Parsing XML from CMAke

Martin Guillon
Hi,

IN our project we currently use ini file for configuration and so i read them from CMake.
I am thinking about using XML because it allows me a lot more things.
SO i was wondering if i could parse XML files from CMake ?

Thanks

Re: Parsing XML from CMAke

Tyler Roscoe
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:10:29AM +0200, Martin Guillon wrote:
> IN our project we currently use ini file for configuration and so i read them from CMake.
> I am thinking about using XML because it allows me a lot more things.
> SO i was wondering if i could parse XML files from CMake ?

What kind of configuration are you reading from these ini files with
CMake?

AFAIK CMake has no native xml support. You could probably hack something
together but if you're reading CMake configuration data, I would store
that in a format that is as friendly as possible for CMake. Thus, I
would choose to use a CMake script. Something like:

set (var1 "value1")
set (var2 "value2")

It's really the same as XML, just with different syntax :).

tyler

Re: Parsing XML from CMAke

Martin Guillon
Those configuration files are read by perl scripts and CMake scripts. IN them we store 3rd parties info live version, local path, include path relative ...
So I need to find a syntax easy enough for CMake to parse it but complex enough too.

Currently I use ini files, and so for a third party, in order to create a section for it I would have to create sections prefixes like:
[3RD - QT]
VERSION=4.5.1
PATH=...
INCLUDE=include

That would work but I find it quite "heavy", that s why I was thinking about XML

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:10:29AM +0200, Martin Guillon wrote:
> IN our project we currently use ini file for configuration and so i read them from CMake.
> I am thinking about using XML because it allows me a lot more things.
> SO i was wondering if i could parse XML files from CMake ?

What kind of configuration are you reading from these ini files with
CMake?

AFAIK CMake has no native xml support. You could probably hack something
together but if you're reading CMake configuration data, I would store
that in a format that is as friendly as possible for CMake. Thus, I
would choose to use a CMake script. Something like:

set (var1 "value1")
set (var2 "value2")

It's really the same as XML, just with different syntax :).

tyler

Re: Parsing XML from CMAke

Michael Jackson
Um, couldn't you just use the FIND_PACKAGE( Qt4 REQUIRED ) and others
like that to find your 3rd party packages? Just a suggestion without
knowing your build system in detail..

Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio

On Sep 29, 2009, at 11:17 AM, Martin Guillon wrote:

> Those configuration files are read by perl scripts and CMake
> scripts. IN them we store 3rd parties info live version, local path,
> include path relative ...
> So I need to find a syntax easy enough for CMake to parse it but
> complex enough too.
>
> Currently I use ini files, and so for a third party, in order to
> create a section for it I would have to create sections prefixes like:
> [3RD - QT]
> VERSION=4.5.1
> PATH=...
> INCLUDE=include
>
> That would work but I find it quite "heavy", that s why I was
> thinking about XML

Re: Parsing XML from CMAke

Martin Guillon
I can to check the version but that s not enough. We also put the list of libs we link with and the internal directory structure of the 3rd party, which cmake doesn't know