Re: problem with add_custom command

Brian Davis-2
So I found this thread below and tried the command at the promp (Win7):

cmake -E tar xvf

CMake Error: Problem with tar_open(): No such file or directory
CMake Error: Problem extracting tar: ${TARDIR}/mytar.tar

cmake -E tar xvf openssl-0.9.8a.tar

CMake Error: Problem with tar_open(): No such file or directory
CMake Error: Problem extracting tar: openssl-0.9.8a.tar

so I do a:

CMake Error: cmake version 2.8.0
Usage: cmake -E [command] [arguments ...]
Available commands:
  chdir dir cmd [args]...   - run command in a given directory
  rename oldname newname    - rename a file or directory (on one volume)
  copy file destination     - copy file to destination (either file or directory)
  copy_if_different in-file out-file  - copy file if input has changed
  copy_directory source destination   - copy directory 'source' content to directory 'destination'
  compare_files file1 file2 - check if file1 is same as file2
  echo [string]...          - displays arguments as text
  echo_append [string]...   - displays arguments as text but no new line
  environment               - display the current enviroment
  make_directory dir        - create a directory
  md5sum file1 [...]        - compute md5sum of files
  remove_directory dir      - remove a directory and its contents
  remove [-f] file1 file2 ... - remove the file(s), use -f to force it
  tar [cxt][vfz] file.tar file/dir1 file/dir2 ... - create a tar archive
  time command [args] ...   - run command and return elapsed time
  touch file                - touch a file.
  touch_nocreate file       - touch a file but do not create it.
  build build_dir           - build the project in build_dir.
  write_regv key value      - write registry value
  delete_regv key           - delete registry value
  comspec                   - on windows 9x use this for RunCommand

And I pay particular attention to

  tar [cxt][vfz] file.tar file/dir1 file/dir2 ... - create a tar archive

and notice no xvf option.

Is tar xvf implemnted?

If so why tar and no untar?  Curious.

Brian

On 25. Mar, 2009, at 10:28, ankit jain wrote:

2009/3/25 Michael Wild [hidden email]

On 25. Mar, 2009, at 9:33, ankit jain wrote:

2009/3/25 Michael Wild [hidden email]

[...]

What I usually do is this:

add_custom_command( OUTPUT ${TARDIR}/t1
COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E tar xvf ${TARDIR}/mytar.tar
WORKING_DIRECTORY ${TARDIR}
COMMENT "Extracting ${TARDIR}/mytar.tar"
VERBATIM
)

add_custom_target( extract_mytar
DEPENDS ${TARDIR}/t1
)

This tells CMake how to obtain the file ${TARDIR}/t1 by unpacking
mytar.tar. Then it adds a target which depends on that file. You then can
have other targets depend on that by using add_dependencies.

Thanks for your suggestions it works but the problem is that iam making a
library which requires some source files which will come after extracting
it
from tar.

In that making an custom target for it and then add_dependencies to that
library to this custom build target does not solve the purpose.

then how to include those files which is required by the library which
came
from tar.

if you add all the files from the tar archive to the OUTPUT list of
add_custom_command, CMake should automatically set the GENERATED property of
those file to TRUE. If you don't want to do that, you still can set that
property manually, using e.g.:

set_source_files_properties( ${TARDIR}/t1 ${TARDIR}/t2 PROPERTIES GENERATED
TRUE )

you then can use those files in a normal add_library or add_executable
command. if you use the first approach (listing all files in the OUTPUT
list), you don't even need the custom target, since CMake then will know how
to "create" these files (by invoking the custom command).

Is there any way by which we just give the name of folder where files has
extracted and add_library command will take it by some means it is becoz if
we dont know what files will be genrated inside that folder or if there are
large no.of files then listing them in OUTPUT is really cumbersome..

ankit

you could use

execute_process(
  COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E tar tf ${TARDIR}/mytar.tar
  OUTPUT_VARIABLE tar_files
  )

to get a list of files contained in the tar file. However, I don't recommend this. It is much safer to really write the files out. If it hurts your eyes to put it in the CMakeLists.txt file, you can put the list in e.g. a file called files.cmake and INCLUDE that one from your CMakeLists.txt.

DON'T use file(GLOB ...) or similar. That's a pretty bad idea...

Michael

Brian J. Davis

Re: problem with add_custom command

David Cole
"cmake -E tar xvf" is implemented...

Does this happen with other tar files, or just that one?

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Brian Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Wild
Works fine for me on my Mac. Can't help with Windows 7 (or rather,
6.1, but then the marketing guys at MS probably figured to round that
up to 7... ;-)) as I don't have access to it.

$ mkdir test
$ echo "Hello World" > test/hello.txt
$ cmake -E tar cvf test.tar test
drwxr-xr-x mwild    staff            0 Nov 25 12:58 2009 test/
-rw-r--r-- mwild    staff           12 Nov 25 12:58 2009 test/hello.txt
$ rm -rf test
$ cmake -E tar xvf test.tar
drwxr-xr-x mwild    staff            0 Nov 25 12:58 2009 test/
-rw-r--r-- mwild    staff           12 Nov 25 12:58 2009 test/hello.txt
$ cat test/hello.txt
Hello World

Michael

On 25. Nov, 2009, at 5:07 , Brian Davis wrote:

> [...]
> we dont know what files will be genrated inside that folder or if
> there are
> large no.of files then listing them in OUTPUT is really cumbersome..
>

> ankit
>

> you could use
>
> execute_process(
>  COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E tar tf ${TARDIR}/mytar.tar
>  OUTPUT_VARIABLE tar_files
>  )
>
> to get a list of files contained in the tar file. However, I don't
> recommend
> this. It is much safer to really write the files out. If it hurts
> your eyes
> to put it in the CMakeLists.txt file, you can put the list in e.g. a
> file
> called files.cmake and INCLUDE that one from your CMakeLists.txt.
>
> DON'T use file(GLOB ...) or similar. That's a pretty bad idea...

If you'd read on, you would see that I first CREATE a tar file, then
EXTRACT it and then show that the contents have been restored.

Michael

On 25. Nov, 2009, at 14:56 , Brian J. Davis wrote:

> [...]
>>> <[hidden email]><[hidden email]
>>> >

>>> [...]
>>>

>>> What I usually do is this:
>>>
>>> add_custom_command( OUTPUT ${TARDIR}/t1
>>> COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E tar xvf ${TARDIR}/mytar.tar
>>> WORKING_DIRECTORY ${TARDIR}
>>> COMMENT "Extracting ${TARDIR}/mytar.tar"
>>> VERBATIM
>>> )
>>>
>>> add_custom_target( extract_mytar
>>> DEPENDS ${TARDIR}/t1
>>> )
>>>
>>> This tells CMake how to obtain the file ${TARDIR}/t1 by unpacking
>>> mytar.tar. Then it adds a target which depends on that file. You
>>> then can
>>> have other targets depend on that by using add_dependencies.
>>>

>>> Thanks for your suggestions it works but the problem is that iam
>>> making a
>>> library which requires some source files which will come after
>>> it
>>> from tar.
>>>
>>> In that making an custom target for it and then add_dependencies
>>> to that
>>> library to this custom build target does not solve the purpose.
>>>
>>> then how to include those files which is required by the library
>>> which
>>> came