has on find_package() behavior.

Re: Trouble with FindPNG module

Robert Dailey-2
The output is:

x86_64-linux-gnu

How can I tell CMake to look for 32-bit libraries? I would like to
force this from my toolchain file (which I posted a few minutes ago)

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:16 AM, Andrew Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where did the library get installed on your system?  What's the value of
> CMAKE_<LANG>_LIBRARY_ARCHITECTURE?
>

> Since you're on a 64-bit system, I'd expect CMake to be looking for 64-bit
> libraries unless you've told it otherwise.
>
> ________________________________

Interestingly, the changes to my toolchain made below work:

set( CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Linux )
set( CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION 1 )
set( CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR i386 )
set( CMAKE_C_COMPILER gcc-4.9 )
set( CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER g++-4.9 )
set( CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ARG1 -m32 )
set( CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ARG1 -m32 )

The only change here is that I'm using CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ARG1 and
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ARG1. These are not documented anywhere. I only
found out about them from a post from Bill Hoffman (which I have lost
the URL to).

Is this the correct toolchain? At least find_package() is properly
finding 32-bit libraries now, so I am happy. Should
CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR be i386 or i686?

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Robert Dailey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The output is:
>
> x86_64-linux-gnu
>
> How can I tell CMake to look for 32-bit libraries? I would like to
> force this from my toolchain file (which I posted a few minutes ago)
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:16 AM, Andrew Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Where did the library get installed on your system?  What's the value of
>> CMAKE_<LANG>_LIBRARY_ARCHITECTURE?
>>

>> Since you're on a 64-bit system, I'd expect CMake to be looking for 64-bit
>> libraries unless you've told it otherwise.
>>
>> ________________________________

Try adding this to your toolchain file:

set( CMAKE_C_LIBRARY_ARCHITECTURE "i386-linux-gnu" )

set( CMAKE_CXX_LIBRARY_ARCHITECTURE "i386-linux-gnu" )

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:20:27 -0500, Robert Dailey wrote:

> -- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.9.4
> -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.9.4
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc-4.9
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc-4.9 -- works
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
> -- Detecting C compile features
> -- Detecting C compile features - done
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++-4.9
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++-4.9 -- works
> -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
> -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
> -- Detecting CXX compile features
> -- Detecting CXX compile features - done

Does the information in the CMakeFiles/$cmake_version directory contain
anything indicating that it's detecting the compiler as 64-bit?

> I'm not sure how to use strace. I tried following instructions I found
> on the [CMake Performance Tips][1] page, but this isn't working. My
> generate command has a lot of options, so I use a helper shell script
> to generate. strace seems to not work well when using a shell script.
> Trace also doesn't show much useful. Could you give exact command line
> I can run to get the info you need?

Sorry, it's such a common tool I use, I forget others are new to it :) .
Here's how I'd use it to debug this:

    strace -s 10000 -e file -o cmake.strace.log $cmake_command

If your cmake command is a script that later launches CMake, you can
give strace `-f` to have it also trace any child processes made by the
command. In the resulting log file, you'll see syscalls CMake is making.
searching for the png header/library searching area shouldn't be too
hard. Is it looking in anything resembling the right paths?

--Ben

Building with cmake 3.6.2 need 3.7.2 or newer!!

Chris Russo
Greetings-

Well this should be simple right? I have Windows 10 64 bit. Visual
Studio Community 2015. It shows that my version on a certain build is
cmake 3.6.2. I have tried to download the latest and greatest set the
path and no luck.

where is, which, find, search looking all over the file system I cannot
find cmake 3.6.2 at all. I am trying to figure out what application
actually installed cmake 3.6.2 and I cannot figure it out. I haven't
looked into regedit.exe because I just thought I should reach out to the
experts on this issue.

So the real question here is. Maybe I don't really care about where
cmake 3.6.2 lives. I would just like to upgrade to 3.7.2 or later. Set
the path as the installer does and use Git Bash shell to invoke cmake
3.7.2 or greater.

Could you please tell me my simplest option. I hope my cmake isn't on
your system. If you know what I mean. LOL!!

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want to
see where is, or which from Git Bash Shell I will be mre than happy to
provide it.

Regards-

Chris Russo

Re: Building with cmake 3.6.2 need 3.7.2 or newer!!

Chris Russo