Segger Embedded Studio generator

Dushara Jayasinghe-2
Hi all,

I'm working on an embedded project where I'd like to use use cmake
as the build system. At the same time, the Segger Embedded Studio IDE
seems to have decent support for the target I'm working on (nice
integration with toolchains as well as the JLink debugger). The
downside with this tool is, it has its own XML based project format and
doesn't support CMake or even Makefile based projects. So I was wondering
if there's generator out there for this IDE?

If not, I was thinking of creating a target rule to generate "an
externally built project" referring to the binary generated by Ninja.
Is this a good way to go about it?

According to the seven year old SO answer here (https://stackoverflow.com/a/8314627),
custom generators require changing the cmake sources. Is this still the case?

Thanks.

Dushara

Re: Segger Embedded Studio generator

Kyle Edwards
On Tue, 2019-07-30 at 15:39 +1000, Dushara Jayasinghe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on an embedded project where I'd like to use use cmake
> as the build system. At the same time, the Segger Embedded Studio IDE
> seems to have decent support for the target I'm working on (nice
> integration with toolchains as well as the JLink debugger). The
> downside with this tool is, it has its own XML based project format
> and
> doesn't support CMake or even Makefile based projects. So I was
> wondering
> if there's generator out there for this IDE?
>
> If not, I was thinking of creating a target rule to generate "anĀ
> externally built project" referring to the binary generated by Ninja.
> Is this a good way to go about it?
>
> According to the seven year old SO answer here (https://stackoverflow
> .com/a/8314627),
> custom generators require changing the cmake sources. Is this still
> the case?

Yes, new generators have to be written in CMake's C++ code.

Kyle