Make Visual Studio stop on error

Rob Boehne

All,

We’re really loving CMake here! And we’ve been slowly figuring out how to make things work for our legacy C/C++ project.

One improvement we want to make is to tell cmake to generate Visual Studio projects that stop building when a dependency target fails.

Can something be set in the Visual Studio generator, or on the cmake –build command line to do that?

The reason is that when a target fails, it keeps compiling 8000 source files, and we have to search Jenkins (web-based) logs of stdout/stderr to find what actually failed.  It also chews up resources with no benefit.

Thanks,

Rob

cid:image002.png@01D3D0E3.DCFE6710

Rob Boehne

Senior Software Architect | Datalogics, Inc.

datalogics.com | blogs.datalogics.com

Connect with us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

Re: Make Visual Studio stop on error

frodak17

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 10:16 AM Rob Boehne <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

We’re really loving CMake here! And we’ve been slowly figuring out how to make things work for our legacy C/C++ project.

One improvement we want to make is to tell cmake to generate Visual Studio projects that stop building when a dependency target fails.

Can something be set in the Visual Studio generator, or on the cmake –build command line to do that?

The reason is that when a target fails, it keeps compiling 8000 source files, and we have to search Jenkins (web-based) logs of stdout/stderr to find what actually failed.  It also chews up resources with no benefit.

Thanks,

Rob

It seems that Visual Studio requires an addon to support this kind of behaviour.

image001.png (166K) Download Attachment

Re: Make Visual Studio stop on error

Rob Boehne

Thank you!

But wow, I’m shocked that it can’t do this.  It’s surprising that it’s not the default, let alone needs an add-on.

Re: Make Visual Studio stop on error

J Decker
well you can just ctrl-break and stop it.
a lot of times changing things doesn't cause everything to rebuild, so while fixing that small nuisance ... ya nevermind.