Setting up weekly tests using ctest

Martin Apel
Hi there,

I am currently running nightly builds and accompanying tests using CMake
and CDash. However, our software is rather computationally expensive, so
we'd like to perform more extensive tests every weekend, because one
night is too short for these. I only found documentation on setting up
nightly, experimental and continuous builds (and tests), but not
arbitrary, e.g. weekly tests. I tried to explicitly set the --track
option of ctest to "Weekly", which succeeded, but the tests didn't show
up in CDash. Can anybody tell me, how to set up tests
for weekly intervals?

Martin

____________
Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirus
Version: AVA 19.6409 from 10.07.2009

Re: [Cdash] Setting up weekly tests using ctest

Martin Apel
Hi Dan,

that's what we do for nightly tests as well. The problem is more: How do I tell CTest to submit tests to a separate "weekly" track and have them visible in CDash separated from the nightly tests?

Martin

Dan Schmidt wrote:
Hey Martin,

How about scheduling the type of test that you'd like to run with the OS scheduler. We run tests every couple of hours and do it with the Unix crontab and the Windows task scheduler.

------
Dan

check out the rest of the Windows Live™. More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox. <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="avk-blocked://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/" target="_new">More than messages

--
Martin Apel                                     Tel:     0049 8153 9288-47
Software Architect                              E-Mail:  [hidden email]

INTEC GmbH                                      Tel:     0049 8153 9288-0
Argelsrieder Feld 13                            Fax:     0049 8153 9288-11
82234 Wessling                                  E-Mail:  [hidden email]
Germany                                         URL:     http://www.simpack.com

____________
Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirus
Version: AVA 19.6410 from 10.07.2009

Re: [Cdash] Setting up weekly tests using ctest

David Cole
Make a "Weekly" build group for your CDash project. Name your builds according to some naming convention that makes sense to you (distinct/unique compared to the "Nightly" builds), and then simply assign those build names from those sites to the "Weekly" group.

Let me know if you need more info : it should be really straightforward if you are the CDash project administrator.

HTH,
David

Dan Schmidt wrote:
Hey Martin,

How about scheduling the type of test that you'd like to run with the OS scheduler. We run tests every couple of hours and do it with the Unix crontab and the Windows task scheduler.

------
Dan

> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:46:13 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: [Cdash] Setting up weekly tests using ctest
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am currently running nightly builds and accompanying tests using CMake
> and CDash. However, our software is rather computationally expensive, so
> we'd like to perform more extensive tests every weekend, because one
> night is too short for these. I only found documentation on setting up
> nightly, experimental and continuous builds (and tests), but not
> arbitrary, e.g. weekly tests. I tried to explicitly set the --track
> option of ctest to "Weekly", which succeeded, but the tests didn't show
> up in CDash. Can anybody tell me, how to set up tests
> for weekly intervals?
>
> Martin

check out the rest of the Windows Live™. More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox. More than messages

--
Martin Apel                                     Tel:     0049 8153 9288-47
Software Architect                              E-Mail:  [hidden email]

INTEC GmbH                                      Tel:     0049 8153 9288-0
Argelsrieder Feld 13                            Fax:     0049 8153 9288-11
82234 Wessling                                  E-Mail:  [hidden email]
Germany                                         URL:     http://www.simpack.com

____________
Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirus
Version: AVA 19.6410 from 10.07.2009

Re: [Cdash] Setting up weekly tests using ctest

Martin Apel
Hi David,

I tried this out, it works like a charm. So easy!

Thanks a lot.

Martin

Dan Schmidt wrote:
Hey Martin,

How about scheduling the type of test that you'd like to run with the OS scheduler. We run tests every couple of hours and do it with the Unix crontab and the Windows task scheduler.

------
Dan

> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:46:13 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: [Cdash] Setting up weekly tests using ctest
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am currently running nightly builds and accompanying tests using CMake
> and CDash. However, our software is rather computationally expensive, so
> we'd like to perform more extensive tests every weekend, because one
> night is too short for these. I only found documentation on setting up
> nightly, experimental and continuous builds (and tests), but not
> arbitrary, e.g. weekly tests. I tried to explicitly set the --track
> option of ctest to "Weekly", which succeeded, but the tests didn't show
> up in CDash. Can anybody tell me, how to set up tests
> for weekly intervals?
>
> Martin

check out the rest of the Windows Live™. More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox. More than messages

--
Martin Apel                                     Tel:     0049 8153 9288-47
Software Architect                              E-Mail:  [hidden email]

INTEC GmbH                                      Tel:     0049 8153 9288-0
Argelsrieder Feld 13                            Fax:     0049 8153 9288-11
82234 Wessling                                  E-Mail:  [hidden email]
Germany                                         URL:     <a
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="avk-blocked://www.simpack.com"
 target="_blank">http://www.simpack.com