Swift Makefile/Ninja generator: trying to bring up to date

Swift Makefile/Ninja generator: trying to bring up to date

Eric Wing
Hi, I know it’s been awhile since I last posted anything about this.
Since my last post, I had quietly added to the Ninja backend to bring
it to par with the initial work I did on the Makefile generator. This
was partly done because I was trying to get compatibility with Android
which uses the CMake/Ninja generator.

Anyway, the CMake/Android support has come a long way in the past
year. I see that there is now even a way to specify an external CMake
in local.properties as long as it is 3.7 (or greater I presume).

I really need to be leveraging all the new support in Android Studio,
so I need to update my version of CMake. Unfortunately, my Swift work
started before 3.7, and I just tried a merge with the latest, but the
merge went very badly. It looks like cmLocalGenerator.cxx has been
significantly rewritten in passing time, and I am no longer certain
how to integrate my original changes.

Can some of you CMake guru’s clue me in on how I should change my
original patch to now work with the current CMake source? Is
cmLocalGenerator.cxx my only problem, or are there other architectural
changes I need to be aware of to make all the other changes in other
files also work?

There are 10 small commits I made in a separate branch for my original
change, which can be seen at the top of the page at GitHub:
https://github.com/ewmailing/CMake/commits/SwiftMakefile

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Swift Makefile/Ninja generator: trying to bring up to date

Brad King
On 03/12/2018 12:13 AM, Eric Wing wrote:
> There are 10 small commits I made in a separate branch for my original
> change, which can be seen at the top of the page at GitHub:
> https://github.com/ewmailing/CMake/commits/SwiftMakefile

As of commit 6c296b3e208dbb4319f396fdfb751206cff1abe0 on that branch,
your topic is based on a version of CMake `master` from Jan 2016.
A lot of major refactoring has been done since then, including some
migration toward cmState in an effort to separate the codemodel
representation from the CMake language and the generators.

Your patches don't look too big.  You'll just have to find the new
places for them.

-Brad