LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Hendrik Greving
Hello,

w/ LOCATION property made obsolete, how can one read a target's LOCATION for imported targets? Previously, IMPORTED_LOCATION was conveyed for such targets, but reading the LOCATION property of imported targets leads to the same warning as for project targets?

Thanks in advance

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Robert Maynard
With generator expressions making the reading of  LOCATION non-viable
during configuration time ( since the actual location is now evaluated
at generate time ), the general solution is that you need to move your
LOCATION reading logic also to generate time. In general this means
using something like file(GENERATE ) to dump the location to disk.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:05 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> w/ LOCATION property made obsolete, how can one read a target's LOCATION for imported targets? Previously, IMPORTED_LOCATION was conveyed for such targets, but reading the LOCATION property of imported targets leads to the same warning as for project targets?
>
> Thanks in advance

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Hendrik Greving
So IMPORTED_LOCATION is obsolete as well? (since reading LOCATION is obsolete)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> w/ LOCATION property made obsolete, how can one read a target's LOCATION for imported targets? Previously, IMPORTED_LOCATION was conveyed for such targets, but reading the LOCATION property of imported targets leads to the same warning as for project targets?
>
> Thanks in advance

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Robert Maynard
I believe that IMPORTED_LOCATION is safe to use.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:27 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So IMPORTED_LOCATION is obsolete as well? (since reading LOCATION is obsolete)
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:39 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> With generator expressions making the reading of  LOCATION non-viable
>> during configuration time ( since the actual location is now evaluated
>> at generate time ), the general solution is that you need to move your
>> LOCATION reading logic also to generate time. In general this means
>> using something like file(GENERATE ) to dump the location to disk.
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:05 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > w/ LOCATION property made obsolete, how can one read a target's LOCATION for imported targets? Previously, IMPORTED_LOCATION was conveyed for such targets, but reading the LOCATION property of imported targets leads to the same warning as for project targets?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> > --
>> >
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com
>> >
>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>> >
>> > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
>> >
>> > CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
>> > CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
>> > CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
>> >
>> > Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Hendrik Greving
Is IMPORTED_LOCATION a property one can read? I was under the assumption that setting IMPORTED_LOCATION becomes LOCATION (for imported targets). And as such, reading this LOCATION generates the warning. I just tried and it indeed didn't let me read IMPORTED_LOCATION.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So IMPORTED_LOCATION is obsolete as well? (since reading LOCATION is obsolete)
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:39 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> With generator expressions making the reading of  LOCATION non-viable
>> during configuration time ( since the actual location is now evaluated
>> at generate time ), the general solution is that you need to move your
>> LOCATION reading logic also to generate time. In general this means
>> using something like file(GENERATE ) to dump the location to disk.
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:05 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > w/ LOCATION property made obsolete, how can one read a target's LOCATION for imported targets? Previously, IMPORTED_LOCATION was conveyed for such targets, but reading the LOCATION property of imported targets leads to the same warning as for project targets?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> > --
>> >
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com
>> >
>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>> >
>> > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
>> >
>> > CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
>> > CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
>> > CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
>> >
>> > Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Robert Maynard
Looking at CMP0026 more, I believe should be able to read either the
IMPORTED_LOCATION or LOCATION for any import target without triggering
the policy, as the policy only pertains to 'build' targets and not
'import' targets.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 4:51 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is IMPORTED_LOCATION a property one can read? I was under the assumption that setting IMPORTED_LOCATION becomes LOCATION (for imported targets). And as such, reading this LOCATION generates the warning. I just tried and it indeed didn't let me read IMPORTED_LOCATION.
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 12:36 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that IMPORTED_LOCATION is safe to use.
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:27 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > So IMPORTED_LOCATION is obsolete as well? (since reading LOCATION is obsolete)

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Hendrik Greving
Ok! Except (see above) I do not think one can actually read IMPORTED_LOCATION, can I?
Thanks! - again!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is IMPORTED_LOCATION a property one can read? I was under the assumption that setting IMPORTED_LOCATION becomes LOCATION (for imported targets). And as such, reading this LOCATION generates the warning. I just tried and it indeed didn't let me read IMPORTED_LOCATION.
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 12:36 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that IMPORTED_LOCATION is safe to use.
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:27 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > So IMPORTED_LOCATION is obsolete as well? (since reading LOCATION is obsolete)

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Robert Maynard
I am not seeing any cmake errors/warnings when I do so :)
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:15 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok! Except (see above) I do not think one can actually read IMPORTED_LOCATION, can I?
> Thanks! - again!
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:07 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at CMP0026 more, I believe should be able to read either the
>> IMPORTED_LOCATION or LOCATION for any import target without triggering
>> the policy, as the policy only pertains to 'build' targets and not
>> 'import' targets.
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 4:51 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Is IMPORTED_LOCATION a property one can read? I was under the assumption that setting IMPORTED_LOCATION becomes LOCATION (for imported targets). And as such, reading this LOCATION generates the warning. I just tried and it indeed didn't let me read IMPORTED_LOCATION.

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Hendrik Greving
Ok, it seems to be IMPORT_LOCATION, not IMPORTED_LOCATION
We have a (.cmake) file that shared among things that use it for build targets and external projects for imported targets. Is there a way to find out whether a target is imported or a build target?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok! Except (see above) I do not think one can actually read IMPORTED_LOCATION, can I?
> Thanks! - again!
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:07 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at CMP0026 more, I believe should be able to read either the
>> IMPORTED_LOCATION or LOCATION for any import target without triggering
>> the policy, as the policy only pertains to 'build' targets and not
>> 'import' targets.
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 4:51 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Is IMPORTED_LOCATION a property one can read? I was under the assumption that setting IMPORTED_LOCATION becomes LOCATION (for imported targets). And as such, reading this LOCATION generates the warning. I just tried and it indeed didn't let me read IMPORTED_LOCATION.

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Robert Maynard
Yes you can get if a target is imported by seeing if the IMPORTED
property is set to true. (
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/prop_tgt/IMPORTED.html )
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:24 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, it seems to be IMPORT_LOCATION, not IMPORTED_LOCATION
> We have a (.cmake) file that shared among things that use it for build targets and external projects for imported targets. Is there a way to find out whether a target is imported or a build target?
>

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:19 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am not seeing any cmake errors/warnings when I do so :)
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:15 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ok! Except (see above) I do not think one can actually read IMPORTED_LOCATION, can I?
>> > Thanks! - again!

Re: LOCATION/CMP0026/export/import

Hendrik Greving
Ok, that works for us!