Re: External Projects: just what are they?

Re: External Projects: just what are they?

Michael Powell
Hello,

I am trying to understand external projects. What are they? What kind
of support is there for them?

I found: https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.9/module/ExternalProject.html#command:externalproject_add

For instance.

I have a Git Submodule which I want to support. It represents a core
library that is essential for a wrapper piece. If I understand
correctly, technically it is an "external" project, but is there
support for Git Submodules? And how does that work exactly?

Ideally, I'd like to include the Submodule CMakeLists.txt from the
context of my wrapper piece, but is this even possible?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Michael Powell

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Michael Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand external projects. What are they? What kind
> of support is there for them?

Based on a couple of the blogs I read about it, I'm not sure this is
trying to do too much, but I could be wrong.

In my scenario, I simply have a Git Submodule committed to my
repository that I want to update, then include/invoke/etc its
CMakeLists as an "external project".

So at best, maybe I could invoke ExternalProject_Add with
GIT_SUBMODULES "${MYPROJ_SOURCE_DIR}/repos/mysubmod".

Or am I missing something?

Thoughts? Suggestions?