Spaces in var=value list in *_command

Andrew Brownsword
I’m using the externalproject_add command to build a non-cmake project.  To the build I am passing CXXFLAGS=value, but I cannot manage to get any spaces into the value no matter how I quote, use variables, use escapes, etc.  Searching turns up other people with the same problem and no particularly good solutions.  One example was to use cmake_command -E echo to create a wrapper script that contains the desired string, however this isn’t working for me either (its seems to behave as if the cmake_command variable is empty or undefined).  This seems WAY harder than it should be...

Re: Spaces in var=value list in *_command

Robert Maynard
Are you trying to construct a BUILD_COMMAND line that looks like CXXFLAGS=-g -02 -w && ./configure?

If so, you should be able to do that with the CMake -E env command option like this ( Starting in CMake 3.1 ):

set(cxx_flags "-g -O2 -w")
set(command_to_run ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E environment)
ExternalProject_Add(MyProject
   DOWNLOAD_COMMAND ""
   CONFIGURE_COMMAND ""
   BUILD_COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E env CXXFLAGS=${cxx_flags} ${command_to_run}
   )