Intel Compiler with OSX 10.6

Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]
Hello,

It appear the following file is out of date:

CMake/Modules/Platform/Darwin-icc.cmake

I have just starting using the Intel Compiler on my apple. It appear that this file is very 10.4 specific, in that it does not set a lot of variable unless we are running 10.4. Specifically I noticed that I am not getting any optimization or debug compiler flags.

I built a quick experimental build, which makes me think that things are functioning:

I am not familiar with these platform configuration files, nor the details of the differences of OS X compilers as I have always just let cmake handle it :)
Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Bradley Lowekamp

Lockheed Martin Contractor for

National Library of Medicine

Re: Intel Compiler with OSX 10.6

Michael Jackson
I think I wrote part of that file. Didn't realize I was putting any OS
X 10.4 specific items in there. Any ways, I don't have access to ICC
anymore so you will probably have to experiment with some settings and
then update the darwin-icc.cmake files. Sorry I can not be of any more
help.

Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio

On Dec 1, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It appear the following file is out of date:
>
> CMake/Modules/Platform/Darwin-icc.cmake
>

> I have just starting using the Intel Compiler on my apple. It appear
> that this file is very 10.4 specific, in that it does not set a lot
> of variable unless we are running 10.4. Specifically I noticed that
> I am not getting any optimization or debug compiler flags.
>
> I built a quick experimental build, which makes me think that things
> are functioning:
>
> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/buildSummary.php?buildid=483919
>
> I am not familiar with these platform configuration files, nor the
> details of the differences of OS X compilers as I have always just
> let cmake handle it :)
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Brad

> Bradley Lowekamp
> Lockheed Martin Contractor for
> National Library of Medicine

Re: Intel Compiler with OSX 10.6

Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]

What I don't understand is how the different files in the Platform's directory work. There appease to be an OS, compiler, and OS-compiler. As the intel compiler icc and icpc tries to emulate gcc, g++ respectfully on both the mac and linux, I would think that it may make since for there to be a icc.cmake file which takes care of them both.

Is there documentation (or readable source code) which could help me understand how things in this directory work?

Thanks,
Brad

On Dec 1, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:

> I think I wrote part of that file. Didn't realize I was putting any OS
> X 10.4 specific items in there. Any ways, I don't have access to ICC
> anymore so you will probably have to experiment with some settings and
> then update the darwin-icc.cmake files. Sorry I can not be of any more
> help.

> Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
> BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
> Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio
>
> On Dec 1, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It appear the following file is out of date:
>>
>> CMake/Modules/Platform/Darwin-icc.cmake
>>

>> I have just starting using the Intel Compiler on my apple. It appear
>> that this file is very 10.4 specific, in that it does not set a lot
>> of variable unless we are running 10.4. Specifically I noticed that
>> I am not getting any optimization or debug compiler flags.
>>
>> I built a quick experimental build, which makes me think that things
>> are functioning:
>>
>> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/buildSummary.php?buildid=483919
>>
>> I am not familiar with these platform configuration files, nor the
>> details of the differences of OS X compilers as I have always just
>> let cmake handle it :)
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Brad

>> Bradley Lowekamp
>> Lockheed Martin Contractor for
>> Office of High Performance Computing and Communications
>> National Library of Medicine
>> [hidden email]

Re: Intel Compiler with OSX 10.6

Michael Jackson
Just took a look at the Darwin-icc.cmake file. Yep, that is old. You
can try a few things.

  You can just move aside the Darwin-icc.cmake file and see what
happens. It might work. I vaguely remember back in the ICC Version 9
days with OS X 10.4 that ICC did not like a few of the flags that
CMake stuck on the compile/link flags. Fought with that for a while.

  You can also copy everything from the Darwin.cmake into the Darwin-
icc.cmake file and try that. Then Adjust that file as necessary.

   Sorry, don't have time/access to ICC any more on OS X.