Re: CMake triggers Windows Defender

Petak, Jim

I’m wondering if anyone has followed up on the issue regarding cmake triggering Windows Defender using the MinGW compiler.  It’s a problem that I’m running into as well.

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by email by replying to the sender and delete this message. The sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included in any attachment.

Re: CMake triggers Windows Defender

Isaiah Norton
I don't know what the turn-around time is, but you and others might consider submitting the exe as a false positive:

(If you are blocked by this issue, try adding an exclusion rule: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender-antivirus)

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 2:27 PM Petak, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m wondering if anyone has followed up on the issue regarding cmake triggering Windows Defender using the MinGW compiler.  It’s a problem that I’m running into as well.

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by email by replying to the sender and delete this message. The sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included in any attachment.

Re: CMake triggers Windows Defender

Steve
I posted the following on 6/18/18, but failed to set the reply-to to include the cmake list server.

Thanks for replying.

After I posted to this list I wondered if it was an issue with MinGW. I hadn't had any issues with MinGW before but compiled a quick 'hello world' to check. Worked fine, no Windows Defender trigger.

'gcc --version' reported 6.3.0, but I went ahead and ran 'mingw-get update' and 'mingw-get upgrade' anyway. After upgrade CMake no longer triggered Windows Defender during the compiler identification phase.

So, false positive caused by older version of MinGW.

I tried to find the actual version of gcc before and after, but 'gcc --version' reported 6.3.0 for both. I found a web site that listed MinGW-w64 gcc releases as v5.0.3 2017-11-04 and v5.0.4 2018-06-04. I last updated MinGW December 2017, so it's likely I was running v5.0.3 and got lucky the latest update was 10 days before I started using CMake.

Thank you again Mr. King,

Steve