[SOLVED] RE: Crosscompilation woes

Robert Bielik-4

For reference: I went with Brads suggestion: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/16356

which seems to be working fine.

Regards

/R

From: CMake [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Robert Bielik
Sent: den 10 oktober 2016 14:00
To: Craig Scott <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [CMake] Crosscompilation woes

I am using a toolchain file! The CC and CXX environment variables are set by CMake (I assume, because I haven’t touched them).

I’ll disect the link to see what I’ve missed.

Regards

/R

Re: [SOLVED] RE: Crosscompilation woes

Chuck Atkins
In VTK and ParaView we use a manual two-step build.  The first pass configures a host build of the cross-compile utilities and the second pass configures a target build with a toolchain file, which requires you tell it where the host tools are.  So the build process looks like this:

mkdir build_host
cd build_host
cmake -DBUILD_CROSSTOOLS=ON /path/to/source
make
cd ..
mkdir build_target
cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/path/to/tolchain.cmake -DFOO_CROSSTOOLS_DIR=/path/to/build_host
make

You should be able to adapt this to a superbuild scenario with two external projects and it seems like that's exactly what you've done.  Just confirming that yes that's a sane approach and that's how we do it to.

----------
Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Robert Bielik <[hidden email]> wrote:

For reference: I went with Brads suggestion: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/16356

which seems to be working fine.

Regards

/R

Re: [SOLVED] RE: Crosscompilation woes

Robert Bielik-4

Thanks Chuck,

It now actually is a one step automatic build, where the CMake initial pass creates the host tools, sets up CMake cache vars for them, then when the CMake step is finished I can just run make and it all works out fine.

The key issue was unsetting CC and CXX env vars during the creation of the cmake files for the host tools, so that the native build system was being used.

All the best

/Robert