Linking GSL to cmake using command line

Sachithra Weerasooriya
Hi CMake community!
I am having trouble linking GSL to cmake using command line. I am using a Mac. Can someone please help me?

Thank you!
Best regards,
Sachi

Re: Linking GSL to cmake using command line

Raymond Wan-2
Hi Sachi,

Unfortunately, the short answer is "no".  I think you misunderstand
what CMake is.  One way to summarise it is that it allows developers
of programs to describe/explain how to compile and link software.  For
example, suppose there is a program X and it uses the GSL library.  A
programmer might use CMake to explain how GSL can link with X on Mac,
Linux, etc. -- across various platforms.  This will make it easier for
the end user.

If you are an end user (i.e., you didn't make the program X), then you
need CMake isn't for you.  I'm afraid you might have to read the GSL
documentation for Mac, instead.  If you are the developer of X, then
you might want to go through the various CMake tutorials and give it a
try -- then, if you're still stuck, post what you got so far so that
someone can help you.

Based on what you've asked, my guess is that CMake isn't what you
should be looking into.

Ray

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Sachithra Weerasooriya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi CMake community!
> I am having trouble linking GSL to cmake using command line. I am using a Mac. Can someone please help me?
>
> Thank you!
> Best regards,
> Sachi

Fwd: Linking GSL to cmake using command line

Raymond Wan-2
Hi Sachi and everyone,

Sorry, I didn't realise her original message wasn't CC'ed to the list.
Please keep replies to the list, Sachi, unless there's a good reason
you shouldn't.  It will also allow someone to jump in if I've said
something incorrectly about your problem.

Ray

Re: Fwd: Linking GSL to cmake using command line

Avraham Shukron
Hi Sachi!

Could you paste a minimal CMakeLists.txt file that demonstrate the problem, along with details about your OS version and how did you install GSL?

Thanks!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ray!
> Thank you  for your prompt reply! I appreciate it. Actually I am trying to install a package that uses cmake. Although GSL is installed in my machine, cmake can’t find the GSL directory.
>
> Best regards,
> Sachi
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 24, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Raymond Wan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sachi,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the short answer is "no".  I think you misunderstand
> > what CMake is.  One way to summarise it is that it allows developers
> > of programs to describe/explain how to compile and link software.  For
> > example, suppose there is a program X and it uses the GSL library.  A
> > programmer might use CMake to explain how GSL can link with X on Mac,
> > Linux, etc. -- across various platforms.  This will make it easier for
> > the end user.
> >
> > If you are an end user (i.e., you didn't make the program X), then you
> > need CMake isn't for you.  I'm afraid you might have to read the GSL
> > documentation for Mac, instead.  If you are the developer of X, then
> > you might want to go through the various CMake tutorials and give it a
> > try -- then, if you're still stuck, post what you got so far so that
> > someone can help you.
> >
> > Based on what you've asked, my guess is that CMake isn't what you
> > should be looking into.
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Sachithra Weerasooriya
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi CMake community!
> >> I am having trouble linking GSL to cmake using command line. I am using a Mac. Can someone please help me?
> >>
> >> Thank you!
> >> Best regards,
> >> Sachi
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Powered by www.kitware.com
> >>
> >> Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
> >>
> >> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
> >>
> >> CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
> >> CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
> >> CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
> >>
> >> Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Re: Fwd: Linking GSL to cmake using command line

Avraham Shukron
The macro looks fine (assuming you actually call it somewhere).
And I also assume that the line that fails is the find_package(GSL REQUIRED)

I suspect that it fails because you installed GSL in a local directory that is not in a location known to cmake (E.g not in /usr/local/lib or something similar)

Can you specify the path you installed GSL to?

In order for CMake to find package in a non-standard location, you can set the GSL_ROOT cmake variable before calling find_package(GSL).
You should set it to wherever you installed the GSL library locally.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 9:37 PM Sachithra Weerasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Avraham!
I installed GSL manually using in a local directory. OS version is macOS Mojave 10.14.5. Here's part of the file that looks for gsl:
#
# How we find GSL and set it up
#
macro(find_gsl)
find_package(GSL REQUIRED)
list(APPEND VR_INCLUDE_DIRS ${GSL_INCLUDE_DIRS})
list(APPEND VR_LIBS ${GSL_LIBRARIES})
endmacro()

#

Thank you!
Best Regards,
Sachi

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ray!
> Thank you  for your prompt reply! I appreciate it. Actually I am trying to install a package that uses cmake. Although GSL is installed in my machine, cmake can’t find the GSL directory.
>
> Best regards,
> Sachi
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 24, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Raymond Wan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sachi,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the short answer is "no".  I think you misunderstand
> > what CMake is.  One way to summarise it is that it allows developers
> > of programs to describe/explain how to compile and link software.  For
> > example, suppose there is a program X and it uses the GSL library.  A
> > programmer might use CMake to explain how GSL can link with X on Mac,
> > Linux, etc. -- across various platforms.  This will make it easier for
> > the end user.
> >
> > If you are an end user (i.e., you didn't make the program X), then you
> > need CMake isn't for you.  I'm afraid you might have to read the GSL
> > documentation for Mac, instead.  If you are the developer of X, then
> > you might want to go through the various CMake tutorials and give it a
> > try -- then, if you're still stuck, post what you got so far so that
> > someone can help you.
> >
> > Based on what you've asked, my guess is that CMake isn't what you
> > should be looking into.
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Sachithra Weerasooriya
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi CMake community!
> >> I am having trouble linking GSL to cmake using command line. I am using a Mac. Can someone please help me?
> >>
> >> Thank you!
> >> Best regards,
> >> Sachi
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Powered by www.kitware.com
> >>
> >> Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
> >>
> >> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
> >>
> >> CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
> >> CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
> >> CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
> >>
> >> Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Re: Fwd: Linking GSL to cmake using command line

Sachithra Weerasooriya
 I did install it in a non standard path. Which is why was trying to figure out how to link gsl. I couldn’t use homebrew since I don’t have root permissions on the machine. Do you just edit the text file just before calling find_package statement like this ?
GSL_ROOT_DIR=\path\to\gsl

Thanks!
Best regards,
Sachi

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ray!
> Thank you  for your prompt reply! I appreciate it. Actually I am trying to install a package that uses cmake. Although GSL is installed in my machine, cmake can’t find the GSL directory.
>
> Best regards,
> Sachi
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 24, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Raymond Wan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sachi,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the short answer is "no".  I think you misunderstand
> > what CMake is.  One way to summarise it is that it allows developers
> > of programs to describe/explain how to compile and link software.  For
> > example, suppose there is a program X and it uses the GSL library.  A
> > programmer might use CMake to explain how GSL can link with X on Mac,
> > Linux, etc. -- across various platforms.  This will make it easier for
> > the end user.
> >
> > If you are an end user (i.e., you didn't make the program X), then you
> > need CMake isn't for you.  I'm afraid you might have to read the GSL
> > documentation for Mac, instead.  If you are the developer of X, then
> > you might want to go through the various CMake tutorials and give it a
> > try -- then, if you're still stuck, post what you got so far so that
> > someone can help you.
> >
> > Based on what you've asked, my guess is that CMake isn't what you
> > should be looking into.
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Sachithra Weerasooriya
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi CMake community!
> >> I am having trouble linking GSL to cmake using command line. I am using a Mac. Can someone please help me?
> >>
> >> Thank you!
> >> Best regards,
> >> Sachi
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Powered by www.kitware.com
> >>
> >> Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
> >>
> >> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
> >>
> >> CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
> >> CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
> >> CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
> >>
> >> Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Re: Fwd: Linking GSL to cmake using command line

Avraham Shukron
No, setting a variable in cmake is done with the 'set(GSL_ROOT /path/to/gsl)' command.

You can alternatively set a similarly named environment variable when invoking cmake:

GSL_ROOT="/path/to/gsl" cmake <path to source dir>