Quantcast

Nonsensical errors returned when dlls needed for execute_process aren't found.

Nonsensical errors returned when dlls needed for execute_process aren't found.

James Bigler
I've filed a bug where execute_process returns a nonsensical error code (with no error message) when trying to run a program that can't find all the dlls it needs to run.

http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=9258

Has anyone else experience this?  It took me a lot of head scratching to determine what was going wrong, because I wasn't getting reasonable error message (or any for that matter).

James

Re: Nonsensical errors returned when dlls needed for execute_process aren't found.

Tyler Roscoe
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:50:48AM -0600, James Bigler wrote:
> I've filed a bug where execute_process returns a nonsensical error code
> (with no error message) when trying to run a program that can't find all the
> dlls it needs to run.
>
> http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=9258
>
> Has anyone else experience this?  It took me a lot of head scratching to

I think we saw something similar when getting our unit tests set up (I
think we had an even more pathological case where the unit test was
finding the wrong versions of the right DLLs). I agree that the
resulting problem is confusing and tricky to debug.

I'm not sure how much CMake can help, though. Isn't this more of a
weakness in Windows error reporting?

tyler