Question about INSTALL_COMMAND for ExternalProject_Add()

Question about INSTALL_COMMAND for ExternalProject_Add()

Steven Truppe
Hi everyone,

i've managed to use ExternalProject_Add to install GLFW but i have
troubles with glad...

Here is my code for GLFW wich is working:

include(ExternalProject)
ExternalProject_Add(GLFW
    PREFIX ${LIBDIR}/${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE}/glfw-log
    GIT_REPOSITORY https://github.com/glfw/glfw.git
    GIT_TAG 3.2.1
    SOURCE_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glfw
    UPDATE_COMMAND ""
    PATCH_COMMAND ""
    INSTALL_DIR ${LIBDIR}/glfw
    CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:String={CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE}
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${LIB_DIR}/glfw
)

Now i tried the same with GLAD but i had to add INSTALL_COMMAND to make
it work but i've no clue what i should enter there to install it the
same way i did with glfw..

ExternalProject_Add(GLAD
    PREFIX ${LIBDIR}/${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE}/glad-log
    GIT_REPOSITORY https://github.com/Dav1dde/glad.git
    GIT_TAG v0.1.29
    SOURCE_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glad
    UPDATE_COMMAND ""
    PATCH_COMMAND ""
    INSTALL_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE}/glad
    CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:String=${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE}
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${LIB_DIR}/glad
    INSTALL_COMMAND "??"
)

I hope someone can help me, i'm a bit clueless about this.

best regards!

pEpkey.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Question about INSTALL_COMMAND for ExternalProject_Add()

Steven Truppe

Now i've managed to create the right INSTALL_COMMAND but i don't know how to link with my executable. i tried

add_executable(MyApp ${src})

target_link_libraries(MyApp STATIC GLFW GLAD)

and i get the following error message:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:96 (target_link_libraries):
  Target "LIBGLAD" of type UTILITY may not be linked into another target.
  One may link only to INTERFACE, OBJECT, STATIC or SHARED libraries, or to
  executables with the ENABLE_EXPORTS property set.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:96 (target_link_libraries):
  Target "LIBGLFW" of type UTILITY may not be linked into another target.
  One may link only to INTERFACE, OBJECT, STATIC or SHARED libraries, or to
  executables with the ENABLE_EXPORTS property set.

target_link_libraries(M

On 10.03.19 10:40, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

I came a step forward, now it looks like this:

include(ExternalProject)
ExternalProject_Add(glfw3
    PREFIX ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glfw-log
    GIT_REPOSITORY https://github.com/glfw/glfw.git
    GIT_TAG 3.2.1
    SOURCE_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glfw
    UPDATE_COMMAND ""
    PATCH_COMMAND ""
    INSTALL_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glfw
    CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:String={CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE} -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${LIB_DIR}/glfw
)

ExternalProject_Add(glad
    PREFIX ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glad-log
    GIT_REPOSITORY https://github.com/Dav1dde/glad.git
    GIT_TAG v0.1.29
    SOURCE_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glad
    UPDATE_COMMAND ""
    PATCH_COMMAND ""
    INSTALL_DIR ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glad
    CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:String=${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE} -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${LIB_DIR}/glad -DGLAD_EXPORT=True -DGLAD_INSTALL=True
    CONFIGURE_COMMAND ${CMAKE_BUILD_DIR}/
    INSTALL_COMMAND
        COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glad-log/src/glad-build/libglad.a ${LIB_DIR}/glad/lib/libglad.a
        COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy_directory ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/glad-log/src/glad-build/include ${LIB_DIR}/glad/
)
find_package(glad REQUIRED)
find_package(glfw3 REQUIRED)
add_executable(Test01 source/test/Test01.cpp)
target_link_libraries(Test01 PRIVATE glad glfw3)

But now i've the following problem, i get the error message:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:95 (find_package):
  By not providing "Findglad.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "glad", but
  CMake did not find one.

  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "glad" with any of
  the following names:

    gladConfig.cmake
    glad-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "glad" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "glad_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "glad"
  provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been
  installed.

The problem is gladConfig.cmake is created after the configure procedure, how can i solve this issue ??

best regards!

On 10.03.19 11:44, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

I got the problem solved again, but now i'm stuck... now i've the following:

add_library(glad STATIC IMPORTED)
set_target_properties(glad PROPERTIES IMPORTED_LOCATION ${LIB_DIR}/glad/lib/libglad.a)

add_library(glfw3 STATIC IMPORTED)
set_target_properties(glfw3 PROPERTIES IMPORTED_LOCATION ${LIB_DIR}/glew/lib/libglfw3.a)

add_executable(Test01 source/test/Test01.cpp)
target_link_libraries(Test01 PRIVATE glad glfw3)

But now he can't find the header files which are also created after the configuration, how to solve this problem ??

I hope you see i put much effort in this and find most of the problems alone, i hope this time someone can help me out.

best regards!

On 10.03.19 12:38, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

I finally got it working, for other who might have the same problem:

You just have to use

ExternalProject_Add(ftgl-dl

add_executable(Test01 ${SRC})

add_dependencies(Test01 ftgl-dl)