Platform dSPACE

Robin Verschueren
Dear CMake,

We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
(www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).

I was following the instructions on this wiki page, when I got the following warning,
when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:

System is unknown to cmake, create:

Platform/dSPACE to use this system, please send your config file to

[hidden email] so it can be added to cmake

We would be glad to send it to you when it is finished, but in the meantime,
we cannot debug our toolchain file because of above warning.

Is there a way of including it without having to include it in the official CMake
distribution? I tried setting CMAKE_MODULE_PATH but that did not help..

Best regards,
Robin

Re: Platform dSPACE

Martin Weber-2
Am Freitag, 23. Juni 2017, 19:47:32 CEST schrieb Robin Verschueren:

> Dear CMake,
>
> We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
> (www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
> use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).
>
> I was following the instructions on this wiki page
> <https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling>, when I got the following
> warning,
> when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:

Sounds like you will have to create a custom toolchain file.
Maybe this will help:
<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.7/manual/cmake-toolchains.7.html#id10>

Martin
--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Re: Platform dSPACE

Robin Verschueren
Dear Martin,

That's exactly what I'm doing. The trouble is that I want to use
set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME dSPACE)
or something similar. But then I get this warning that `dSPACE.cmake'
is not found in the `Platform' folder. My question was how to circumvent
this.

Best regards,
Robin

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 12:56 Martin Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Freitag, 23. Juni 2017, 19:47:32 CEST schrieb Robin Verschueren:
> Dear CMake,
>
> We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
> (www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
> use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).
>
> I was following the instructions on this wiki page
> <https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling>, when I got the following
> warning,
> when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:

Sounds like you will have to create a custom toolchain file.
Maybe this will help:
<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.7/manual/cmake-toolchains.7.html#id10>

Martin
--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Re: Platform dSPACE

Michael Ellery

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Robin Verschueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear CMake,
>
> We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
> (www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
> use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).
>
> I was following the instructions on this wiki page, when I got the following warning,
> when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:
>
> System is unknown to cmake, create:
> Platform/dSPACE to use this system, please send your config file to
> [hidden email] so it can be added to cmake
>
> We would be glad to send it to you when it is finished, but in the meantime,
> we cannot debug our toolchain file because of above warning.
>
> Is there a way of including it without having to include it in the official CMake
> distribution? I tried setting CMAKE_MODULE_PATH but that did not help..
>

> Best regards,
> Robin
> --

what happens if you set    -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=path/to/your/toolchain.cmake  when running cmake…does that give any different result?

Re: Platform dSPACE

Robin Verschueren
That's exactly what I did :)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 13:01 Michael Ellery <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Robin Verschueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear CMake,
>
> We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
> (www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
> use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).
>
> I was following the instructions on this wiki page, when I got the following warning,
> when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:
>
> System is unknown to cmake, create:
> Platform/dSPACE to use this system, please send your config file to
> [hidden email] so it can be added to cmake
>
> We would be glad to send it to you when it is finished, but in the meantime,
> we cannot debug our toolchain file because of above warning.
>
> Is there a way of including it without having to include it in the official CMake
> distribution? I tried setting CMAKE_MODULE_PATH but that did not help..
>

> Best regards,
> Robin
> --

what happens if you set    -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=path/to/your/toolchain.cmake  when running cmake…does that give any different result?

Re: Platform dSPACE

Michael Ellery

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 1:01 PM, Michael Ellery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Robin Verschueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear CMake,
>>
>> We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
>> (www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
>> use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).
>>
>> I was following the instructions on this wiki page, when I got the following warning,
>> when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:
>>
>> System is unknown to cmake, create:
>> Platform/dSPACE to use this system, please send your config file to
>> [hidden email] so it can be added to cmake
>>
>> We would be glad to send it to you when it is finished, but in the meantime,
>> we cannot debug our toolchain file because of above warning.
>>
>> Is there a way of including it without having to include it in the official CMake
>> distribution? I tried setting CMAKE_MODULE_PATH but that did not help..
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Robin
>> --
>
> what happens if you set    -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=path/to/your/toolchain.cmake  when running cmake…does that give any different result?

sorry - I misunderstood the nature of your error. I think this might be relevant:

    "If your target is an embedded system without OS set CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME to "Generic”.   “

Re: Platform dSPACE

Robin Verschueren
Thank you, that makes sense.

If I do that, how can I set specific settings for this Platform only? It seems that e.g.

set(CMAKE_INCLUDE_FLAG_C "-J")

in the Toolchain file is overwritten by CMake after processing the Toolchain file
(more specifically, in CMakeGenericSystem.cmake).

Or should I set this variable somewhere else?

Best,
Robin

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 13:03 Michael Ellery <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 1:01 PM, Michael Ellery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Robin Verschueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear CMake,
>>
>> We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
>> (www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
>> use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).
>>
>> I was following the instructions on this wiki page, when I got the following warning,
>> when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:
>>
>> System is unknown to cmake, create:
>> Platform/dSPACE to use this system, please send your config file to
>> [hidden email] so it can be added to cmake
>>
>> We would be glad to send it to you when it is finished, but in the meantime,
>> we cannot debug our toolchain file because of above warning.
>>
>> Is there a way of including it without having to include it in the official CMake
>> distribution? I tried setting CMAKE_MODULE_PATH but that did not help..
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Robin
>> --
>
> what happens if you set    -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=path/to/your/toolchain.cmake  when running cmake…does that give any different result?

sorry - I misunderstood the nature of your error. I think this might be relevant:

    "If your target is an embedded system without OS set CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME to "Generic”.   “

Re: Platform dSPACE

Michael Ellery

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 1:11 PM, Robin Verschueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, that makes sense.
>
> If I do that, how can I set specific settings for this Platform only? It seems that e.g.
>
> set(CMAKE_INCLUDE_FLAG_C "-J")
>
> in the Toolchain file is overwritten by CMake after processing the Toolchain file
> (more specifically, in CMakeGenericSystem.cmake).
>
> Or should I set this variable somewhere else?
>
> Best,
> Robin

I think you use the toolchain file to declare the basics (what compiler to use) and then you can add specific flags and other settings in your other CMAKE files *after* the project() declaration (which usually clobbers a bunch of settings…). If you want to have your compiler flags/settings in a reusable file, you can just use the basic include() support to import a separate file, but it still needs to come after project() most likely.

Re: Platform dSPACE

Robin Verschueren
Okay, that sounds reasonable. It's a pity, because that clutters the CMakeLists of
potentially a lot of subfolders, e.g.:

if(EMBEDDED_SYSTEM1)
    include(SYSTEM1_SPECIAL_FLAGS)
elseif(EMBEDDED_SYSTEM2)
    include(
etc.

It would be nicer to just specify that from the command line:

cmake -D CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=<EMBEDDED_SYSTEM1> ..

Thanks for the help!
Robin

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 13:17 Michael Ellery <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 1:11 PM, Robin Verschueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, that makes sense.
>
> If I do that, how can I set specific settings for this Platform only? It seems that e.g.
>
> set(CMAKE_INCLUDE_FLAG_C "-J")
>
> in the Toolchain file is overwritten by CMake after processing the Toolchain file
> (more specifically, in CMakeGenericSystem.cmake).
>
> Or should I set this variable somewhere else?
>
> Best,
> Robin

I think you use the toolchain file to declare the basics (what compiler to use) and then you can add specific flags and other settings in your other CMAKE files *after* the project() declaration (which usually clobbers a bunch of settings…). If you want to have your compiler flags/settings in a reusable file, you can just use the basic include() support to import a separate file, but it still needs to come after project() most likely.

Re: Platform dSPACE

Nils Gladitz-2
On 23.06.2017 21:47, Robin Verschueren wrote:
Dear CMake,

We are trying to build our application for the dSPACE embedded system
(www.dspace.com), more specifically their MicroAutobox-II. This makes
use of a specific compiler called mccppc (Microtec C/C++ PowerPC compiler).

I was following the instructions on this wiki page, when I got the following warning,
when trying to use a custom 'Toolchain' file:

System is unknown to cmake, create:

Platform/dSPACE to use this system, please send your config file to

[hidden email] so it can be added to cmake

We would be glad to send it to you when it is finished, but in the meantime,
we cannot debug our toolchain file because of above warning.

Is there a way of including it without having to include it in the official CMake
distribution? I tried setting CMAKE_MODULE_PATH but that did not help..

In the Toolchain file:
    set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME dSPACE)

    list(APPEND CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR})

Then having Platform/dSPACE.cmake next to your toolchain file should work (works for me).

Nils

Re: Platform dSPACE

Robin Verschueren
Dear Nils,

Perfect! This was exactly what I was looking for.
It works, and the CMAKE_INCLUDE_FLAG_C
is not overwritten.

Thanks,
Robin

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 13:29 Nils Gladitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've got a follow-up question about cross-compiling for dSpace. My Toolchain file so far:

set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME dSpace)
list(APPEND CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR})

file(TO_CMAKE_PATH "C:\\Program Files\\dSPACE RCPHIL 2016-B" DSPACE_TOOLS)
set(DSPACE_PPCTOOLS ${DSPACE_TOOLS}/Compiler/PPCTools)

find_program(CMAKE_C_COMPILER NAMES ${DSPACE_PPCTOOLS}/bin/mccppc.exe)
find_program(CMAKE_C_COMPILER NAMES ${DSPACE_PPCTOOLS}/bin/cccppc.exe)

find_program(CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM ${DSPACE_TOOLS}/Exe/DSMAKE.EXE)

set(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH ${DSPACE_PPCTOOLS})

set(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_PROGRAM NEVER)
set(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_LIBRARY ONLY)
set(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_INCLUDE ONLY)

CMake is actually able to locate the C compiler (called "mccppc.exe") and CMake thus tries to compile a test program ('CompilerIdC.c'). I can compile this source file 'by hand' with said compiler. However, from CMake (which automatically uses MSBuild.exe), I get the error output below.

How can I circumvent MSBuild.exe and/or the attempted loading of the SDK? Do I forget to set some other important variables (e.g. CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM seems to be ignored?)

The C compiler "C:/Program Files/dSPACE RCPHIL 2016-B/Compiler/PPCTools/bin/mccppc.exe" is not able to compile a simple test program.
  It fails with the following output:

Compiling the C compiler identification source file "CMakeCCompilerId.c" failed.
Compiler: C:/Program Files/dSPACE RCPHIL 2016-B/Compiler/PPCTools/bin/mccppc.exe
Build flags:
Id flags:
The output was:
1

Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 15.1.1012.6693
Build started 8/11/2017 11:34:36 AM.
Project "C:\Users\SYSCOP\Documents\GitHub\acados-master\build\CMakeFiles\3.8.2\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v141\Toolset.targets(34,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution". [C:\Users\SYSCOP\Documents\GitHub\acados-master\build\CMakeFiles\3.8.2\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj]
Done Building Project "C:\Users\SYSCOP\Documents\GitHub\acados-master\build\CMakeFiles\3.8.2\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.
Build FAILED.