PreprocessToFile

Kristian
Hi,

I have a Visual Studio 2015 Solution with some C++ projects in it. I
try to generate the same solution and the projects with CMake. Now,
there is a part, where I do not know how to solve this.

In a vcxproj file, there is something like this written:

=====
<ClCompile Include="abc.cpp">

  <PreprocessToFile Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Release|x64'">
    false
  </PreprocessToFile>

  <PreprocessKeepComments
Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Release|x64'">
    false
  <PreprocessKeepComments>
</ClCompile>
=====

So, now my question: Is it possible, to get the same result with CMake here?

Re: PreprocessToFile

J Decker

--

Yes; and you don't need to do anything; cmake doesn't preprocess to a file by default (or by any option I know of).
So what you have indicated... 'false' 'false' is what cmake generates.

Re: PreprocessToFile

Kristian

Oh, maybe you misunderstood me. I know, that CMake does no preprocessing. This is done by the preprocessor.

But, what I want, is that the generated solution/VS-project with CMake gives me the result like in the part I've pasted below. This should be part of the generated files. And my question is, is it possible to generate this and if, how?

=====
<ClCompile Include="abc.cpp">

<PreprocessToFile Condition="'$(Configuration)|(Platform)'=='Release|x64'">

false

</PreprocessToFile>

<PreprocessKeepComments Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Release|x64'">

false

<PreprocessKeepComments>

</ClCompile>

=====

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 9:57 AM, KK <[hidden email]> wrote:

Oh, maybe you misunderstood me. I know, that CMake does no preprocessing. This is done by the preprocessor.

Right; that's not what I was saying; it doesn't generte projects with preprocesssing enabled, so the options ARE false already in the generated projects.

But, what I want, is that the generated solution/VS-project with CMake gives me the result like in the part I've pasted below. This should be part of the generated files. And my question is, is it possible to generate this and if, how?

It does.
Oh I see, it doesn't actually write that out; but the default IS false... so it shouldn't have to.
I did some testing, and setting a project to preprocess to a file, it(visual studio)   writes <PreprocessToFile>true</PreprocessToFile>
If I reset that back to default/inhert from project; it deletes that entry entirely from the project.
So; unless you want it ENABLED correct behavior should be to not write it (which, like I said, cmake already does (or rather doesn't do))

=====