Interaction between source COMPILE_FLAGS and directory COMPILE_OPTIONS

Interaction between source COMPILE_FLAGS and directory COMPILE_OPTIONS

braden
The documentation for the source property COMPILE_FLAGS describes it
as, "Additional flags to be added when compiling this source file."
However, when using the Visual Studio 2013 generator (at least), it appears
to replace (rather than complement) the options added via the directory
property COMPILE_OPTIONS.

It (i.e., source COMPILE_FLAGS) also replaces options added by setting the
CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS variable.

Is this the intended behavior?

Braden

Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>

Re: Interaction between source COMPILE_FLAGS and directory COMPILE_OPTIONS

braden
On Wed, 2014-11-19 at 22:55 +0000, Braden McDaniel wrote:

> The documentation for the source property COMPILE_FLAGS describes it
> as, "Additional flags to be added when compiling this source file."
> However, when using the Visual Studio 2013 generator (at least), it appears
> to replace (rather than complement) the options added via the directory
> property COMPILE_OPTIONS.
>
> It (i.e., source COMPILE_FLAGS) also replaces options added by setting the
> CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS variable.
>
> Is this the intended behavior?

Actually, let me amend this a bit... Upon further testing, the flags
that seem to be affected are the ones that disable warnings (i.e.,
"/wdXXXX").  That is, if I add these flags in the source COMPILE_FLAGS,
they replace any "/wdXXXX" flags specified in the directory
COMPILE_OPTIONS. AFAICT so far, other flags in the directory
COMPILE_OPTIONS are left intact.

I am using CMake 3.0.2.

--
Braden McDaniel <[hidden email]>