LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH - CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH - CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

Biddiscombe, John A.
I am in the process of switching the hdf5 library used by paraview from the older 1.6.x to the newer 1.8.x and I encountered a problem caused by the fact that the new variable
CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
is set by hdf1.8.x when included in the paraview main project - and it overrides the LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH set by paraview (also, executable/archive dirs etc), causing all the directories to be wrong in the main paraview build.

A quick fix is to set CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY/etc in the paraview cmakelists, but my question is

Is is safe for me to essentially do a search/replace on all
LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH and replace with CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
in all cmakelists files in paraview (or any other project for example).

By which I mean, is there any real functional difference, or is it just a name change?

thanks

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/

Re: LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH - CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

Michael Jackson
John,
   I actually have this same problem with a ParaView plugin that I am
developing. I have the following in the plugin's CMakeLists.txt file
( where MXA_OUTPUT_DIRS_DEFINED _is_ defined in the before the
CMakeLists.txt is included via an 'add_subdirectory()' command from
the MXADataModelParaViewImport.cmake file.

#--------------------------------------------------------------
if ( NOT MXA_OUTPUT_DIRS_DEFINED )
# ---------- Setup output Directories -------------------------
SET (CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
   ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin
   CACHE PATH
   "Single Directory for all Libraries"
   )

# --------- Setup the Executable output Directory -------------
SET (CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
   ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin
   CACHE PATH
   "Single Directory for all Executables."
   )

# --------- Setup the Executable output Directory -------------
SET (CMAKE_ARCHIVE_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
   ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin
   CACHE PATH
   "Single Directory for all static libraries."
   )
endif()
if (NOT DEFINED CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY)
     set (CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH})
endif()

if (NOT DEFINED CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY)
     set (CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH})
endif()

if (NOT DEFINED EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH)
   set (EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH ${CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY})
endif()

if (NOT DEFINED LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH)
   set (LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH ${CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY})
endif()

Maybe this can be used in the

Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio