Quantcast

Tracing ctest crash on windows

Aaron Boxer
Hello,
I am on windows, with visual studio 2015.
Some of my ctest tests are crashing with exception.
Is there a way of debugging these tests ?

When I run in debug mode, I get an exception dialog,
but can't drop into debugging environment.

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: Tracing ctest crash on windows

Jakob van Bethlehem
Hej,

CTest is not some magical tool that internally runs your test or something like that - instead CTest just fires up your test executable and does clever things with the output. In the same way you can just set your test project as startup-project, and debug it like any other executable.

Sincerely,
Jakob

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Aaron Boxer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I am on windows, with visual studio 2015.
Some of my ctest tests are crashing with exception.
Is there a way of debugging these tests ?

When I run in debug mode, I get an exception dialog,
but can't drop into debugging environment.

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: Tracing ctest crash on windows

Bill Hoffman
On 1/5/2017 9:32 AM, Jakob van Bethlehem wrote:

> CTest is not some magical tool that internally runs your test or
> something like that - instead CTest just fires up your test executable
> and does clever things with the output. In the same way you can just set
> your test project as startup-project, and debug it like any other
> executable.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jakob
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Aaron Boxer <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>     I am on windows, with visual studio 2015.
>     Some of my ctest tests are crashing with exception.
>     Is there a way of debugging these tests ?
>
>     When I run in debug mode, I get an exception dialog,
>     but can't drop into debugging environment.
If you run ctest -VV it will show the full command line.  Best way is to
just run the same command in the debugger.

-Bill

Re: Tracing ctest crash on windows

Stuermer, Michael  SP/HZA-ZSEP

Hallo Aaron,

if you’d like to have the full luxury of visual studio with test explorer and running/debugging tests directly as you can do it with other .NET based tests etc. you can try these extensions:

-          child process debugging power tools (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=GreggMiskelly.MicrosoftChildProcessDebuggingPowerTool)

-          ctesttestadapter (https://github.com/micst/CTestTestAdapter/tree/master/dist)

For debugging tests you need both extensions: the first for hooking on the process that is launched by ctest.exe, the second for actual ctest integration in visual studio.

Compared to running your binary test-targets directly you will gain the advantage that you do not have to modify and debugging command line, you have all tests listed in a explorer windows with easy access and you get all verbose messages from ctest in the test explorer as well.

The VSIX extension is a fork from https://github.com/toeb/CTestTestAdapter with some changes and bugfixes. It's not tested very well but I use it every day and it works for me. Do not use the "ctesttestadapter" you can find directly in visual studio, it does not work with latest cmake.

CAUTION: If you use the cmaketools extension (http://cmaketools.codeplex.com) in Visual Studio, the link to the test location in the test explorer does not work (double clicking on a test will show some "could open file location" error). This does not break the test adapter, opening the CTestTestfile.cmake is just not possible from within Visual Studio.

Michael